PDA

View Full Version : Andante snare drum volume

Moose
06-07-10, 06:25 AM
Our band has just purchased new Andante snare drums, we play 15 pipers, 6 snare and 6 bass section. The problem is the snare drums are very soft and get lost in the mix. Is there anyone with ideas or tips on how to increase the volume of the Andante drums (apart from getting more drummers). We've heard of varnishing the inside of the drum shell? Thanks

KAILY
06-07-10, 12:26 PM
Our band has just purchased new Andante snare drums, we play 15 pipers, 6 snare and 6 bass section. The problem is the snare drums are very soft and get lost in the mix. Is there anyone with ideas or tips on how to increase the volume of the Andante drums (apart from getting more drummers). We've heard of varnishing the inside of the drum shell? Thanks

Six Andante snare drums and 6 Andante bass section drums this is a nice size of a drum corps.
There should be no problem producing a well balanced harmonious band sound for 15 of a pipe corps using Andante drums if the drums are tuned and set properly.
Andante drums are first class drums and as I said before there should be no problem producing a good balanced sound, unless the drums are faulty or that the heads and snares need replaced?
Kaily

drummer dave
06-07-10, 02:03 PM
the screws around the drum try tightning them a little more try putting the hight of the snare up a bit more and a little tweek with the tork key i had tune my dads bands drums and they sound alot sharper and the volume is way better

rpeitzsch
06-07-10, 02:24 PM
What sticks are you using? Are your drummers ones that tend to play lightly? If so, either try a heavier stick or try to play heavier.

James
06-07-10, 11:00 PM
Are you using cortec heads? if so you could try changeing to remos

KAILY
07-07-10, 09:10 AM
As Rpeitzsch says, try a heavier pair of sticks eg. KP2 OR KP3 or sticks of a similar weight, make sure your snares are set properly onto the top and bottom heads so that you are producing a full snare sound.

Each drummer will play his sticks on the top head at different angles, make sure their top snare is positioned in such a way that each drummer is playing fully in the centre of their snare and not overtoning ( playing off the snare)
Overtoning will produce a very empty " tinny" sound which is quiter than a full snare sound, this is a very common fault with many drum corps.

Kaily

Robbie.Crow
07-07-10, 05:21 PM
Try getting a set of TG2's.. (the blue writing ones( by andante. They give the most volume from the Andante model.

tartaniac
24-07-10, 11:29 PM
Six bass sounds big.
Fifteen pipers sounds big.

I think about quality and suggest you search for more drummers.

Drummers who are playing to be loud are not as good as more drummers.
Drummers who play to be loud lose dynamics, expression, and clarity
And are more likely to produce individual sticking mush.
IMO.
I'd go recruiting.

I keep thinking of one of Reid Maxwell's screaming points:
No Girlie Drumming!

Nassaufiredrum
22-03-11, 04:31 PM
I have heard of some judges making mention of the volume of lack of ;re Andante's...the design of the shell lacks a "percussion hole" like the HTS and Pearls, but it has been successfully done ( drilled) so as to get more volume, my instructor noted this to me and said it works but must be done by a pro, wrong spot, and you ruin the shell, the Andante does "breath" via the entire top fulcrum area at the top head , also I heard the newer 8mm shell design has improved sound ( volume and less weight) drums for the 2011 season all have this?? not sure..gotta call Michael at drumsplus and find out

James
22-03-11, 05:21 PM
I have heard of some judges making mention of the volume of lack of ;re Andante's...the design of the shell lacks a "percussion hole" like the HTS and Pearls, but it has been successfully done ( drilled) so as to get more volume, my instructor noted this to me and said it works but must be done by a pro, wrong spot, and you ruin the shell, the Andante does "breath" via the entire top fulcrum area at the top head , also I heard the newer 8mm shell design has improved sound ( volume and less weight) drums for the 2011 season all have this?? not sure..gotta call Michael at drumsplus and find out
If they ever release a drum with a hole in the shell it would be easy to copy the position, which would help alot of bands gain a new sound, something i think is really lacking with andante there is just no depth. plenty of snare but they just dont carry thier volume.