PDA

View Full Version : Play off for worlds final

redneck
06-03-06, 10:18 PM
This early morning play off has caused many an argument over past years regarding bands who should have gone through 'n didn't and visa versa, last year was a perfect example of this.

what if, as it is the world championships, only the top bands from each region/country can compete.

Let's look at this in depth, (may not be as daft as it seems:puppydogeyes: )

One way would be to give a points system for each competion, majors a higher score point. The thing here is all majors would need to be completed prior to the world championships(for obvious reasons.) This would have to be run in tandem with the various piping boards around the world.

Therefore at the end of the day there would be only the top bands from around the world competing.

There are a lot of if's 'n but's here I know that, but it is as the title says "World Championship" in my opinion the qualification should have been done prior to the big day and not on the same day.
This puts added pressure on the bands who need to do this and depending on the draw gives little time to readjust/fine tune for the big one.

Just a wee thought, any comments?

CelticCeith
06-03-06, 10:26 PM
Just a wee thought, any comments?

Almost makes too much sense. It would certainly cut down on the amount of band in attendance and would limit the contest to legitimate contenders as opposed to those you are going merely for the "experience".

My question would be, do you limit this to just the Grade 1 bands or would the same requirements be for all grade levels???

phyx
06-03-06, 10:36 PM
I agree 100%--and think it should be for all grace levels. How can you call yourselves the "World Champs" if you didn't beat the rest of the best in the "world"? Otherwise, you're the champions of a contest called the Worlds...just my 2 cents.

It would be kind of like a piping olympics--best from each nation get to compete, and end up at the world competition level--sweet idea.

Dai Robb
06-03-06, 10:59 PM
I agree "with reservations" the concept basically is ideal, as you and the others say, how can you call yourself World Champions, when you dont play the world sort of thing, and as you so rightly pointed out, it would do away with the lottery of the early morning play off system. I think the idea of points for taking part in Competitions etc, is a good one. BUT it would need to be worked out so that EVERY band had the equal number of Competitions to enter.
And why restrict it to just the Grade One, why not all Grades? Okay as long as were it to be decided to go for it a steering committee be set up and the aim say to start it in, what? 2010 say?, enough time for everything to be worked out, and as Redneck mentioned it here first I propose we nominate him to lead the group??

:goodidea: :goodidea:

Dai Robb
06-03-06, 11:02 PM
Oh By the Way Redneck,, "yer no as daft as yer Cabbage lookin"

redneck
07-03-06, 12:22 AM
Almost makes too much sense. It would certainly cut down on the amount of band in attendance and would limit the contest to legitimate contenders as opposed to those you are going merely for the "experience".

My question would be, do you limit this to just the Grade 1 bands or would the same requirements be for all grade levels???

By no means just Grade1, all grades to come under the same guidelines.

@ CelticCeith, very good point. It costs a lot of money to travel to this contest,so if the band doesn't have the required points there is no point in wasting money traveling to compete. This way the band/bands will know via the point/leauge system if they stand a chance or not, so they can then make the decision weither to travel or not. The points would also help you see how far adrift of the rest of the other bands your own band are. Which inturn could also determine your decision to play or not.(or just go to the beertent wi me 'n Dai)

@ Dai,:red: :red: :bg: Ya after something? LOL. BTW, the operation was 100% he's doin' fine. Talk to you later.

Bobby
07-03-06, 12:55 AM
ummmm...so....Iain.....do you volunteer to be the one to tell all the other bands in the UK,Ireland,North America,Australia, NewZealand, and Europe that they can't go because they are not the national champion? :bg: :devil:

I propose a 2 day event. The qualifier, at which all bands must compete, being held the saturday and only the top 12 in each grade get into the final for Sunday. Judging panel chosen at random from a list of judges compiled from all of the various pipe band associations around the world. drop the high and low scores for each band and see how it all sorts out.:pint: :devil:

what say ye?

true_blue_piper
07-03-06, 02:17 AM
....then you have to factor in that even some of the "lower" 1st grade bands in Scotland / N Ireland / Canada may be better than some of the 1st grade bands in other countries.

Likewise for the other grades.

If we're just talking 1st grade, perhaps it wouldn't be so difficult, but if you're talking other grades, who is to decide which bands would compete in which country's competitions ? Remember that there are bands in countries which do not have a big piping scene.

Just my tuppence. Good to see that someone is at least thinking about it though.....which is probably a damn sight more than the RSPBA !

redneck
07-03-06, 11:14 PM
@Bobby, good point, but noone will have to tell them. They'll know themselves having not gained enough points prior to the world championship. The door isn't open to just the champions of each branch/country, like I said use something along the lines of a leauge table 'n the top 4 say (or more depending on how many are needed fer each grade) from each country go straight through. Basicly it will be the most steady performers from each grade over the season will progress.

Like I said this will never happen it's a wee thought I had as to how the worlds could me marketed 'n produce a higher profile ie:- the World Cup (football/soccer) only the best from each country plays in this tournament.

@ TBP, good points also m8, yet again I'll go back to what I've said regarding the points system.:red:

There are some grey areas granted, it's only an idea. There are however I feel some good points.

Dai Robb
07-03-06, 11:36 PM
Reading the various commnets on here from people who I admire and rate highly due to their experience, It makes me wonder ?, it is a pity that some of the so called "Experts" who decide who does what when and how, in the piping World (RSPBA) etc, Cannot listen to those at grass roots level, Okay as Iain says the possibility of what he suggests actually happening is probably pie in the Sky. But surely if the people actually taking part in the Competitions, can think of ideas such as this, (which I still feel is basically a good idea) Then those who make the decisions should be talking to them and asking what they feel is needed to improve the whole set up.

true_blue_piper
08-03-06, 07:21 AM
There are some grey areas granted, it's only an idea. There are however I feel some good points.[/QUOTE]

Pity the "hi heid yins" at the RSPBA aren't listening in.....it is a good idea.

