PDA

View Full Version : Attn: READERS...

jessierose
24-08-10, 02:33 AM
It's been awhile since we talked books around here. It's non-piping related but I need help!
I have finally finished reading what was a seemingly unending queue of books on my bedside table. Between being laid up with an injury and travelling, I have had time to devour book after book after book.
I need a new one in a big way and I need to be wowed.
Non-fiction or fiction, old or modern...I don't care. Someone just tell me what I "must read" next!

KatieMc
24-08-10, 04:20 AM
I've just had all of Karin Slaughter's books recommended to me. But they are crime thrillers, so I'm not sure I'm up for it. I like sleeping at night.

Heed
24-08-10, 10:01 AM
Still Nigel Tranter! Best ones, The Bruce, All the Stewart dynasties. Rob Roy stuff is good too. Not sure if I should be telling you this, I'm giving my sources away!

Daz Gregory
24-08-10, 10:19 AM
Douglas Adams......you will laugh out loud!

Heed
24-08-10, 10:31 AM
Douglas Adams......you will laugh out loud!

I loved his books. As usual, the TV never did it justice.

ppyper1
24-08-10, 10:42 AM
The black rose. By Thomas B. Costain Hard to find.......I had to finally buy it on eBay or half.com. definatly wow.

I also read and re read Anne mcaffery's Crystal Singer series.

jessierose
24-08-10, 01:04 PM
Still Nigel Tranter! Best ones, The Bruce, All the Stewart dynasties. Rob Roy stuff is good too. Not sure if I should be telling you this, I'm giving my sources away!

I have my used bookstore hunting for his books. I called them the day after I got back like a good student! :wink:

And Daz, I have read everything Douglas Adams wrote! So has River. And we both laugh out loud at him constantly!

EarlyE
24-08-10, 03:35 PM
It all depends on what your into but here's a few that I would recommend

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). NB if you've ever seen the film the Golden Compass which is based on the first book don't be put off it REALLY doesnt do the book any justice.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Kind of Terry Pratchett meets The Godfather. Sounds odd I know but brilliant read.

Anything by Charlie Brooker will make you wet yourself laughing

The Talbot Odyssey by Nelson Demille for a bit of post cold war spy action

Can't think of any more right now but I'm sue I will

UpstatePiper
24-08-10, 04:28 PM
I like anything by William Gibson.

piper01888
24-08-10, 05:10 PM
Diana Gabaldon's time travelling series is a good way to get lost for a long time.

Vikki
24-08-10, 05:25 PM
recently read The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen, a friend recommended it and lent me the book. enjoyed it

The Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx's autobiography. Love it!!!!

Anything by Niamh Greene

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (True Blood is based on the series)

P C Cast - Divine By Mistake (there are other books in series - Divine by Choice is the 2nd)

KiltedPiper
24-08-10, 09:45 PM
ppyper1 mentions Thomas B. Costain's black rose. He also wrote a 4 volume series on the Norman Plantagenet family from 1135 to 1485. I know it sounds like boring history but a smashing read written almost in the style of a novel. Anything by John la Carré does it for me but I especially like Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and The Honourable Schoolboy.

rpeitzsch
25-08-10, 12:01 AM
I especially like Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and The Honourable Schoolboy.

I think those are by far his best books. Currently, I'm working on the latest in the Dune series: additional books have been co-written by Frank Herbert's son Brian and Kevin J. Anderson.

KatieMc
25-08-10, 12:01 AM
Wow... I'm glad Jess started this thread... I'm making a list!

Hmm... maybe we need a book review thread so we can find out what some of these books are about....

jessierose
25-08-10, 12:03 AM
Sounds about right! Maybe a "Review Your Fave Books" thread?
I went to the used bookstore today and went CRAZY! The book queue is refilled!

KatieMc
25-08-10, 12:37 AM
Tell us what you got!

ppyper1
25-08-10, 01:56 AM
My next one will be out relatively soon. :bg:

KatieMc
25-08-10, 02:32 AM
waiting..... :bg:

jessierose
25-08-10, 02:54 AM
I got a pile of books! And only spent $20!
Let's see...I got:
-How the Scots Invented the Modern World (very interesting so far!)
-The Book Thief
-Boy's Life
-3 books by Nigel Tranter (which Heed recommended)
-Math Does Not Suck (to help me in teaching River high school maths this year. ugh.)
-The Picture of Dorian Gray (haven't read it since high school and thought I would like to read it again)
-The Devil in the White City (my friend Dave swears I will love it.)
-and, an impulse purchase (because the cover is pretty) Horrific Sufferings of the Mind Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred. (Yes, that is all the title of one book!)

