PDA

View Full Version : New Foods

dharron
19-07-10, 05:20 AM
I was just discussing with the kids at the table some of the different foods that we eat. Present were my stepson, Felipe and daughter, Andrea. Also there were Camila, Felipe's girlfriend and her niece, also Andrea's best friend, Chiara.

We talked about some of the more "exotic" foods I've eaten, such as crocodile, ostrich, alpaca, kangaroo, rabbit, cuy (guinea pig), horse and a few others. Also entering into the discussion were organ meats such as heart, liver, tongue, etc. (this came about as Andrea served Chiara her first chicken heart that was cooked all afternoon in the chicken soup).

What meats do you consider exotic? Do you or your family normally eat what others would consider "gross" such as organ meats, etc.? How do you introduce your children to these, such as explaining that the rabbit you are having for dinner is NOT that cute bunny they saw in the pet shop?

I'm looking forward to some interesting responses here. Oh, and by the way, my wife mentioned that she has only ever had chicken livers, not beef or pork livers, so liver and onions is on the menu horizon.

FDPiper
19-07-10, 07:36 AM
I have been blessed to have traveled a fair bit, and have lived in different parts of the USA. During my travels, I have tried to eat foods from the local region. For instance, in Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Dutch have great food, including scrapple (all the parts of the animal that cannot be used for anything else). Having grown up in a farming and hunting area, game of all sorts was served in our house, at friends' and at the legion. duck, pheasant, dove, pigeon, raccoon, woodchuck, bear, deer, elk, buffalo, snake, frogs, eel (a delicacy) o'possum, rabbit, squirrel, and other normal stuff.

We raise Black Angus beef, and try not to let anything go to waste. I love most of the organ meats (including rocky mountain oysters), and my Dad (RIP) always got the tongues. (hence I have a higher than desired cholesterol reading). My wife and her sister grew up in a family in which food came from factories - they have a hard time with some of the organs, and I am not allowed to bring certain parts home.

our farmers markets sells pints of chicken/turkey hearts, gizzards, and parts, and people buy them and walk around the market eating them with big toothpicks.

When in other parts of the country, or other countries, I enjoy trying different things. I love black pudding in Scotland (anyone have a good recipe?) People here think that is pretty gross.
I have had ant larvae on crackers, grasshoppers, crickets, roe.
I have had some sausage in France that tastes like they forgot to wash the casings. There's a name for it, but I forget.

I think it is all a matter of upbringing as to whether people are open to trying foods from other cultures.

reedmaster
19-07-10, 03:44 PM
How much more exotic can you get than "Haggis"? Love it!!!

kiltedsniper
19-07-10, 10:34 PM
O.k. I just put a recipe on the speak easy, didn't see this section.
I have been lucky enough to travel around the far east..Japan, Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong, Philippine Islands, South Viet Nam and I have tried every exoctic thing that they had to offer....from balut eggs in P.I. to cat and dog in Korea. In Okinawa Japan my favorite was monkey on a stick. It was kind of like a corn dog, but, it was monkey meat wrapped in intestine and deep fried. Gives a person bad heartburn, but good none the less. The wierdest stuff I ate, was when I was going through jungle enviornment survival training in Panama, I won't mention too much of it here, cause it would make most people sick. Let's just say anything that crawled, slithered, flew, or climed trees was fair game. And I do mean ANYTHING.

Scarlet O'Hair
19-07-10, 10:37 PM
LOL! I just moved it here...you are good to go! :bg:

kiltedsniper
19-07-10, 10:38 PM
Thanks Scarlet!!!!

ppyper1
19-07-10, 11:45 PM
So..............my dad loves to try new foods, therefore growing up we tried a lot of new foods. Antelope, rabbit, escargo, pickled quail eggs, frog legs, alligator, octopus, squid, rattlesnake, cow tongue, etc. I know it's not as exotic as stuff some of the others of you have posted, but I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things (although we all stopped at bug eating).

How do you get kids to try new foods? IMHO you don't tell them food is yucky, ever. I allow kids to not like things if they've tried it first. 99 times out of 100 they will like it once they eat it.