Perhaps it's also time that the Worlds was held in Scotland / N Ireland on alternate years and once every three years or four years in Canada / USA.

Australasia could also be factored in say once per decade. It would help split the costs on a much more equitable basis and give the bands some time to save up for it.

Or is that just plain daft ? Any thoughts ?

phyx
08-03-06, 02:47 PM
The main problem with Redneck's idea is the money involved. What if one of the best bands from one country simply cannot afford to go to the Worlds, yet would give everyone else in the grade a run for their money?

It seems that today, those bands with the money, go to the Worlds. Those that don't, stay home--no matter how good they are. This isn't to mention all the sponsors of the event too--the event is all about the money.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what it seems like. If Redneck's idea were to be implemented, how would the money involved be affected?

redneck
08-03-06, 08:24 PM
Phyx good point m8, however the next inline would then qualify. There is a lot of money involved in all aspect of piping, however if the case arose were as you stated the winners could not afford to go surely they wouldn't have went if the won or not.

Just a wee point here on the final places for this theory........it's not only the winners/band with the most points, there would be say 3>4 bands from each section ie:- Canadian grades 1>4 ( just an example) they could if enough points were gained be able to compete, but as you quite rightly stated money is a factor.

Weither they compete or not through lack of funds is the bands choice. Fundraising & sponsorship ( local government,commercial) could be an outlet.

Like I said before it's only a thought, having said that it has threw up some good points from various people who have posted.:red:

true_blue_piper
09-03-06, 03:03 AM
Like I said before it's only a thought, having said that it has threw up some good points from various people who have posted.:red:[/QUOTE]

Quite right mate. Even if these ideas never come to fruition, they're certainly worth discussing. You never know when someone will come up with an idea that's sensible and could be put into practice. With far more bands nowadays able to travel, maybe it is high time that the Glasgow monopoly was broken ?

redneck
09-03-06, 08:02 AM
There was also another point of view I tend to agree with also, that was the point raised about alternating the venue of the Championships.

When I was competing at the height of my pipeband years we traveled to Toronto 3 or so years in a row for the CNN/CNE Tower(can't remember the exact name.) there was a competion held along with various other engaments, the people in question put on an excellent contest of the highest organisational standards. Great tunning areas 'n plenty a beertents :woohoo: , weather ofcourse also was great.

Therefore there is no reason Canada or anyother country couldn't host the championships, other than the almighty, we are the Olympians of piping the RSPBA's own greed 'n need to be seen as the one 'n only.

BTW, of all the trips I've had around the world the Canadian trips will always be high in my memories for more than just piping reasons. Except fer Guelph givin' my room mate 'n me a rude awakin' at 8:30 in the morning, considering we just got in around 7 ish. (that's another story lol) John you can recall that one.

Bobby
09-03-06, 08:38 PM
I think it was called the "Intercontinental Championship" or something like that. Held at the CNE grounds ( Canadian National Exhibition).

I doubt John can remember very much from that time period. :bg: :surrender: LOL

redneck
09-03-06, 09:42 PM
I think it was called the "Intercontinental Championship" or something like that. Held at the CNE grounds ( Canadian National Exhibition).

I doubt John can remember very much from that time period. :bg: :surrender: LOL

Bobby spot on mate, that's it. Hey, funny enough John did recall. He did remember us sittin' wi a carry out listening to Guelph. They struck up outside our room:jeeze: lol. They were a great playin' band back then. Six jigs in a row without a break. Same as us wi the carry out.:red:

true_blue_piper
10-03-06, 05:39 AM
@Redneck / Bobby.....is that what the 4/4 "Intercontinental Gathering" was named after ?

Bobby
10-03-06, 02:31 PM
I believe it was.:pint:

redneck
10-03-06, 05:35 PM
I believe it was.:pint:

I believe it was too :wink: :red: lol.

Craig m
08-04-06, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a good idea Iain mate

craig m

redneck
09-04-06, 12:02 PM
Sounds like a good idea Iain mate

craig m

Thanks Craig, can't see it ever comin' into practice though, I have been known to be serious sometimes. LOL.

Dai Robb
09-04-06, 12:45 PM
Thanks Craig, can't see it ever comin' into practice though, I have been known to be serious sometimes. LOL.

If he ever says, "I am serious" run for cover??

redneck
10-04-06, 08:39 PM
I am serious................IT'S YOUR ROUND.:wink: :woohoo: :woohoo: :red:

Dai Robb
11-04-06, 12:22 PM
Thats it I am off???How much pocket money should margaret give me for the Worlds Iain,? She says would a fiver be overdoing it??

Mom2Grace
11-04-06, 02:32 PM
I think it would be a good idea to change the venue around every year/every few years. On the money side, would be more beneficial for international companies, possibly getting more sponsorships for those bands who can't afford to travel? That make sense?
Would love the Championships to be here in Canada... :)

Dai Robb
11-04-06, 04:37 PM
I am sure a good number of bands would love it too Carla, at least you would have a better chance of decent weather. Nothing to beat standing out there with the rain trickling down your neck, Freezing, miserable, far from home, Ah the sheer joy of Competitions

Nowan
11-04-06, 07:03 PM
Did I notice a wee bit of... sarcasm there, Dai? :D