And I added about 20 books to my wishlist and the bookstore will try to find them in their network of used bookstores.

FDPiper
25-08-10, 04:46 AM
In the last 2-3 months, I read:
Children of War by Susan Goodman
All Hands Down by Kenneth Sewell & Jerome Preisler
Danger's Hour by Maxwell Kennedy
A Dawn Like Thunder by Robert J. Mrazek
Hitler's Holy Relics by Sidney kirkpatrick

My wife told me I need to get off WWII and get a life, so I did:
Quantrill's War: The Life and Times of William Clarke Quantrill, 1837-1865
&
The Great Influenza by John Barry

Then she said get off history and read a novel. I asked her if Grisham was okay? he was fine, so I got Innocent Man, the bio of Ron Williamson. He spent 11 years on death row for a murder he didn't commit.

My wife then said that didn't count. So, then I read Dracula by Bram Stoker.
All great reads.

Vikki
25-08-10, 03:20 PM
The Innocent Man is in my "to read" pile
I'm currently reading Theodore Boone (also Grisham) at the moment and really enjoying it.

jennykate
23-01-11, 09:25 PM
This was a good thread...resurrecting!

For the fantasy folks...I like these 2 series a lot.

Katherine Kerr's Deverry series - its got clans, magic and elves
SM Stirlings Change series - set in 'todays' world where electronics suddenly don't work. Also appeals to me as the majority of the series is centered here in Oregon. Has pipes mentioned a few times! :)

Vikki
24-01-11, 11:01 PM
well at the moment i'm reading Grisham's "The Confession"

and the 2nd book in the Morganville Vampire series (The Dead Girls Dance) and enjoying both of them.

Around Xmas I read one called "The Twelve Days of Christmas" which was a nice read for the festive season

piper01888
24-01-11, 11:14 PM
I am presently reading book four
of Bernard Cornwell's Starbuck Chronicles which
is a historical fiction account of the U.S. Civil War.
As this fellow is the author of The Sharpe series as well
as several others I don't know where he finds the time!

pipesofwar
25-01-11, 05:28 PM
Well here's my two cents....

One of the best book I've ever read and the one I will always recommend first is, The Historian - by Ellizabeth Kastova.

If you want something with a Scottish flavor.. being a pipe band forum and all, try any of the Inspector Rebus books by Ian Rainkin. They are primarily set in the street of Edinburgh. For those who have had a chance to visit that great city, these pages will bring sites back to your memory and give you an eerie sense of place. Its fun to read these books having been on the streets where the crime and mystery takes place... makes you feel that much more a part of it.

"Ian Rankin is the UK's number 1 bestselling crime author. Famous for the acclaimed Inspector Rebus series which has topped the Sunday Times bestseller lists and has recently been adapted into a major TV series (for the UK)."

jessierose
25-01-11, 07:12 PM
I am reading A Mighty Fortress by one of the B-17 pilots of the 8th Air Force. It's not super well written but it's full of great stuff.

Piccadilly Piper
27-01-11, 02:07 PM
Lots of books listed. I will refer to this thread next time I am needing ideas.

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series was mentioned earlier in the thread. My wife reads them and can not put the book down once she starts it. While I have not read the books yet, my wife does give me an overview and they seem to be a good read.

I am enjoying Clive Cussler right now, fun adventure books. I find the main plots predictable, it is all the things that happen while getting there that entertain me. Clive Cussler has several different series out. Adventures of Dirk Pitt, Numa Files, Oregon Files and a couple more I think. The movie Sahara was based on a Dirk Pitt book.

Aron Ralston's 'Between a Rock and a Hard Place' is a facinating true story about when he was trapped in a slot canyon in southern Utah, and had to amputate his own arm after several days to get out. The movie 127 Hours is based off the book. I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

I recently read a book that was given to me as a gift. It is called Hero Pants. It is written by Jim Haden. It is a funny book mostly about Jim's 21 years as a paramedic in Sioux City, Iowa. If you want a fun read this one will crack you up and teach you a little about what we EMT's and Paramedics see on the streets. You can get the book at his website, jimhaden.com.

I hope that is not overload, I just enjoy my books. :bg: