PDA

View Full Version : The selling of a David Naill set

Silent Piper
18-01-12, 08:22 AM
Hello folks!

I bought a set of David Naill pipes through Murray Henderson in 1995 as he was an agent for these pipes before he started making hos own brand.
Now I want to sell them. Unfortunately, this is also when I start learning things. A friend of mine has told me that Naill used wood that was of poorer quality in the beginning of the 1990s, thus causing cracks in the wood. My friend repaired one of the cracks in my pipes. Also, the blackwood chanter has a bend so that it is a bit curved against my body when holding the chanter in play-position. The set of pipes is a DN2 but did not have any polypenco chanter at the time when the set was made in 1994. The sole of the chanter does also have a small crack in the plastic. The question is therefore: what is the set worth today? As I have the set out for sale, you can view the item here: http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=32681992

Zipperhead
18-01-12, 01:30 PM
I bought my first set of Naills in 94. DN2s as well. I fixed so many cracks over the years that I have little of the original wood left. In the end I bought a new set (the sound's still amazing, had to keep with what I know) and kept the old set as a spare set for rainy days. I had so many problems over 16 years it didn't seem right to pass them on. How much are they worth? Well a new set is still about the same cost as I paid back in 94, so I really would think anything over $1000. would be ripping people off. Better to lend them out to beginners and swollow the loss.