PDA

View Full Version : Different Tunes

Scottish piper
14-08-10, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

This year I've been playing some tunes which aren't often heard in competition, the most popular being "PM Roderick MacLeod" by Chris Armstrong.

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you guys know of any M's, S's or R's that are rarely (if ever) heard in competition, yet which would still be recieved well by judges?

S. Lloyd
14-08-10, 09:32 PM
I like "P.M. Sandy Spence" for a march.

ppyper1
14-08-10, 10:04 PM
I don't run with the big boys as do some of the others in here, but here is my two cents on "well received".

I always try to pick music that hasn't been played to death or pick oldies, but goodies. (We open our Medley with Cock o' the North and folks are always telling me how like like to hear the old standards coming out every once in awhile).

We had Bob Worrall come out and do a workshop. At the time, our qmm consisted of 4 tunes, two of which were Cullen Bay and JK Cairns. In the workshop we got to talking about tune selection. He named off his top 5 hated tunes. #1 was Cullen Bay and #3 was JK Cairns. My pipe sgt and I met eyes across the room and cringed! *LOL*

He stated they were good tunes, just over played.

So........to answer your question.

1. I think any tune will be well received if it is played well (don't play anything too hard or flashy. Don't try to play cool stuff that you heard ANY grade 1 band play on the World's CD unless you are grade one or a very promising grade 2 band/soloist).

2. No massed band tunes for solo or band comp, and a long the same lines, nothing that's been played to death.

3. Nothing from another genre of music.......Hey Jude, We will Rock you, Saftey Dance, etc. *LOL*

A few of my favs that people are always asking "What is that??" are Major Conger Ross' farewell to something or other 6/8 m and Mount Stewart House 2/4 m I also like Mouse in a bag of Potatoes......I think it's a reel or hornpipe. Quite hot here in the 80's but I haven't heard it in a long, long time.

S. Lloyd
14-08-10, 10:27 PM
"Major Conger Ross", and "Mount Stewart house" are ones I've never heard of..
Where abouts might I find them?
"P.M. Roderick MacLeod" is also unkownst to ma little self, is in Chris Armstrongs' second book? [the one I don't have]
...............Double post automerged..............
I've always thought that "the Blackberry Bush" was a cool reel...

Scottish piper
15-08-10, 11:07 AM
Thanks, ppyper, I too cringe at "Titanic", "Sailing", "We Will Rock You"! Eugh...

And yeah Lloyd, I'm afraid it is in Book 2.:bag:

AndyD
15-08-10, 12:11 PM
Thanks, ppyper, I too cringe at "Titanic", "Sailing", "We Will Rock You"! Eugh...

And yeah Lloyd, I'm afraid it is in Book 2.:bag:
Hi Scottish piper
how would you feel about Wooden Heart and the leaving of Liverpool, both tunes we play when marching and in concerts.
I suppose these less pipe, more popular music tunes come from the guy who teaches our band, he plays the irish Brian Boru chanter and pipes (looks like a Clarinet stuck on pipes). The good point is we have some very creative and different drum setting to suit, which makes it interesting for the drummers.
Kind Regards AndyD

Scottish piper
15-08-10, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys for your help, I'll be having a wee talk with the PM now.:drum1:

Any solo suggestions?

ppyper1
15-08-10, 05:38 PM
Can't remember where I got those tunes. Ill look it up and let u know.

S. Lloyd
15-08-10, 05:51 PM
When I was in the band, we played "Wooden Heart" with "We're no Awa Tae Bide Awa"

ppyper1
16-08-10, 02:01 AM
I've played wooden heart two bands ago. I wasn't pm but I did write a harmony. Lol

S. Lloyd
16-08-10, 03:24 AM
Any solo suggestions?

The "Royal Scots Polka" ... maybe?

piper01888
16-08-10, 05:49 PM
Milbank Cottage is a nice entry level 2/4

AndyD
17-08-10, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

This year I've been playing some tunes which aren't often heard in competition, the most popular being "PM Roderick MacLeod" by Chris Armstrong.

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you guys know of any M's, S's or R's that are rarely (if ever) heard in competition, yet which would still be recieved well by judges?
Hello Scottish piper,
me again. What about the 1976 Police Tattoo, nice tune to drum to, haven't heard it lately in competitions. I have drummed to a 4/4 in the past called Mcarthey Street, nice tune, unusual setting, might not be what your after but one of my favourites.

Kind Regards Andy D

Scottish piper
18-08-10, 01:59 PM
Thanks again guys, I'll be looking through my books now - some of the names do ring bells!

Cheers for the bit about drumming AndyD, we haven't any drummers yet, but we'll hopefully have a couple really soon, and we're hoping to start competing as a proper band soon, so thanks for that!

Daz Gregory
18-08-10, 03:27 PM
March
78ths farewell to Edinburgh
Parkers Farewell to Perthsire
Abercairney Highlanders
Bonnie Ann
The Ross-Shire Volunteers

Strath
Monymusk
Bob of Fettercairn
The Top Of Craigvanow
John Roy Stewart

Reel
Sound of Sleat
Broadford Bay
The Grey Bob
Call The Ewes

Just a few cool ones that I like.

S. Lloyd
20-08-10, 03:27 AM
Hi all,

Along that line...
I"m wondering.... Is the march, "Lochaber Gathering" played very much in solos?
Is it very well known today?
Was it popular in the past?
Would it be a good choice for a march these days?
Thanks,
Shannon

Daz Gregory
20-08-10, 04:04 PM
Shannon

Just play what you feel comfortable with and that's it's within your capabilites - solo pipers sometimes seem to try and overstretch themselves and then the wheels fall off.

The tune should be technically relevant to the grade you are playing in and if this is the case then go with it....Judges do like to hear something different from time to time too!

Regards

Daz