PDA

View Full Version : Lee & Sons reeds

S. Lloyd
15-02-11, 01:38 AM
I just ordered a couple to try, Has anybody else given them a go?

piper01888
15-02-11, 01:50 AM
Not yet, but keep us posted please.

S. Lloyd
16-02-11, 02:53 AM
They're here! Gave them a quick try in my chanter... a little bit stronger than
my idea of medium, but seem to be pretty good, I'll try one in my pipes tomorrow! A bit more of a ridge cut looking reed than I was expecting...

BarBarrick
16-02-11, 07:20 PM
hello, what kind of chanter will you be trying those in?

S. Lloyd
17-02-11, 03:24 AM
Played the new reed for an hour today....I didn't really want to take out the good reed that was already in my chanter, set nice... tape just right...
But I did, anyways!
After some warming up, a squeeze or two, a little hemp adjusting, with the old "up, down" to get chanter in balance,
It came in very well!
Once we got going, the strength was just about right! Not too strong, but by no means easy...
I'll break it in some more before I try a tuner, but to my ear, it didn't need tape anywhere! I usually have to tape Hg, and F.
So far, nice reed! Good time to be a piper....
Oh yea, 1990 Naill....
Plug and Play? - of course not...
Did it help me play like Jack Lee? -of course not!

piper01888
17-02-11, 04:51 AM
We just got some in this week. I haven't tried one yet. Like you, I am
a little reluctant to take out one that is working well now. The trick will
be to keep the rest of the crew from sanding them down to nothing.

S. Lloyd
17-02-11, 05:56 AM
Should be no sanding involved...SHOOT the first one you catch.

redneck
28-02-11, 03:52 PM
Rubber dental band if required, in saying that I have shaved, not sanded before.

The days of busting a butt are over.. lol, however I think you should blow a reed slightly harder than the norm, one which will require a dental band and stops your drones ( just ) then as it frees itself up, the band can be removed and no alterations have been made to the reed construction.