My kids LOVE vegetables. I can't buy broccoli and cauliflower fast enough. Oh sure, I have one child that doesn't like carrots, and one that doesn't like corn and another that doesn't care for tomatoes but for the most part they are very unpicky eaters.

My dad would come home from the store and say with genuine enthusiam. "Look what I found at the store today! Let's try it."

I grew up learning to try new things and to this day I love to go to a new restaurant, the more off the beaten path the better. Because of this I now need to move to Florida *LOL* Found the B.E.S.T. Cuban restaurant near my house, fell in love with it, then it closed and moved to Miami. :puppydogeyes:

On the flip side, I have a friend who thinks everything is gross. She was telling me of a dinner she and her husband were invited to where they were served authentic Greek food. It sounded delicious to me, but she ended her narration with "It was so gross". A few weeks later she was down in bed after a major surgery. A bunch of us (her neighbors) decided to take dinner to her family for a week because her husband was out of town a lot for work and she has 8 children. I was last on the list to take dinner over. The day before it was my turn I was over talking to her and she told me how nice it was that people were bringing her dinner but how it was all so gross and her kids wouldn't touch it. 1. I know some of the cooks were excellent and 2. I was scared to death to take anything over.

I believe a lot of introducing foods to kids is simply attitude.

jessierose
19-07-10, 11:52 PM
I agree, DeAnn! Also, letting a kid grow vegetables makes them totally excited to eat their own "crops".
My godmother has always used EVERY part of the animals they have slaughtered so we had some interesting foods. I loved hog's head stew until the day I opened the fridge and there was Percy the Pig looking out at me with his tongue lolling out.
I pretty much only draw the line at bloods. Not my cuppa tea.

ppyper1
19-07-10, 11:59 PM
FOr the most part I will tell you that the only thing I won't eat is fish (except fish and chips, so Daz, you can not clutch your chest in mock heart attack), cantaloupe, and avacado. I wanted to try blood pudding once in England, but just couldn't bring myself to it. (Ok............now the mock heart attack is ok.) LOL

Daz Gregory
20-07-10, 12:03 AM
I've eaten a few beauts in my time too.

Possibly the oddest though was eating a hastily made Gurkha Bhat (Curry) on the side of a mountain in Bosnia during the war there....The Freshly dispatched chicken was de-feathered, hacked up and bunged in the pot......everything.

When we came to eat it I got about 3/4s of the head complete with the rubber glove on it's heed....now that's a prime piece of Rooster to the Gurkhas so in me gob it went....crunch,crunch and a lot of chewing later it went down!

I gotta say I do love Hearts, Kidneys and Liver....all good stuff and very tasty when cooked right. Liver and Onions, Devilled Kidneys mmmmmm :drool:

S. Lloyd
20-07-10, 06:22 AM
Here's another vote for Liver and Onions! mashed spuds, salt & pepper.. MMM!
Beef & kidney stew, I like also...

Not really exotic, but hunters in these parts really love to cook fresh [I mean really fresh] Elk or Deer tenderloin...

ppyper1
20-07-10, 11:25 AM
My hat goes off to you soldiers. Thanks!

Heed
20-07-10, 12:57 PM
We ate snake once, were shown how to do it by an old shepherd. Looked easy, and tasted like chicken, as just about evrything thats horrible is alledged to.

So.. thought "we can do that", and one of the guys came back with a suitable looking black rat snake. Did the business, and 3 of us were laid off with the shits for 2 days. Tasted rotten too.

On investigation, we found that our trusty hunter had got the snake "over there" "over there" turned out to be the back of the long drop cludgy, where the rats came out.

So, the snake we had eaten had been eating the rats, which had been eating our sewage... YUMMM!

All down to the pasture I suppose

dharron
20-07-10, 07:50 PM
Thanks a bunch, Heed, I really needed to read that as I eat my lunch!!!:vomit:

In looking through the list, I can include duck, pheasant, buffalo, escargot, quail eggs (boiled or fried), frog legs, octopus and squid to my list, although the last two are regular diet items so I don't consider them exotic. Of the internal organs, I've had tripe (disgusting), heart, liver, kidney and sweetbreads, just to name the ones I can recall.

