PDA

View Full Version : Dowco Triumph Street Pipe Band Stabila Medley

Alan
13-02-11, 08:49 PM
They posted their new medley on YouTube, their midsection has always had me really interested and I wonder where they get their flourishing/movement ideas from. However watching this, I couldn't help but think that their slow air is a bit weird for lack of a better word. (3:09-3:17 in the video). What are your opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZqGD7uWcI&feature=player_embedded

PCPB10
19-02-11, 09:17 AM
I agree their tenors are odd, but it works for the band. It first started when Annie Head left the band, and her style is the opposite of the one used currently by the band. So I'm guessing the tenors just wanted to say "Hey, we can do anything you said not to do and still win."

Alan
19-02-11, 12:50 PM
I agree their tenors are odd, but it works for the band. It first started when Annie Head left the band, and her style is the opposite of the one used currently by the band. So I'm guessing the tenors just wanted to say "Hey, we can do anything you said not to do and still win."

When did Annie leave the band? I've been looking for old videos of DTSPB but from what I've seen, a lot of them have come from Robert Malcolm Memorial. Thanks for the info by the way! :)

aliashrm
19-02-11, 04:32 PM
I can't watch it???

says that it's private??

:jeeze:

scottcurrieltd
19-02-11, 04:45 PM

I don't think that's at all fair to personalise this. It's unnecesary.

aliashrm
19-02-11, 05:24 PM
I don't think that's at all fair to personalise this. It's unnecesary.

freedom of speech mate, hehehe.

I have no idea of the politics behind this but surely everyone is entitled to their opinion.

scottcurrieltd
19-02-11, 10:45 PM
freedom of speech mate, hehehe.

I have no idea of the politics behind this but surely everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It comes across as an 'f*** you' to Annie Head, which as I said, is unnecessary. Respect for your peers goes a long way in this game.

Alan
20-02-11, 12:40 PM
I can't watch it???

says that it's private??

:jeeze:

Says that for me too, no idea why that's happened. :(

And to the others - I didn't mean to get into all these band politics and what not, I was just wondering if anyone knew a reason for their tenor drumming being so different to other bands, sorry! :(

Mike Cole
20-02-11, 11:10 PM
Styles in flourishing, as styles in composition, are what set bands apart and give them their own unique signature. That in itself, I suppose, is a reason. Triumph Street are not afraid to push the envelope and have the collective talent to make things happen. Good on them!

I agree with Scott, aliashrm. While everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion, I think PCPB10 crossed the line with "So I'm guessing the tenors just wanted to say "Hey, we can do anything you said not to do and still win."".
Gossip and conjecture...plenty of that on other forums. No need for it here.
Just my opinion.

Ken Sutherland
21-02-11, 06:13 PM
I'd like to reinforce what both Scott and Mike said, and add that the cavalier and uninformed comment by PCPB10 in no way represents our band and what it stands for. I have no idea who PCPB10 is or pretends to be or if they are even a member of our band. They clearly do not know Annie or the members of the DTSPB mid section. If they did they would not have posted such a ridiculous statement.

Ken Sutherland
Pipe Major
VP, Board of Directors
Prince Charles Pipe Band

scottcurrieltd
21-02-11, 06:52 PM
I'd like to reinforce what both Scott and Mike said, and add that the cavalier and uninformed comment by PCPB10 in no way represents our band and what it stands for. I have no idea who PCPB10 is or pretends to be or if they are even a member of our band. They clearly do not know Annie or the members of the DTSPB mid section. If they did they would not have posted such a ridiculous statement.

Hear, hear, Ken.

aliashrm
23-02-11, 12:32 AM
Can I start by saying lets forget the original (unpopular) post, but lets use this thread to carry on an (in my humble opinion) interesting subject......as stated previously-an unpopular/controversial statement was posted and was duly taken to task as some people felt it made things personal and was out of order....this may be true or not but my question is this....should we be afraid/reluctant to post our thoughts/feelings in case we offend others or should we be free to air our opinions regardless, as the option is always available for the other person/organisation to respond?

I can see it both ways and i'm only playing devils advocate here, but do we not do what we are arguing against in the first place by doing it right back?

PCPB10
28-02-11, 08:32 AM
I would like to apologize for what I said. I spoke without thought and without consideration for others. I meant no ill wishes to anyone, but I realize that I quite obviously have. And once again I apologize for the commotion that I have caused for the Prince Charles Organization and for Ms. Head. I would also like to note that I am not a member of the Prince Charles Organization or of any other band, so the comments I make do not reflect the opinions of any organization, they are my own and I will be more thoughtful of what I say from on. Once again I wish to apologize for what I have said.

Mike Cole
28-02-11, 06:48 PM
Can I start by saying lets forget the original (unpopular) post, but lets use this thread to carry on an (in my humble opinion) interesting subject......as stated previously-an unpopular/controversial statement was posted and was duly taken to task as some people felt it made things personal and was out of order....this may be true or not but my question is this....should we be afraid/reluctant to post our thoughts/feelings in case we offend others or should we be free to air our opinions regardless, as the option is always available for the other person/organisation to respond?

I can see it both ways and i'm only playing devils advocate here, but do we not do what we are arguing against in the first place by doing it right back?

It's within most people's capacity to be critical, and within everyones' to have an opinion. I think I can speak for the majority of people that I know here and say that it's always a good idea to think first, then post. That's not fear, it's common courtesy. To say you don't like a style, color, tune, flavor, etc...that's your opinion. How that personal point of view is expressed lies in an individual's capacity to communicate in a reasonably civilized manner.

The subject here, being the flourishing style of Triumph Street's midsection, is open for artistic interpretation. My first impression of the flourishing in their medley was that some of their moves were just a bit 'over the top' for my tastes. However, the more I watched, the better I appreciated what they are doing. It's unique. My opinions aside, if everyone took a cautious approach to art, there's no telling where we'd be. This is a band that I've followed since their win as RMM in grade 2. There is no shortage of talent, smarts, and dedication in Triumph Street. It's great to see a group with so much talent and verve for the idiom willing to push the envelope. I hope they continue to do so!

Cheers.