PDA

View Full Version : Help: Scrambled eggs

Nowan
16-09-06, 04:59 PM
I've recently started to do some cooking, as i think it's quite fun to do, and as i'm getting older and wanting to leave the house and move (about 484,41 miles north west) *grin*

I've made shortbread, a pasta dish and some other stuff already... but there's one thing which just won't work... indeed, scrambled eggs...

I suppose i'm doing it all wrong and don't clearly understand the recipe..

so if anyone could give a good recipe with clear instructions, i'd be very gratefull!

Cheers,

gertje

piper_dancer
16-09-06, 06:09 PM
well um I dunno if I can say this clearly but this is how I make them...

well um I crack some eggs into a big bowl...add a wee drop of milk, salt, and pepper, and mix er all around until its ...um...mixed? lol

then I pour it into a frying pan, and using a spatula, I sorta move it around, like push the liquid around continuously and eventually it solidifys. and voilà. haha. thats my attempt at explaining.

drumpretzel
17-09-06, 12:38 AM
Cuz,
YOU SHOULD WRITE A COOKBOOK!!
That's how I make them as well.
Just like an omlette, but instead of just letting the eggs cook there, you've gotta constantly scrape the cooked bits off of the pan. Stop cooking them when you get 'em the way you like 'em. (a bit runny and juicy...YUK!, or firm and fluffy)
ENJOY!

Dan.

>Haha...:kait: Kait's Cookbook...:scarl: <

Nowan
17-09-06, 01:20 AM
Thanks a lot :bg:

Oh and Kaitlin, just so you'd know...

... i would actually buy such a book :bg:

drumpretzel
17-09-06, 01:30 AM
Please let us know how they turn out!
(hint more milk = fluffier eggs!)

Dan.

Scarlet O'Hair
17-09-06, 06:43 AM
you need to add a drop or two of tobasco....

CelticCeith
17-09-06, 04:03 PM
you need to add a drop or two of tobasco....

.... and at least half a bottle of your favourite Whisky !!!!! :can:

Scarlet O'Hair
17-09-06, 07:05 PM
Well I thought THAT went without saying!

Nowan
18-09-06, 12:10 AM
.... and at least half a bottle of your favourite Whisky !!!!! :can:

Sorry i don't drink, nor eat anything containing alcohol...

Now the tabasco I CAN do... I sure love that stuff...

Form some reason i always need to take more drops than anyone else to taste it proporly... quite embarrasing when your all eating spaghetti and everyone is being carefull with the wee bottle while you're pooring it over as if it was the bolognaise sauce...

Anyway, i will let you know :)

@DP: did anyone mention... fluffy? :wah:

drumpretzel
18-09-06, 12:12 AM
.....uurrrrp!
..........ugh.......
.........tried the whisky idea.......uuurrrp!
drunk as shite, and I'll NEVER eat scrambled eggs again!.....
........uuurrrp!......
:vomit:

alasterdo
18-09-06, 12:42 AM
drunk as shite

lmao .... great saying!

piper_dancer
18-09-06, 03:54 AM
Sorry i don't drink, nor eat anything containing alcohol...

yes but when alcohol is cooked, it loses its alcoholic effects, like white wine chicken sauce, and Jack Daniel's wings at Kelseys. This should also prove my point that Dan was 100% faking his drunkness, as you can't get drunk off of cooked alcohol lmao. :bg::bg::bg:

@dan: How drunk *is* shite?? :wah:

rpeitzsch
18-09-06, 04:29 AM
Form some reason i always need to take more drops than anyone else to taste it proporly... quite embarrasing when your all eating spaghetti and everyone is being carefull with the wee bottle while you're pooring it over as if it was the bolognaise sauce...

Does the stuff coming out of your bottle taste kind of vinegary? If so, throw it out, its old. Good fresh tobasco doesn't need to be poured on like water. Liberally, yes, but you shouldn't need to douse the dish. I lived in New Orleans for 6 years and that's why I only buy the small bottles: you don't feel so bad when you throw it out after a couple of months to buy a new one.

rpeitzsch
18-09-06, 04:37 AM
yes but when alcohol is cooked, it loses its alcoholic effects,

Not entirely true, my dear. It depends on the type of alcohol, how long and hot it's being cooked, and what it's being cooked with since some foods suck in the spices (and alcohol) they're being cooked with (like potatoes) . Even wine in a spaghetti sauce simmered for a good while can still contain a small bit of alcohol. And any alcohol still in the food will have its usual alcoholic affects.

