PDA

View Full Version : Pettigrew bagpipes

solodecade
23-06-12, 05:24 PM
I currently play a set of Pettigrew bagpipes. Think they're excellent. Most of my band are playing them as well. The only other set I have to compare them against is a set of kintail that I had a number of years ago now. Another cracking set. Unfortunately playing them in a very hot part of the world for many years took its toll. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pettigrew bagpipes or how they compare to others.

Cheers!

Mark J.
23-06-12, 06:13 PM
Pulling up a seat with popcorn for this :)

Are you based in Aberdeen now? Playing with a band?

I've never heard a set of Pettigrew's to my knowledge so can't comment, but you should take a trek to some highland games and listen to soloists there and make your own comparisons

solodecade
23-06-12, 07:18 PM
Pulling up a seat with popcorn for this :)

Are you based in Aberdeen now? Playing with a band?

I've never heard a set of Pettigrew's to my knowledge so can't comment, but you should take a trek to some highland games and listen to soloists there and make your own comparisons

Yeah, I think I posted the question about idioms in the wrong section. That was on a score sheet for the band.
The pettigrews compared to my kintails in their later days are very easy to tune and hold their tone very well. That was using the exact same reeds. But thats as far as my comparisons go at the minute. Be interesting to hear what others think if them.

sass jane
23-06-12, 08:53 PM
I've never heard of them, so I cannot offer an opinion.

If you play them, like them, and they give you the sound you want and like.....isn't that what matters then?

Just my take on it :)

solodecade
23-06-12, 09:45 PM
I totally agree. The sound is excellent and I wont be playing any other set of pipes anytime soon. Don't be under the impression that im in the market for other pipes. This is out of sheer interest.

piper01888
26-06-12, 08:27 PM
We have a woman in our band whose maiden name is Pettigrew.
Her hubby bought her a set of Pettigrew pipes for Christmas some
years ago[less than 10]. He ordered them from a supplier in
Edmonton. He has promised to get me the specifics. I have tuned these
particular pipes many times, and they have a very nice sound. I believe
she is playing Canning reeds. I forgot to ask her if they came with a chanter
as she is playing a band issue chanter now. I will find out.
Cheers

JHaslip
27-06-12, 03:30 AM
We have a woman in our band whose maiden name is Pettigrew.
Her hubby bought her a set of Pettigrew pipes for Christmas some
years ago[less than 10]. He ordered them from a supplier in
Edmonton. He has promised to get me the specifics. I have tuned these
particular pipes many times, and they have a very nice sound. I believe
she is playing Canning reeds. I forgot to ask her if they came with a chanter
as she is playing a band issue chanter now. I will find out.
Cheers

It would be one of two places... Scottish Imports here in Edmonton or (formally, i beleive hes mostly retired now) The Celtic Pipeline (although his daughter still operates in Calgary) hope that was what you were looking for... Both are great places, and i have deep knowledge of both... :)
...............Double post automerged..............
althopuogh while lokoing for additional information i have discovered that Pettigrew Bagpipes is now dissolved as a company... so I would beleive thast would mean there is a limited group of people that have knowledge of them (low sales?)

castle_dangerous
28-06-12, 10:32 PM
I have Pettigrew Pipes from 1998. They are now a defunct company. For awhile they became MacLachlan pipes, which is also no more. Derek Marr was part of the latter organization, and he now makes pipes as Marr bagpipes-Highland Bagpipe Company, so perhaps they are the lineal descendents of Pettigrew.

sass jane
29-06-12, 09:47 PM
My memory may well be faulty, but I think it was Redneck that got a set of Marr pipes....in the not-too-distant past. He might have something to say about them