PDA

View Full Version : bag size

hylobius
29-11-10, 05:57 AM
Before shelling out more $$ for another bag (assuming the one you have is too big), try using a sleeve made out of an old pair of jeans to make the bag circumference smaller.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o221/bbudesa/100_3823.jpg

If it still seems too big, sew another dart down the length of the sleeve, and try it again.

Once you have the right fit, you can take few measurements and buy the right size. Or, you can keep using the sleeve like I have (for years).

reedmaster
29-11-10, 08:42 PM
Perfect timing!!! I just tied on a new bag and need a bag cover. I was looking for something other than tartan and inexpensive. I've got old jeans. I even made a paper tracing of my bag before I cut out the holes for the stocks. Thanks!!!

phyx
29-11-10, 10:51 PM
Before shelling out more $$ for another bag (assuming the one you have is too big), try using a sleeve made out of an old pair of jeans to make the bag circumference smaller.

If it still seems too big, sew another dart down the length of the sleeve, and try it again.

Once you have the right fit, you can take few measurements and buy the right size. Or, you can keep using the sleeve like I have (for years).

I tried this years ago...and it worked...kind of. It made the volume of the bag less, and it was harder to keep air in it for some reason. However, the feel under the arm was better, I just couldn't keep the pipes going as easily with less volume.

I played an L&M regular hide bag. I went with the L&M small Scotian. Narrower bag, but much longer, giving the same air volume. Only problem now is moisture. I'm working on that though...might have to break down and buy some kind of MCS soon.

hylobius
29-11-10, 11:48 PM
Reedmaster - I'm sure you realize that the denim sleeve was meant to be hidden by the bag cover, right? I don't suppose, if one were playing by ones self and for ones self, that you couldn't make a cover out of denim, but I doubt an entire band would want to do so. Bag covers aren't that expensive, nor would they be that difficult to make from raw yardage.

Phyx - I think the reason smaller diameter bags are a bit harder to play is because you're squeezing with your upper arm CLOSER to your body, not starting out further out as you would with a larger bag, and as such, I think you're recruiting fewer muscles (certainly less bicep). I've found the same difficulty, but with time, it all worked out.

Hold your arm in the same position you would with a larger bag, then move it towards your torso. See what happens to your forearm, as well as the angle of the upper arm. I think it's easier to move 3-4 inches starting further out, than it is to move 3-4 inches starting closer in.

I think it's just a matter of time on a smaller bag - it'll all work out.

In regards to moisture, I installed some flex tubing one can find at a medical supply house. It's the same hose that's used for ventilators. It was the perfect size to slide inside my blowpipe stock. I plugged the distal end that curled up at the end of the bag, cut a few holes on the upper side near the end, and voila! Works like a champ - for pennies (literally). In fact, since I only asked for about 2 feet, they GAVE it to me. "Go on kid, get outta here"!

reedmaster
30-11-10, 02:28 AM
Hylobius- I just wanted a temporary bag until I can get a more permanent one made. Having just tied a new hide bag on, I don't want to ruin it with sweat. It's hot here! Also want to check my hole patern. I laid this out myself so there's no shelf model that will fit. I'm a lone piper with no band to match. Took about five minutes to make. Works great! Thanks again.

phyx
30-11-10, 10:40 PM
Phyx - I think the reason smaller diameter bags are a bit harder to play is because you're squeezing with your upper arm CLOSER to your body, not starting out further out as you would with a larger bag, and as such, I think you're recruiting fewer muscles (certainly less bicep). I've found the same difficulty, but with time, it all worked out.

Hold your arm in the same position you would with a larger bag, then move it towards your torso. See what happens to your forearm, as well as the angle of the upper arm. I think it's easier to move 3-4 inches starting further out, than it is to move 3-4 inches starting closer in.

I think it's just a matter of time on a smaller bag - it'll all work out.

In regards to moisture, I installed some flex tubing one can find at a medical supply house. It's the same hose that's used for ventilators. It was the perfect size to slide inside my blowpipe stock. I plugged the distal end that curled up at the end of the bag, cut a few holes on the upper side near the end, and voila! Works like a champ - for pennies (literally). In fact, since I only asked for about 2 feet, they GAVE it to me. "Go on kid, get outta here"!
Thanks. The problem wasn't that it was hard to play, it was that it wouldn't stay full enough to take a breath and blow back up.

L&M regular hide bag dimensions: 10.25 inches by 28 inches
L&M Scotian small bag dimensions: 9.5 inches by 29 inches

The volume of air is almost the same or even a bit more, but not as big around in the arm.

The L&M 9 inch regular bag dimensions: 9 inches by 28 inches

That's a good reduction in volume. I tried to put a sleeve on my L&M regular bag, and it must have reduced the girth too much because it was as difficult to play as the L&M 9 inch.

As for the moisture control, I've tried the tube trap thing and it isn't enough for the Scotian. When I was using the hide bag with airtight seasoning...no moisture on the reeds. My reeds with the Scotian, even with the tube trap, are totally soaked in 30 minutes and unplayable until wiped off and blown out.

If the sleeve thing works for others...I'd definitely encourage them to do it. It just didn't work for me. :(

Scarlet O'Hair
01-12-10, 12:02 AM
I think I did the sleeve thing with those kitchen pipes Phyx.

ppyper1
01-12-10, 07:33 AM
Did this today for an 8 yr old student while he waits for his small bag to arrive. Worked lie a charm......wait.....10 yr old student.