PDA

View Full Version : Reed rant

John Bolt
14-10-11, 04:36 PM
I have been using Warnoch reeds and I guess I have gone through probably 12
in 12 months, some easy and some medium. I learned early on how to scrape
them to make them easy and the first reeds didn't last. A couple of the last ones
were medium and I was able to make them work without a problem.

I never played as a goose until lately I have and found out the low G honk was a weak reed
problem and not my fingering which I thought it was and if the reed isn't too easy
not a problem. I like an easy reed and a normal day of practice is a couple of hours
on the chanter and at least my whole book of over 35 tunes on the pipes and I'm pretty
happy with how things are going.

Recently I got some new reeds that have 4 strengths but a differant make thinking that the
easy would be easier than what I had been using and hopefully playable without scraping.
Anyway the reeds arrived I got out an easy and it was brutally hard to blow until I had really
soaked it, pinched it and some really minor scraping. Anyway what I ended up with is a
reed that's a lot harder to to blow than I like and has the dreaded honk but if I back off with the
blowing it cuts out so usless to me. Is there a fix for that cuz I have 2 more.

The reeds I have been using have been good and I wish I hadn't tried to reinvent the
wheel or had called up Jack Lee told him where I'm at and got reeds that I didn't have to fiddle with.

So here is my question would you go back to the Warnoch, Call Jack up or find someone who sells
a senior reeds or go to synthetic.

ppyper1
14-10-11, 04:39 PM
Don't go synthetic!! They sound like crap!

I have never ever, in 27 years, had a reed that didn't need to be fiddled with. It comes with the territory. Try a few different brands, maybe yoiu can find one that is to your liking. Recently, I tried MG's, they had fewer "fiddling" moments.

Scottish piper
14-10-11, 05:22 PM
If you are uncomfortable with going for a harder reed, stick to an easy one, but don't blow quite so hard.

Remember it's not about blowing as hard as you can. Just keep an even pressure.

If the problem persists, then move up to a medium reed. If this is too big a leap, consider buying a custom reed. Reeds can be made to flow a scientific scale, not just someone's opinion of whether they are hard or medium or easy.

phyx
14-10-11, 09:36 PM
Have you tried Steve's reeds? He can make them really easy and still retain the sound quality.

Piccadilly Piper
14-10-11, 09:46 PM
When I played easy reeds I would blow them out quickly. They would only last maybe a month or two. I found that if I took a reed that was a little more difficult for me to blow and spent some time playing it and maybe only pinching it here an there it would get easier after a while and last me a lot longer. I just barely changed reeds after almost a year, but only because I somehow took a very tiny bit of the corner off one blade. It still sounded good so I will keep it as an emergency backup. I feel a good reed takes some patience to blow in.

DeAnn I still have an MG in my McCallum chanter that I am not sure I like. The high A does not want to settle down for me. Any tips on helping that with the MG reed?

Mark J.
15-10-11, 03:03 AM
Phone a reed supplier, whoever you go to, and tell them that you need however many reeds, and tell him they are for your 14 year old nephew/son/whoever who is just learning - that should see you getting a really easy reed.

PiperSteve84
15-10-11, 09:06 AM
We use G1 reeds in our band, and I have one in my solo chanter too. We never have to touch them much, maybe a wee bit of scrapping. My personal opinion is to never wet or pinch a reed! Once you've found a reed that you like and is comfortable (or even requires a slight bit of extra effort) to blow then you're on to a winner. Just play it, and when scrapping it make sure it's even on both sides and that it's to the body of the reed and not towards the edge of the blades.

The G1's I believe are made by a guy who used to work for shepherds. Hope this helps! :0)

ppyper1
15-10-11, 11:10 AM
When I played easy reeds I would blow them out quickly. They would only last maybe a month or two. I found that if I took a reed that was a little more difficult for me to blow and spent some time playing it and maybe only pinching it here an there it would get easier after a while and last me a lot longer. I just barely changed reeds after almost a year, but only because I somehow took a very tiny bit of the corner off one blade. It still sounded good so I will keep it as an emergency backup. I feel a good reed takes some patience to blow in.