So, here's to cooking like Julia Child! :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: (I think I got enough wine bottles....)

And going back to the Tobasco and my time in New Orleans, we used to watch Justin Wilson, the Cajun Chef. He too would be quite snockered by the end of his show. LOL!!!

piper_dancer
18-09-06, 04:43 AM
what about saganaki (greek flaming cheese) when my Dedo (grandad) makes it? he looooadds it up with TONS of vodka, then sets it on fire, HUGE fire at that...just wondering if it lost its alcoholic effect, after all, its a crapload of 40% alcohol...

drumpretzel
18-09-06, 04:45 AM
yes but when alcohol is cooked, it loses its alcoholic effects, like white wine chicken sauce, and Jack Daniel's wings at Kelseys. This should also prove my point that Dan was 100% faking his drunkness, as you can't get drunk off of cooked alcohol lmao. :bg::bg::bg:

@dan: How drunk *is* shite?? :wah:
OHHH! I was supposed to COOK THE EGGS AND WHISKEY????
I just poured whiskey over the scrambled eggs!!!
That's why YOU should write the cookbook, Cuz!

DAN

Heilan Mary
18-09-06, 11:21 AM
Scrambled Eggs are also good if you add some grated cheese and bread before breaking the eggs into the bowl. My gran used to make it for us when we were young and it tasted superb.

redneck
18-09-06, 06:50 PM
Right Mary doll, ya can do the eggs next time yer at the Rednecks Motel......lol, nice idea.........Hmmmm, need da get ya oot yer bed first, that's the hardest part.:scarl: :scarl: :bolt:

Heilan Mary
19-09-06, 11:06 AM
LOL!!!! I like ma bed. You'd rather sit and :thirsty:

sass jane
19-09-06, 12:53 PM
You'd rather sit and :thirsty:

That way he doesn't fall doon!....:bolt:
:bg:

redneck
19-09-06, 07:20 PM
Hey...........I can sit 'n :thirsty: while ya make the eggs though. :fired:

Look fer a job as a :bed: tester fer slumberland, y'ill be chief executive in no time.....lmao

redneck
19-09-06, 07:25 PM
That way he doesn't fall doon!....:bolt:
:bg:

Well now...............the amature Guinness drinker has spoken. Ya ever see me fall??????????? I doubt it. This looks familiar though :thirsty: :thirsty: :faint:

Hmmm, wonder who this could have been? LMAO (Canadian girls drinking team indeed)

Pete Walen
19-09-06, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, wonder who this could have been? LMAO (Canadian girls drinking team indeed)

Like any team, they just need proper coaching. :thirsty:

Pete Walen
19-09-06, 08:09 PM
well um I crack some eggs into a big bowl...add a wee drop of milk, salt, and pepper, and mix er all around until its ...um...mixed? lol

Couple a things - with any eggs, scrambled, basted, poached, over-anyway (easy, medium, hard), or the ubiquitous "sunny side up" salt the eggs *after* they come off the heat. Also, depending on the coating for the cooking surface (melted butter, bacon or ham grease or any number of alternatives) a medium heat works pretty well - unless you're fairly experienced, cracking two eggs into a pan (or onto a grill/griddle) is a challenge. If its too hot, the first egg will be half-cooked by the time the second lands next to it.

I prefer butter myself over margerine - of course if I'm cooking up a major feed the bacon goes in one large skillet, when its done, split the grease into a couple of other frying pans, leaving some in the largest. Sliced, pre-cooked potatoes (from the microwave is easy and quick, canned potatoes works in a pinch) goes in the largest skillet with a little chopped onion. Sausage goes in another skillet (depending on the type this may be with bacon grease or beer) - start the toast at that point (of course, depending on how many people and the speed of the toaster this may need to start sooner - the oven on "low" will keep toast warm while the rest is being made. Turn the potatoes occasionally to give them uniform color (or colour) and crispness. When the sausage is one nearly done, heat the pan you're cooking the eggs in, coat evenly with oil/grease/butter. Start them as desired. Have the cottage cheese and sliced fruit ready - When the eggs go in, then prepare the cottage cheese - a decent dolop on each place with sliced fruit over - not a huge amount, just a reasonable spoonful.

hmmm.... must be hungry...

piper_dancer
19-09-06, 09:47 PM
i salt my eggs before I cook them and they still are good!

sass jane
19-09-06, 10:54 PM
Well now...............the armature Guinness drinker has spoken. Ya ever see me fall??????????? I doubt it. This looks familiar though :thirsty: :thirsty: :faint:

