PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Elf Project

tartaniac
16-11-06, 12:02 AM
Every year, I manage to get into an Elf Project mode. Last year, my Elf Project involved raising enough money to buy and ship two sets of bagpipes to two Pipers With Out Pipes in Iraq. (PWOPs)

THIS year, I am knitting and encouraging all knitting friends to help me knit caps for soldiers in the Middle East. It's starting to get a little chilly under the kevlar and in the night. And I'm partial to that area because my god-daughter just got moved from Baghdad to Tallil -- she's in a medical detachment. She's in a place where she can actually distribute them to patients.

The only request is that they be cotton, wool, or wool blend. The synthetic yarns are not fire-resistant and melt with just a little heat. Not a good idea.

I have found a website that has all kinds of free knit caps on them:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/hats.php

I'm going to start knitting now and ship them all to Andrea so she can hand them out. If anyone wants to join me, I can guarantee that they will be delivered into the hands of a soldier.

(P.S. -- If you can't knit, you can buy yarn for someone who can. And if you want to put a tag inside that says, "Knit for you by XYZ," it makes it all the more special.)

Dai Robb
16-11-06, 11:06 AM
having been involved in your last project Cat, I am afraid I will have to decline from this one? Knitting is not my thing, however if anyone over this side is going to take up the challenge let me know i will donate some cash to buy the wool.

Bobby
17-11-06, 12:56 PM
hmmm.....sheep.......wool.......wait a sec !!

Dai Robb
17-11-06, 02:10 PM
Now dont you even Go there Bobby?????? Not at this time of the year, do you want them all to catch cold??

tartaniac
17-11-06, 11:53 PM
You can always send me some wool or softie wool. I'll knit them up and put your names, towns, and bands on them. And for some people, I'll even do them in your football colors just so it's an equal opportunity world.

I've got one rolling off the needles. With an open house all weekend, I am hoping to get in a bit of needle work -- unless the place is packed. I hop. I hope.