DeAnn I still have an MG in my McCallum chanter that I am not sure I like. The high A does not want to settle down for me. Any tips on helping that with the MG reed?

What do you mean by....."does not want to settle down"?

longrifle
15-10-11, 06:12 PM

I think it doesn;t want to get married or have any kids yet.

Piccadilly Piper
15-10-11, 06:24 PM

I think it doesn;t want to get married or have any kids yet.

Now that is funny.

DeAnn,
I am not sure how to describe it. I will play it again and think about it.

ppyper1
15-10-11, 09:24 PM
LOL........I think most bagpipe reed issues could be described exactly that some way. :rotf:

John Bolt
16-10-11, 05:09 PM
I
happy with how things are going.

Recently I got some new reeds that have 4 strengths but a differant make thinking that the
easy would be easier than what I had been using and hopefully playable without scraping.
Anyway the reeds arrived I got out an easy and it was brutally hard to blow until I had really
soaked it, pinched it and some really minor scraping. Anyway what I ended up with is a
reed that's a lot harder to to blow than I like and has the dreaded honk but if I back off with the
blowing it cuts out so usless to me. Is there a fix for that cuz I have 2 more.

So after 2 days of rest that new reed that was was fine without doing anything. Which explains why I hear laughing coming from my reed box.

Husk Reeds
05-12-11, 01:18 PM
The G1's I believe are made by a guy who used to work for shepherds. Hope this helps! :0)

John Elliott is the reedmaker of G1 reeds and he did indeed work at Shepherd's making reeds for about 15 years before going out on his own recently. Great reeds!

Shawn

Scottish piper
05-12-11, 03:42 PM
Agreed, I think G1 reeds are some of the best out there at the moment.

My band has just switched to them, and they are so easy to reed and play. So easy in fact, we have replaced them on engagements and they just 'click' into place.

JHaslip
18-06-12, 07:41 PM
ok ok ok, i could write a bloddy manual on this if I had to, but ill try to keep this managable.

Breaking in a NEW Reed!

Play the scale (Mouth Blown) once or twice, tweak as needed for desired sound. This may or may not include you licking the reed, personally i do sometimes (most times) although they say its bad for them... meh...

PLAY your pipes anywhere from 5-15/20 minutes SEVERAL times a day, every day (missing A day isnt the end of the workld, but try not to) until the reed starts to "soften" up for you...

Keeping the reed is simple- moisture control systems work well if your in a humid wenviroment, but not as good if you live in a dry area... moisture is good for reeds, in moderation... its like Fatty foods, in moderation its good, but all the time not so much, and no fat is bad too... got it? find the balance, "Zen" your reeds...

Reed selection:

I play a Ross, Band makes me, PM choice, i kinda like em, plenty of fiddlin room for scraping... try "shoulder cut" reeds if you like to "fine tune" reeds... Warnoch/cks are "molded" reeds less play rooms, less rigidity etc etc etc... stay AWAY from synthetic unless like me you need a back up "safety" reed for minus F'kn stoopid degrees below zero (C not F) funerals/parades... and even then im almost ready to toss it out...

reed caps can work well, i leave it in my pipes, but pull my chanter out for a few to check the humidity/moisture level of the reed, letting it air out a bit when needed... but i live in a dry climate and use a bannatyne (synthetic but "breathable") bag and this seems to work for now...

repeat this for any and all reeds you want to keep ready, alternate as needed fo rlongevity...

questions? you can always PM me or ask me to expand...

Scottish piper
18-06-12, 08:00 PM
Let the thread die...

Raymac
06-08-12, 03:51 AM
Not sure why you want the thread to die.

Anyway, a couple of things, licking a reed is not recommended, enzymes in saliva can cause the the reed to deteriorate. Not sure if I have read the 1st post correctly, but, if you have medium reed and it gives up the ghost in a short period, don't scrape it in the first place?

raymac

sass jane
06-08-12, 03:02 PM
Agreed, I think G1 reeds are some of the best out there at the moment.

I heard this this past weekend as well.......and I can definitely vouch that they are much steadier in a VARIETY of environmental conditions than some other reeds....