PDA

View Full Version : Tune-Tape

craigiehall
05-07-12, 11:15 PM
A roll of this stuff should arrive today. Any thoughts, hints etc from the forum??

JHaslip
05-07-12, 11:44 PM
A roll of this stuff should arrive today. Any thoughts, hints etc from the forum??

never used it, electrical/"gaffers" seems to work the same tho lol

Mark J.
06-07-12, 12:01 AM
Got a roll - rarely use it.

I don't think it's as good as they market it to be but, nonetheless, it's ok stuff! I still find I'm better off just using regular tape.

Plus, I don't buy into the not seeing it is good train of thought. Taped chanters are well common nowadays so who cares who sees if you've got tape?

Anyway, just my opinion. You'll soon see for yourself what you think, most importantly :)

Patrick McLaurin
06-07-12, 12:32 AM
Should have bought 3M 471 or auto pin-striping tape. Tune tape leaves a residue comparable to the better electrical tapes, in my opinion. I've got a roll, looks like it has gooed all over itself.

S. Lloyd
06-07-12, 03:39 AM
Somebody told me just the other day, that a piece of nylon panty hose works great at taking off tape residue.
I haven't tried it yet, but I do know it's good for polishing drone bores!

craigiehall
06-07-12, 05:02 AM
now if only i can remember where i put mine.................

Sounds like a pick-up line!!! Hello, do fancy coming back to my place and help clean my bores??

Armorican
06-07-12, 01:35 PM
I use tunetape all the time and it works great.

1. You don't have the problem of adhesive residue on the chanter that you get with electrical tape and it can be repositioned more often.

2. It's aleady the proper width, so you don't have to mess about cutting strips from a colossal roll.

3. The plastic roll/holder keeps the edges clean and straight, thus you can keep it in your sporran/case/pocket without it picking up the residue of the sandwich you had 3 weeks ago.

Even though I distribute rolls of the stuff everyone in the corps, there are still people who think they know better - they don't and they soon find out when I send them to clean their chanter before I'll tune it, ditto when somebody's suffering from slidey tape syndrome or, even worse, if someone presents a piece of tape with ragged edges - would you buy a chanter if the holes had ragged bores?

kiegelmann
06-07-12, 03:22 PM
the tune tape is great.

i like using the medical "mesh" style tape as it is a little stronger, doesnt cave in to the note holes as bad.

either way, 10+ different tapes that do the same thing, whatever works best for you.

JHaslip
06-07-12, 03:28 PM
3. The plastic roll/holder keeps the edges clean and straight, thus you can keep it in your sporran/case/pocket without it picking up the residue of the sandwich you had 3 weeks ago.

you keep a sandwich in yer sporran? maybe all dogs a4re from scotland are just looking for a meal... lol good post tho lol

kiegelmann
06-07-12, 09:42 PM
you keep a sandwich in yer sporran? maybe all dogs a4re from scotland are just looking for a meal... lol good post tho lol

tupperware sporran.

JHaslip
06-07-12, 11:13 PM
tupperware sporran.

but then wheres the flask go? sammiches i get anywhere, but the special throat seasoning i carry cannot...

craigiehall
08-07-12, 01:27 PM
blinking hell, you speak Glaswegian?? LOL, my SAMMICHIES are kept in ma belly!:bar:

sass jane
09-07-12, 11:39 PM
lol....good tape is relative to the environment you play in!

I use and like tune-tape. I also like cut down Walmart clear hockey tape.....and a really good quality inside/outside electrical tape. All of these have the qualities I need for where I play....not too thick, not too thin (dents/bends into the holes and affects the sound), not too brittle, not too slippy when freshly applied. I will often use gaffers tape on my hi A only.

I have tried various kinds and brands of electrical tape. medical tape. scotch tape. pinstriping tape. body tape. gaffers tape. Even letraset tape (for those old enough to remember such arcane practices!). Use what works for you.....ALL tape SHOULD be reapplied often, after all, it is not meant to be permanent...lol.