PDA

View Full Version : Drum Pad Review: The Perfect Practice Pad by Richard Baughman

Robbie.Crow
02-12-10, 06:51 PM
So, I managed to get my hand on the new Perfect Practice Pad (click here for a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOYyVIhhet0)) from Richard Baughman (click here to go to Richard's site (http://www.richardbaughman.com/)) at the World Solos, as we were sharing tuning rooms, and I've been using it ever since. So, I thought I'd give it a little review, here goes...

Main Advantages

Can be mounted on a harness
Harness mount is adjustable
Numerous Playing Surfaces

Harness Adaptable
So, the first thing to notice is that this pad can go on a harness. That's good - for numerous reasons! First of all, if you're a lead drummer, it can be good to use when the rest of the core are on drums - it would allow you to still play the lead parts quietly, but it would mean you could hear the chips more clearly. Also, if you have a new member - giving them this would allow them to take their place in the circle and play the material, even if they're not totally up to par yet, as they won't be as loud as the other drummers! Also, it could be good for practising in the house and as a whole drumcore without drums. The harness adapter is totally flexible, so you can have it at any angle you want, and i mean ANY angle!

The harness adapter can be taken off however, and it can be used as a normal pad! Great stuff! It has a nice funky feel to it and it looks totally different from any other pad out there!

Numerous Playing surfaces
The pad itself comes with three different surfaces to play on, i'm going to name them ProPad, Orange and Black!

ProPad
The ProPad surface insert is most like the Remo ProPad that JKP is selling on his site. It's reboundable and it's laminated. It gives a good projection of sound, but is a bit bouncy. It's good for a core of drummers I would think. (Also, the pad itself has stand adapters *wink*wink*)

Orange
This surface is most like the TG Regular surface. It's good for sitting round a table with or practising on your own. Little mistakes can be hidden, but a good sound is given from it - also a good bounce!

Black
This is like the TG Crisp Tone surface pad. I'd say it was best for a LD as it means he can be heard above all the drummers. It's a VERY loud surface with very little rebound - good workout pad!

Overall View
I'd say this was one of the best pads out there at the minute, not only because it's harness mountable - but also because I think the three surfaces are good for different times! Also, it looks cool :wink:

Bad Points
Harness Adapter - It can be tricky to get the harness adapter on and off, it's not ease of access! And, sadly, the adapter must be taken off for it to sit on the table. However, after the first few times - i've found quick ways of doing it.

==========

That's it - good review, I hope...

janelleTG
03-12-10, 12:00 AM
A drum pad that goes on a harness isn't new, but I do like that it's adjustable. (I personally haven't seen one like that) and that it comes with different pads.

KAILY
03-12-10, 09:13 AM
The perfect playing surface for a drum corps to practice on is a plain old fashioned wooden table, there is no room for error on this surface, every tap is clean and clear so any loose playing by the drum corps is easily detected.
The only drawback is, if you tend to be a heavy handed player then this surface will knock hell out of your modern lightweight sticks.

Hickory sticks would stand up to this surface well but Hickory is too dense and heavy a wood for todays style of playing.
Kaily

janelleTG
04-12-10, 02:16 PM
Funny Kaily, we (our drum corps) were only talking about that today. They were comparing different drum pads and the more seasoned drummers all agreed that you had to get off the pad and on to the table to really hear what everyone is playing and to get a good feel for it.

flamtap
04-12-10, 06:37 PM
You can't beat a table :)

As for pads I still think the Invader V3 is the best on the market, it's just not like any other pad.

aliashrm
14-12-10, 10:57 PM
he's a fantastic player...is he still with LA Scots?

(He also has some excellent videos of him teaching young drummers from Pasadena (?) pipe band-they are great players also)

Daz Gregory
15-12-10, 06:56 PM
he's a fantastic player...is he still with LA Scots?

(He also has some excellent videos of him teaching young drummers from Pasadena (?) pipe band-they are great players also)

He's the lead tip of Pasadena Scots now. He left LA Scots earlier in the year.

http://www.pipesdrums.com/ViewObject.aspx?sys-Portal=57&sys-Class=Article&sys-ID=18145

Regards

Daz

PCPB10
03-02-11, 01:38 AM
The Perfect Practice Pad has been the best pad I've ever used. The newest edition is the best one he has produced. The original was great, but it didn't have the 'ProPad'. I'm proud to say I received his first production model with the 'ProPad' back in May and I have loved it. The 'ProPad' creates the most realistic feel offered by a drum pad, and has the perfect mixture of bounce and snap. Also a plus is that is can be heard over a practice chanter. Personally I find the orange insert to be the best for daily practice, but for corps practice the 'ProPad' is the best. The harness attachment is awkward, but it works. I leave it off almost all the time, except when I warm up before a competition or we want to march at practice without making too much noise. Its simply the best drum pad I have ever used and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a better drum pad, or one at all.

FYI the pad shown in the video is the old style.

Robbie.Crow
03-02-11, 03:48 PM
Fully agree with you. I've been using it constantly, mostly with the orange pad. I've tried going back to other pads, but i keep coming back to the PPP!

07-04-11, 04:11 PM
I will be getting one of these pad's. I think its good to stand and play.

ErikAtTheW
14-08-11, 04:42 PM
Hello! I'm new here and new to drumming. I started taking lessons about 5 months ago and I'm now involved with a local Pipes and Drums band, playing snare.
I have a Remo tunable practice pad but recently was lent a Pro-Mark XPAD. I seem to play better on the XPAD. Not sure if I can just hear it better or what.

I'm looking for practice pad suggestions. I've seen the Perfect Practice Pad ad and videos and I have sent several emails to the guy, but he has not responded.
I also saw the Invader pad, but it seems a bit pricey.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Erik

Davy NZ
15-08-11, 07:44 AM
"Rad Pads" are a good product, mine has been glued to a piece of wood, as they come as just the rubber, and i really enjoy playing it. The Andante pad, and other TG pads are also good, and the TG ones provide you with a range of hardness to play with, the harder the rubber, the hared you have to work to make your sticks move therefore the better it is for your drumming.

DrummerBolley
15-08-11, 11:57 PM
Hello! I'm new here and new to drumming. I started taking lessons about 5 months ago and I'm now involved with a local Pipes and Drums band, playing snare.
I have a Remo tunable practice pad but recently was lent a Pro-Mark XPAD. I seem to play better on the XPAD. Not sure if I can just hear it better or what.

I'm looking for practice pad suggestions. I've seen the Perfect Practice Pad ad and videos and I have sent several emails to the guy, but he has not responded.
I also saw the Invader pad, but it seems a bit pricey.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Erik

It really is the best pad in the market its what my corps is using, he hasnt responded because he's been in scotland for the last 2 weeks for the worlds

flamtap
17-08-11, 11:20 PM
Invader V3 is also a good pad, very different to most pads on the market. Their new shuttle pad (smaller version of the v3) is also very good.