PDA

View Full Version : any tips on equipment for recording?

sdcbuzz
14-12-09, 06:06 PM
I am wanting to record our rehersals,ans would like opinions on how to best record the snares.I am considering a Tascam dr-07.Any useful advice?

Thanks.
Shane

NMCustoms
15-12-09, 02:23 AM
I personally use the Edirol R-09HR by Roland (http://www.roland.com/products/en/R-09HR/) With complete control on input levels, and easy upload to your computer through SD cards... It's portable, simple to use, and very clean. I would recommend it to all!

UpstatePiper
15-12-09, 12:03 PM
I use a zoom h2 and a zoom h4. The h4 has more detail. Both are simple to use and make good recordings. I have a few samples of audio from both recorders, but they're smallpipe and fiddle. Maybe it will help anyway. Either recorder easily handles the volume of the GHB. They're really short samples because they're uncompressed wav files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a1be82c87c7e349cd9d5c56d04dfa8b02a779259 2a9a57a6947708e37b913e74

EDIT: I don't have a Zoom H4 -- it's an H4n (the new version of the H4). It's got more dedicated buttons to make it easier to use, and it's got a speaker on it too. You can't use the speaker to evaluate tone, but it's good enough to hear phrasing.

Armorican
15-12-09, 12:21 PM
We use a Zoom H4 to record all our 'big' practices - it copes well with the volume (no distortion), it has inbuilt stereo mics but you can also plug in external mics should you so wish. Great quality and very simple to use.

Mike Cole
15-12-09, 08:44 PM
I've had the Zoom H4 and I now own the H4N. Great machines with lots of features...compare the prices to other SD type recorders out there. A very solid unit.
For sound samples...check out Ken Eller's website of band recordings...he uses the H2.

Cheers.

sdcbuzz
16-12-09, 06:30 PM
thanks for the tips, I will look into them.

Dirty Ernie
16-12-09, 07:20 PM
When exploring various recording equipment I found the staff at Long and McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ )really helpful. They do a rental service too, which I used to try out a bunch of different equipment. It was really cheap too. Opted for the Tascam unit with built in burner......can't recall the model but it's a few years old now. Bought it used from them out of their rental stock for about $200........cheap.

JDubs
02-03-10, 05:21 AM
I really need one of these to put together a CD for my band ... I was wondering will there be any distortion or echo with the pipes and drums together....

All the samples i've heard have no drums this is the part that worries me

I am looking at the zoomH2 or H4N.....................:torn:

Any replies will be greatly appreciated I need to do this relatively quickly and dont wanna waste money

Armorican
02-03-10, 08:05 AM
I really need one of these to put together a CD for my band ... I was wondering will there be any distortion or echo with the pipes and drums together....

All the samples i've heard have no drums this is the part that worries me

I am looking at the zoomH2 or H4N.....................:torn:

Any replies will be greatly appreciated I need to do this relatively quickly and dont wanna waste money

We've never had a problem with pipes, bombardes, 7-8 sides and loads of percussion.