PDA

View Full Version : Practice Chanter Reeds

Engine15C
05-08-10, 12:52 AM
What do you use and why?

My practice reeds are shot, The initial reeds were gibson and worked well and the other I think was true tone.

I am looking for a quiet reed that still has good tone and stability, any suggestions before I waste any money?

FFMc
05-08-10, 05:10 AM
I have heard good things about the Walsh reeds. I have one coming to try in my Gibson PC.

Heed
05-08-10, 10:20 AM
I don't think you'll have too much trouble, PC reeds are pretty much good to go in most cases (I think)

Are you in a position to try them in the shop? Honestly, I think mines been in the chanter for about 3 years, couldnt tell you what make it is. They retail between 1.50 and 3.00 here.

Small rubber band is really all the maintenance that should be involved, although I was shown at the weekend by Alan at STIRLING BAGPIPES (plug!)
him sanding a plastic reed. I'd never found the need to do this, but then again, I can pick one to suit me from a batch. I suppose mail order is more of a lottery.

Best of luck

Paul Ouellette
05-08-10, 12:42 PM
I have Walsh P/C reeds in both my Dunbar P/C's (and in all my student's P/C's as well..) & a Gibson P/C reed in my Gibson P/C.

P.

P/S...FFMc...you'll be soon to find that the best reed to go with a Gibson P/C is a Gibson P/C reed...because the Gibson P/C is in fact a smallpipe chanter, which has a true scale unlike most other P/C's.

reedmaster
05-08-10, 01:47 PM
I just make my own. That way I get the strength and quality I'm looking for. I had an old one sitting around for a long time that I Bought. I does't work! I think if I replace the staple I can get it going. It would be easier to just make a whole new one and I will. I'll do just that right after I fix this one! The staple is open along it's seam.

FFMc
05-08-10, 05:23 PM
P/S...FFMc...you'll be soon to find that the best reed to go with a Gibson P/C is a Gibson P/C reed...because the Gibson P/C is in fact a smallpipe chanter, which has a true scale unlike most other P/C's.

Right you are!!
I think I finally have a Gibson reed working in my Gibson PC. It took a bit of very light sanding, but it seems to have done the trick!!

John Bolt
06-08-10, 03:56 PM
Walsh are a pretty good reed they come already sounded and a much better reed than comes with a chanter. Having said that next time I blow a reed I'll just make one using the original staple, shrink tube and a plastic cup.

reedmaster
06-08-10, 04:36 PM
I replaced the staple with one that I had made earlier, only took a couple of minutes. It works great now. I just used some black waxed hemp to tie it on. It's really simple to do. Since my staple doesn't have seems I didn't want to use up my heat shrink tubes. It's the second one with an open seam on the staple that I've had to replace.

CELTWORKS
06-08-10, 09:09 PM
Hi All; I sell the Walsh and the Hagen reeds as I have found them to be the best. They do need some manipulation though to make them sweet. They seem to last the longest, and I test them before I send them out to make sure they are decent..
Cheers
David

hughzone
10-08-10, 02:06 AM
I'm using Walsh in my long Dunbar. I like the strength and the tone they have. I have 2 and swap them out as I need to. One thing I've noticed, and of course it may be just these 2 particular reeds, but a lot of the time right after I put in one of them it will sound rough for the first couple of minutes or so and then it settles down. Another thing I've noticed is that they have gotten a bit flatter over time.

Speaking of finding good PC reeds... I have this dream every so often where I have a big tub of reeds in front of me. And I have all the time in the world to test all of them in my chanter until I find 100 perfect reeds and they're all free for the taking. And then I wake up happy.

bonnieprinceandy
26-08-10, 03:47 PM
I've tried the Walsh reeds in my ABW Dunbar and didn't like them. It sounded like my PC had been huffing helium. I use the Pipers Choice reeds made by Scots Highland Services in London Ontario. My last reed lasted me a couple of years.