PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

Daz Gregory
04-05-10, 04:16 PM
So anybody seen it? (dumb question!)

I ask as I hear it's getting a re-release here in the summer so I'm thinking of going to watch it this time.....is it worth it? All the hype true? any thoughts?

Cheers

Daz

Heed
04-05-10, 05:04 PM
saw it Sat night, its just out on DVD, 8. Wasn't really my thing, Thought it was basically a "Dances with Wolves" rip off. Purely personal tho, AND I fell asleep for the middle hour. - Its quite long. Usually takes me about 3 times watching, counting sleeps until I see a film right through, unless I find it really good!

Daz Gregory
04-05-10, 05:13 PM
My Niece described it as "a modern version of Fern Gully"....that kinda tells me a lot!

rpeitzsch
04-05-10, 05:44 PM
The people I know that saw it in 3D said it was fantastic. I've yet to see it.

ppyper1
04-05-10, 08:35 PM
LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to see it. Oh my gosh......SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulawalla
04-05-10, 08:40 PM
I loved it, too. It was amazing. Of course, I'm not one of those people who has to analyze everything I see. If I like it, I like it. And I liked it. A lot. The effects were amazing and the story really pulls you in. I thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

UpstatePiper
04-05-10, 10:16 PM
Very clever in concept.

Guys like movies where things blow up.
Girls like movies with love and romance.

Avatar has both in large quantities -- Wife and I both enjoyed it.

If you like sci-fi its pretty good. The visual effects are stunning, and the world that's created is pretty interesting and seems fairly self-consistent. It would make a good book.

The military in the movie is unbelievably stupid. Not just from the left-wing caricature, but the tactics are profoundly stupid (to the point of getting in the way of suspension of belief).

But it's still a good movie. Not as good as "Inside Man" but better than "I am Legend."

And if anyone asks, "2012" is painfully dumb. I had to walk out on that.

jessierose
05-05-10, 01:42 AM
I thought it would have been better if it had been about 40 minutes shorter. TOO LONG!

Paulawalla
05-05-10, 05:28 AM
I love long movies. I could have sat there two and a half more hours!

janelleTG
05-05-10, 05:41 AM
saw it Sat night, its just out on DVD, 8. Wasn't really my thing, Thought it was basically a "Dances with Wolves" rip off. Purely personal tho, AND I fell asleep for the middle hour. - Its quite long. Usually takes me about 3 times watching, counting sleeps until I see a film right through, unless I find it really good!

Haha! i said the same thing when we watched it. A futuristic Dances with wolves.
The special effects were amazing but the story didn't get my blood pumping.

Very clever in concept.

Guys like movies where things blow up.
Girls like movies with love and romance.

Avatar has both in large quantities -- Wife and I both enjoyed it.

If you like sci-fi its pretty good. The visual effects are stunning, and the world that's created is pretty interesting and seems fairly self-consistent. It would make a good book.

The military in the movie is unbelievably stupid. Not just from the left-wing caricature, but the tactics are profoundly stupid (to the point of getting in the way of suspension of belief).

But it's still a good movie. Not as good as "Inside Man" but better than "I am Legend."

And if anyone asks, "2012" is painfully dumb. I had to walk out on that.
We loved 2012. Admittedly, half the fun for my husband and I, was watchng the childrens reactions to it.

jessierose
05-05-10, 03:25 PM
I agree about the Dances With Wolves thing. I said the same thing. Also....rather like the Disney Pochahontas movie plot, isn't it?
I guess because the story didn't do much for me it felt like it went on forever. I love many long, long movies. Just wasn't loving that one enough to sit there that long.

Heed
05-05-10, 04:02 PM
Thank goodness for that, I was beginning to feel like the original grumpy old codger.

Vikki
05-05-10, 06:42 PM
haven't seen it. heard soooo much hype about that i'm convinced it cant possibly live up to it. even anyway, nothing ever made me really want to watch it. was at the cinema different times when it was still showing and always went for something else

Paulawalla
06-05-10, 06:00 AM
So I guess, to sum it up: you might like it or you might not. There.

jessierose
06-05-10, 06:24 AM
Ha. You should be the movie reviewer for a paper! Excellent conclusion! :wink:
Even if someone doesn't fall in love with it, I would say it's still worth seeing.

antonieq
06-05-10, 07:35 PM

Saw HD version few days back.
Like you said , it is a Dances with Wolves rip of.
Scenery is great though.

Story sucks big time

Shipwrecked
26-06-10, 06:05 PM
Last band practice I went to a few weeks ago everyone was saying it was like Pocahantus.
I haven't seen it, and had no intention of seeing it. But everyone keeps saying it is such a good movie. I guess I will break down and rent it.

jessierose
26-06-10, 07:02 PM
I tried to watch it again with a friend who wanted to see it. It's just too long and full of cliche to sit through again. I made it about one third of the way.

ppyper1
26-06-10, 08:46 PM
I loved it. Did have a hard time watching it more than once. Loved the scenery and effects.

Masterspark
27-06-10, 04:31 AM
I saw it twice in IMAX 3D with the butt kicker seats in the theater and it was awesome. Pretty good as far as Sci-Fi goes (Im a big sci-fi nut). Story line predictable (Pochahantus, Dances with Wolves and about 10 others) but that didnt make it any less enjoyable. Ya gotta like that kind of movie. Mrs Masterspark just doesn't get sci-fi. No way, no how but I still love her ;).
I saw it with my 81 year old father and my 15 year old daughter and we all loved it.:dal:

Reid
27-06-10, 05:49 AM
I had no desire to see it. After all my frieds say it and told me how good it was checked it out. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it!!!

kiegelmann
06-07-12, 09:45 PM
not as good as i thought it was goign to be.