PDA

View Full Version : Cork

scaryguy
12-04-12, 09:48 AM
Has anyone seen, or use cork used on tuning slides?
It was apparently fairly common years ago.
Does it work?
Good or bad idea?

AlistairFyfe
12-04-12, 12:49 PM
Scary,

I can remember a few people (circa 3 -4) in our band used cork and grease on their drones, it seemed to work ok for them although I never tried it. It must have been about 15 years ago! I have moved away from the area and the band has since folded so I don't know if they continued with this technique.

Our base drummer ran an 'old fashioned' music shop and was very experienced in the 'repair' of all types of musical instruments, and it was him who carried out the application of the cork to the drones.

Alistair

sass jane
12-04-12, 03:46 PM
LOL! I had to laugh when I saw this. Corking tuning slides was indeed in vogue about 20 years ago. I came across a kit to do that in a box of old piping supplies a wee bit ago.

Despite the amount of people who I heard had done that to their pipes, I don't know anyone now who plays pipes with corked tuning slides. I also remember being glad that I not gotten around to doing that with my pipes....but I don't specifically remember a bad example of it. It seems to me though that once done, it would require restoration work to un-do it.....and seeing that hemping tuning slides works just fine, why bother?

There is also the very real fact that depending on where in the world I am playing, and what pitch of reed; I do sometime put more or less hemp on my tuning slides to compensate. This of course would not be possible if they were corked....and I'd end up putting hemp on top of cork or trying to shave cork off the tuning slide in order to adjust them. Not something I want to do....

ppyper1
12-04-12, 04:38 PM
I play clarinet as well. It's corked and a pain in the patoot! You have to grease it, when it goes bad you have to take it in for repair and you're out the part for a week.

Like Jessie said.....depending on the climate, you may need more or less "stuff" to keep your slides in one spot. I prefer hemp. Easy off....easy on .....no grease. Wah-la!

celticpiping
12-04-12, 04:48 PM
I play clarinet as well. It's corked and a pain in the patoot!

1. patoot. Term of endearment. Equivalent to patootie. Shane is Alisa's patoots :) ...
2. patoot. Watered-down word for butt. He shoved money up the birds patoot.

awesome..

scaryguy
12-04-12, 05:25 PM
I have never seen it and never even heard of it until i saw retailer selling corking kits a few days ago. I was not planning on doing it to my pipes.....just was curious as i'd never seen/heard of it before.

ppyper1
12-04-12, 05:58 PM
1. patoot. Term of endearment. Equivalent to patootie. Shane is Alisa's patoots :) ...
2. patoot. Watered-down word for butt. He shoved money up the birds patoot.

awesome..

I was thinking #2. Did you google?? :bg:

celticpiping
12-04-12, 06:20 PM
yeah I just love googlin stuff sometimes..

not that I didn't know what patootie meant..
but it's sometimes more fun to read the 'official' rendering..

;)

acadianpiper
12-04-12, 07:18 PM
Corking was popular with some pipers at least as far back as the 1960s and, I'm told, even much earlier. I knew a couple of pipers who had it done in the '60s

I have a set of pipes made by Gord Tuck in 2005 that have the tuning slides and the drone tenons corked. This was not my choice, but it seems to work quite well on the whole. I've had no problem with the cork on the drone tenons or on the tenor tuning slides. I add a little cork grease every once in a while and once every couple of weeks or so take the pipes completely apart to let the cork relax and puff up a bit. The lower slide on the bass has been a bit of problem, though. The pipes are half silver mounted and are quite hefty, and the weight of the mid and top bass sections would cause them to slip down on the lower tuning slide, sometimes as much as a quarter to three-eighths of an inch, after I had played and moved around for a bit. This, of course, put the bass drone quite out of tune. I have had to add hemp to the cork on the lower bass tuning slide to fix this problem. I've had no problem with the top slide.

The Townsville Piper
07-05-12, 04:16 AM
Has anyone seen, or use cork used on tuning slides?
It was apparently fairly common years ago.
Does it work?
Good or bad idea?

Hi I am new to this website I have been playing pipes for about thirty years the first 20 where professionally i have used cork on my tuning slides for the past 10 yrs and all the things stated in reference to corking can be eliminated by doing a professional job when first applying it with reference to climate changes these are incorrect I have played in all states of Australia in wet and dry conditions as well as Korea in winter the US (Hawaii) in summer and the UK (London) all that i have had to do was to keep the tuning grease up to them (do not let them dry out)' prior to using cork I was re-hemping every month due to the hemp swelling with ambient weather conditions this is why i changed to cork.