PDA

View Full Version : Reeding a Naill Chanter

Mark J.
28-10-09, 05:00 PM
Anyone got any good insight into reeds they've used to get an ABW Naill going sweet?

I've used several now & they're all going in the direction of needing a hole or two carved.

I'm speaking to D. Naill & Co. just now so they might offer (hopefully) to take the chanter & have a look at it, but I'm just wondering what other people have used?

Sean
29-10-09, 04:03 PM
I like a MacPhee in mine, though right now I'm using one of Steve's reeds in it with no problems.

getawaytae
29-10-09, 08:21 PM
Is that the same as a Niall?
If it is I use Shepherd reeds in mine and it pretty good, but it comes down to what you know. My brother, a Niall dealer uses Warnock or that style of reed to get the best out of it.

Mark J.
30-10-09, 12:14 PM
Is that the same as a Niall?
If it is I use Shepherd reeds in mine and it pretty good, but it comes down to what you know. My brother, a Niall dealer uses Warnock or that style of reed to get the best out of it.

Mmm...if I spied a David Naill chanter with "D. Niall" written on it, I would suspect it was about as genuine as those genuine "Rolecks" watches you see about...

Here's a wee bit about Les (http://www.naill-bagpipes.com/Naill_bagpipes.htm)- David & Naill being his two sons that he named his business after (or so I'm led to believe).
...............Double post automerged..............
Thanks by the way - I've tried them & no joy!

I've a few arrived yesterday - I'll try them out today & see what I think

getawaytae
30-10-09, 07:05 PM
It one of they funny spelly say'y things!

weasclan
01-11-09, 04:53 PM
Anyone got any good insight into reeds they've used to get an ABW Naill going sweet?

I've used several now & they're all going in the direction of needing a hole or two carved.

I'm speaking to D. Naill & Co. just now so they might offer (hopefully) to take the chanter & have a look at it, but I'm just wondering what other people have used?

Have you tried Troys or Apps?

Matt

Salem Piper
18-01-10, 05:35 AM
Well, you must have been around the horn on this one by now, but I've been using Warnock reeds by David Chesney and they work fine, no tape and no carving.

Cheers,

getawaytae
19-01-10, 02:47 PM
The newer Sheperd's don't go in the Naill band chanter, best stick to Irish style reeds.

redneck
19-01-10, 09:23 PM
best stick to Irish style reeds.

LMFAO............please do enlighten us as to what an Irish style reed sounds like.

rpeitzsch
19-01-10, 10:52 PM
From what I've heard, they only play jigs. :poke: :bg:

Jamesinator
21-07-10, 05:47 PM
I've got a Shepherd in mine. Sounds excellent.

Fred Fomm
21-07-10, 06:01 PM
Since this thread has been brought back, I do have a mid-90's ABW Naill and it worked well with the Apps reeds I had back then... Actually it's been a long time since I last played that beauty; might give it a go this week!

Fred

madpiper
21-07-10, 11:52 PM
I use Colin MacLellan reeds and have had excellent results
http://www.pipereeds.com/

I did however take the time to shave a few of the holes on my chanter - something that seems to be typical of a Naill chanter. carving a chanter isn't a terrible thing at all - most solo players I know have "customized" their solo chanter. I would suggest finding someone with a great ear and experience to help you out.

S. Lloyd
22-07-10, 12:51 AM
The MacLellan, Apps, Ross, Troy all work well in my old Naill, but the one that stands out for me is the MacPhee
Awesome reeds, I love 'em!