Nice try my friend....I won't FALL for that bait... :battingeyes:...

redneck
19-09-06, 10:59 PM
Jeeze Pete, ya got a spare chair at yer table?..............ma belly is rumblin'. Sounds like good Redneck grub da me......of course washed doon wi a few :thirsty: :thirsty: :thirsty: , just da stay ahead of the so called drinking team...Ooooops:bolt: Hehehe

Pete Walen
19-09-06, 11:13 PM
any time redneck - if its breakfast, start out with a tea or coffee or both. If its supper :thirsty:

sass jane
19-09-06, 11:28 PM
Jeeze Pete, ya got a spare chair at yer table?..............ma belly is rumblin'. Sounds like good Redneck grub da me......of course washed doon wi a few :thirsty: :thirsty: :thirsty: , just da stay ahead of the so called drinking team...Ooooops:bolt: Hehehe

:battingeyes:...stay ahead hunh...*smiles sweetly*...lmao...

redneck
19-09-06, 11:32 PM
Ach com' on woman..................yer too quiet fer yer own good.

Afraid ya let the side doon??????? ready fer round two?..........Mourne Mist fer mouthwash fry up 'n a gid session doon the Islay xoxoxo:thirsty: :thirsty: :thirsty:

redneck
19-09-06, 11:34 PM
any time redneck - if its breakfast, start out with a tea or coffee or both. If its supper :thirsty:

One thing about me mate.....no hard da please.......I go wi the flow ( of the Guinness lol:thirsty: ) ask Sass.

sass jane
19-09-06, 11:39 PM
oh aye...that's me alright...quiet as they come....:bolt:

Send me the plane ticket and i'll meet ye at the Islay...*ding* Round 2 coming up....

Mourne mist as mouthwash??? Wasn't it breakfast, toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash that one morning....!!

DM Bill
19-01-07, 03:45 PM
Another tip for fluffy eggs is to let them come up to room temp before you use them. If you know you are having strangled eggs (as I call them...) take the eggs out the night before. This helps break down the protein strands in the eggs. For omelettes, use a pinch of baking soda for each egg, and they get nice and fluffy.
If you are using grated cheese in your strangled eggs, don't use TOO much, or your eggs with get watery.

UpstatePiper
05-02-07, 05:21 AM
Hard to believe that with a whole forum full of people no one knows how to cook eggs :gah: :Ceith:

Scrambled eggs: beat the eggs gently in a bowl. Melt butter in a pan on medium low heat. Pour eggs into butter. Stir continuously with spatula until set. Maybe 7 minutes, maybe more. Julia Childs suggests pouring a wee bit of raw egg into the set eggs just before serving.

Omelet: beat the eggs gently in a bowl. Melt butter in a seasoned pan on high heat. Pour eggs into pan. Shake pan vigorously while stirring eggs continuously with a fork until almost set. Shake eggs into corner of pan and roll out. Maybe 3 minutes, maybe less. Top as desired.

:notlistening:

Bob
-- gotta love those animations!
-- no milk in scrambled eggs or omelets! Bakings soda -- ick! Eggs and butter is all you need!
:notlistening:

Tommy
05-02-07, 05:57 PM
Couple tips;

eggs, touch of milk or cream, fresh cracked black pepper. Whisk vigorously till there's no seperation of white and yellow.

If you're using a cast iron skillet, get it hot enough to almost bring a mixture of olive oil & butter to the smoke.
Have spatula in hand before you dump the eggs in the skillet, you're gonna have to work fast as a serving of 2-4 cooks in about 20 seconds....the result is fluffy eggs, no stick, no scorch.
(Scorched eggs are nasty.)

Salt and fold in a little bacon or sausage grease to keep them from becoming one large lump of eggs after they set in the serving bowl for a while.

(I've been scrambling three-dozen eggs almost every morning at the fire station for about 20 years.):whistle:

Colonel644
11-02-07, 01:02 PM
I think that to make the BEST scrambled eggs begins way before you even crack an egg in the bowl. First make sure your hens get plenty of water, sunlight, grit, oyster shell, layer pellets and corn. and add a little extra corn to their diet if you want nice dark orange yolks.
The compound that colors (and flavors an egg to some degree) the egg's yolk is Xanthophyll which come from green plants and corn and also what gives certain breeds of chickens their yellow skin.

Now that you've taken care of that, then you can crack one and make scrambled eggs. And when you take this route, all you really need is a dash of salt and a pat of butter.

Let the hens add the flavor!!!