PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for 7-year-old?

BillW
04-04-11, 03:25 PM
My 7-year-old daughter is taking drumming lessons and doing quite well.
She's too small to carry a full size pipe band snare, so I have her using a concert snare drum, which works well playing along with one or two pipes.

I'd like to find a carrier that would be manageable for her.

I came across this and thought I found the solution:
http://www.drumbuddy.net/

...but when I inquired directly I found it would not work for someone as small as a 7-year-old. I was told it was geared more towards middle school aged kids.

Currently, if I take her out to play with me, I put her snare on a stand. I'm beginning to wonder if this is my only option for the time being.

Any thoughts?

bigboibruce
04-04-11, 03:32 PM
Hi Bill,

From personal experience I have noticed that most harnesses/carriers are suited for the over 12 age range (or something along those lines) most are based on adults also. The best bet might be just to keep her using the stand, however restricts the marching abilities not that you want her marching with a drum at the age of 7 years old.

You will get some help from the PBF Drumming Advisors but hope what I have said was of some help.

Thanks,

Bruce :D:collie::collie:

piper_dancer
04-04-11, 06:52 PM
Hey Bill,

I know another 7 year old(ish) drummer, and he got his carrier from AT Percussion (from Niagara Falls, ON). It's custom-made to fit him.

You can contact him from his website: www.adamtardifpercussion.com ...and I think he's actually a member here on the PBF.

Hope this helps,
Kate

05-04-11, 03:18 AM
There is a guy in Australia that is converting (making) drums just for this sort of thing, kids people with bad backs ect.
I'll get the details for you.

KAILY
05-04-11, 07:29 PM
The Y Type tenor drum harness is suitable for young snare drummers who are playing light weight snare drums, the snare drum must have a carrier hook attached.They are no use for carrying the standard heavier HTS snare drums.
The harness is also lighter and can easily be adjusted to fit smaller kids.

My young learner drummers also use the T type carrier, I take the top suspension rings off the shell of the HTS drum, the rings have the internal top snare attached.

To be able to carry the suspension rings "drum" properly without it folding downwards the carrying cylinder rod must be taken off and the flat surface of the carrier fitment fitted into the harness carrier fitment.
This way the "drum" can be carried securely and easily by young drummers
Kaily