PDA

View Full Version : Ceviche with Coconut Milk

Andrew M. Stewart
01-06-11, 01:13 PM
Ceviche with Coconut Milk

Serves 8

1 1/2 pounds red snapper, fillets (You can substitute any kind of flaky white fish as well as scallops, shrimp, lobster, clams, mussels, or oysters. See Chef's note below.)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons Scotch Bonnet pepper, minced ** (You may substitute any kind of hot pepper such as habaneros or jalapeños.)
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper as needed
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 cups coconut milk*
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced, rinsed in hot water for 5 minutes
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup coconut flakes or fresh shaved coconut, lightly toasted
Cilantro leaves as needed for garnish
Cut the snapper with the grain of the fish. Place the fish in a glass or stainless steel bowl large enough to hold the entire recipe and place it over a larger bowl filled with ice; set aside.
Place garlic and peppers on a cutting board and add 2 teaspoons sea salt. Using the flat surface of a chef's knife mash it together until it becomes a paste.
Add the garlic-pepper mash to the fish and stir it until it is evenly distributed. Add 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and salt to taste. Add lime juice and coconut milk, and stir. Drain the red onion slices, add to mixture, and stir. Add finely chopped cilantro and stir. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
To serve, place ceviche in glass or stainless steel bowls that are resting in larger bowls, shallow dishes, or a large tray of ice. Top with shaved coconut and cilantro.
* You may use fresh coconut milk if desired. Break the coconut open, drain and reserve the juice, and remove the pulp. Cut the fresh coconut pulp into pieces. Shave enough of the pulp to toast and use as topping. Place the remaining coconut in a blender along with the coconut juice, cover with hot water, and purée until smooth. Strain the milk through a fine-mesh strainer. Squeeze the coconut to remove as much liquid as possible.

** Caution when handling hot peppers: Wear gloves and immediately wash your hands after removing the gloves or handling the peppers. Do not let the juice from the peppers come in contact with your eyes or skin.

Chef's note: It is important to make sure you use the freshest fish possible and you keep it cold. When removed from refrigeration, place fish in a container on top of crushed ice covered with plastic wrap or in a bowl placed in a larger bowl filled with ice.

rpeitzsch
01-06-11, 01:57 PM
I learned all about the dangers of jalapeno juice exposure from working as a cook in a mexican restaurant one summer where I was up to my elbows (not quite literally) in jalapeno juice day after day. I got overly sensitized and can still break out in hives if I eat or touch one whereas before I used to be about to eat them with no problems.

AlistairFyfe
01-06-11, 02:56 PM
And don't forget if you are working with hot peppers always wash your hands BEFORE visiting the bathroom as well as afterwards!

:devil::devil::devil:

Andrew M. Stewart
07-06-11, 01:56 PM
And don't forget if you are working with hot peppers always wash your hands BEFORE visiting the bathroom as well as afterwards!

:devil::devil::devil:

I used to work with this wee Asian dragon lady (she was very a very powerful individual in the local china town community due to her being able to get people jobs and sales contracts in the local hotels) every time I chopped hot peppers of any kind she would say to me " Lo Phan! (white kid) may sure you wash hand before go bathroom! It burn, it burn! I danced for long tiiiime!"