PDA

View Full Version : SM90 drone reeds

piperdude89
09-12-09, 04:01 AM
I was just giving a set of Shepard SM90 drone reeds. I havent herd anything about them. Do people like them? Are they good? Does anyone of tips on setting them up? I tune anywhere from 477-482.
If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Scarlet O'Hair
09-12-09, 02:43 PM
I have never had much luck with them. I find them finicky to adjust, and the part you turn to tighten the "trombone" never seems to tighten enough, so when you push the reed into the seat, it shortens.

That being said, I have heard the some people really like them....

Gord MacDonald
09-12-09, 05:39 PM
I have had zero luck with SM90's, I would only use them if there was no other option. As Carrie said, they are finicky and won't stay adjusted to where you want them. Save yourself some trouble and buy Canning or Ezeedrone. Both plug and play. What kind off pipes do you play?

Cheers

Gord

ppyper1
09-12-09, 06:29 PM
Here is a 3rd in foregoing the sm90's. I was having issues with synthetic bass reeds so I gave them a try as I"d tried just about everything else. Hard to manipulate, hard to adjust, not a fan.

Currently in love with shepherd cane reeds.

Dirty Ernie
09-12-09, 06:34 PM
Wow. What's up with the rash of SM90 threads ?

Try them in your pipe, let us know what you thought.......

Scarlet O'Hair
09-12-09, 10:25 PM
Absolutely try them! If they work in your pipe, and give you the sound you like, embrace them! We all know that not all products work in all pipes or will please all folks....

Gene Mitchell
09-12-09, 11:24 PM
the biggest problem I ran into was the bridle getting stuck so when you went to make a small adjustment you pushed so hard it ended up going all the way. But once you set these they are set so they are simple and nice. Its all about tone and for many beginners they cant tell too much of a difference.

piperdude89
10-12-09, 12:45 AM
Thanks everyone. I currently have a set of McCallums. Set up with a V3 system, Crozier Drone reeds, I have a Wooden McCallum chanter, and sheperd chanter reed. I like the sound of my pipes right now..wish they were a little easier..but meh..i can live.
I just thought i would see what people thought about the SM90's..I was given them for free from a pipe band that got a whole supply, and they dont want them because they look like to much work...and its a beginnerish type band. So i got them, said thanks, and said i would see how they sound. Ive herd that the bass is really quiet...and i prefer a loud bass..but ive also herd that the tenors sound really good.. maybe ill try mixing my crozier bass with the SM90 tenors. Ill try a few different things and then write about what i thought.

Gene Mitchell
10-12-09, 12:53 AM
you say your pipe is hard? maybe your drone reeds could be set up better? Croziers are some of the most air efficient reeds. I would say SM90s are easier to set up not harder. Try all three and see what it sounds like before you mix them. I owned Mccallums and found Selbies excellent in them.

Also I almost forgot to mention the chanter reed is it too hard? shepherds tend to be a harder reed

Gord MacDonald
10-12-09, 12:55 AM
Thanks everyone. I currently have a set of McCallums. Set up with a V3 system, Crozier Drone reeds, I have a Wooden McCallum chanter, and sheperd chanter reed. I like the sound of my pipes right now..wish they were a little easier..but meh..i can live.
I just thought i would see what people thought about the SM90's..I was given them for free from a pipe band that got a whole supply, and they dont want them because they look like to much work...and its a beginnerish type band. So i got them, said thanks, and said i would see how they sound. Ive herd that the bass is really quiet...and i prefer a loud bass..but ive also herd that the tenors sound really good.. maybe ill try mixing my crozier bass with the SM90 tenors. Ill try a few different things and then write about what i thought.

Piperdude89, it sounds like you have a great set up already. I would recommend checking your bag for leaks, then set your Croziers up to take as little air as possible. You can do this by mouth blowing them in the drone and adjusting bridles until you can shut them off by blowing hard. Then try them in your pipes, depending on your chanter reed strength it may shut them off and you will have to open them up a wee bit. Remember that a tiny bridle movement makes a huge difference. Also, wet your chanter reed and give it a firm but gentle squeeze to limber it up a bit. Those things will make your pipes as easy as they can be.

Good luck!

Gord

seanreal
14-12-09, 03:54 AM
just chiming in an opinion, I have never had much luck with them.... but everyone has a way of making something different work for them.

MackANoise
27-04-10, 10:44 AM
I have had a mixture of cane reeds and and Shephards SM90's and keep on going back to the SM90s.
They can take a bit of tweaking but once set they don't cause much hassle.
We play shephards reeds also which tend to be a stronger than the average reed.:bananapiper:

getawaytae
27-04-10, 03:23 PM
SM90's have a harshness about them. If you have really mellow drones, such as McDougals or the like, you can get a good sound. However most pipes don't really suit them and then you get this harsh sound. As usual horses for courses.