DeAnn, I eat fish of many types but do agree with you on cantaloupes and avocados, which are both very popular with the rest of my family. Avocado is everywhere in this country and it's often hard to find a sandwich that doesn't have it.

Attitude really is the most important thing in getting anyone, not just kids, to try new foods. We've always had a problem with my younger stepson who wouldn't even try foods before "not liking" them. Now he trusts me enough that he will try a lot of new things and decide for himself if they are ok.

With younger kids you can often get them to eat things by giving them funny names or making them in interesting shapes. Many restaurants here offer a children's plate with "pulpo", which means octopus, but is in reality a weiner cut in half crossways and then the cut end split lenghtwise into several legs. When it's boiled they curl and separate and look a lot like small octopi.

When my daughter was younger she was quite picky and often wouldn't agree to eating any food suggested to her. Since she is a great bunny fanatic, I once suggested at the end of a long list of foods, "bunny bum". She had no idea what it was, but thought it sounded sufficiently interesting for her to find out so that's what she wanted. I tried to backpeddle but she was now insistent that she was starving and just had to eat bunny bum. She mistakenly thought that the result that showed up in her hands was plain old chocolate flan, but I assured her it was "bunny bum" and it has been so ever since.

We also dubbed "an egg fried in a hole in a slice of bread", aka toad in a hole, as "bunny in a hole" and it's become a family comfort food, especially with visiting kids.

I often wish that I had been better acquainted with vegetables in my younger years and maybe I'd like them more.

Fred Fomm
20-07-10, 08:04 PM
How do you introduce your children to these, such as explaining that the rabbit you are having for dinner is NOT that cute bunny they saw in the pet shop?

Beats me. I'm 34 and still can't tell the bloody difference...

Two weeks ago the missus and I went to the City Zoo and as we strolled around cages and cages of wild animals I kept wondering things like 'how would this lovely meerkat's thigh taste like?'

I tried almost everything that comes from the bovine universe - tongue, brains, stomach [don't like it], liver [hate it], intestines [love it], tail, kidney, teat, thymus, pancreas and virtually ALL cuts of meat from ALL butchery schools - my all-time favourite being the thick and rare porterhouse. The ONE remaining titbit from the moo-moos I haven't tasted is the cojón, and I did so out of sheer masculine sympathy.

The same would apply to them piggies. I am particularly fond of boars; they make me feel like I'm Astérix. With so many German butchers around here, Eisbein [pig's knee] became a regular dish for me - Jewish wife already used to it. All sorts of minced and/or grinded swine derivatives encased in skins [Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Knackwurst, Blutwurst] are equally welcome.

Now if you wanna feast in our local colours, I'd say go for some capivara stew. The capy is a hog-like huge rodent [the largest rodent on Earth, length around three feet] that tastes simply excellent. Poor taste buds will eagerly compare it to pork, however its flavour is [to me] unique. Served often in clay dishes with brown rice, mild spices and lush, colourful plantains, they will make you re-consider having Mickey and Minnie for dinner...

Fredgie

S. Lloyd
21-07-10, 01:38 AM
The well-known Canadian author, Farley Mowat has a recipe for cooking mice in his book, "never cry wolf' -

Fred Fomm
22-07-10, 04:43 AM
Just had this thing called quiabada-

http://www.moon.com/files/blog-entry-images/quiabada.jpg

Recipe here (http://www.therecipes.net/quiabada-beef-okra-bahian-style). It'll take me two months to digest the whole thing.

:were:

S. Lloyd
23-07-10, 05:38 AM
When I first glanced at the pic. of the pot, for some reason the image of the album cover of the Rolling Stones "goats head soup" came to mind... don"t know why!
On closer inspection, yours looks WAY better!
We don't see okra in the store here very often, but I like it !
What is shell steak? beef sausage?