PDA

View Full Version : RMM2 and the whole upgrade/downgrade thing

Bobby
23-11-06, 07:45 PM
Have you read the letter from Terry Lee on P&D website yet? Strange thing is, he doesn't seem to say anything to dispute the rumours about the whole upgrade/downgrade thing.

Nowan
23-11-06, 08:05 PM
Just read it...

Does this mean that the RMM band will not be grading?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, only following the band competitions since this year...

If so, i think that's rubbish... even if they wouldn't have survived, let them get a taste of grade 1... i'm sure it'll motivate them...

PowerBoozer007
23-11-06, 10:25 PM
Why is anybody concerned about the workings of one band, I'm sure they'll sort it out. In one month, this will have all been forgotten about and they'll be gossiping about something else!

Pete Walen
24-11-06, 02:01 AM
It is the blow-it-out of proportion-event of the moment.

Had a nice email from Andre a few days ago. He and Terry and Jack are still pals (I noticed he did not mention Reid). I suspect part of the deal is that some of the guys in RMM2 simply don't want to deal with the crap of competing in grade 1. Others (like, those who have not been there) want the opportunity but did not get called up this year... or last year... or the year before...

It is perfectly reasonable for a parent organization to exercise oversight over a subordinate (or subsidiary) funtion. If anyone thinks the President of a company that is a wholly owned subsidiary does not come hat-in-hand to the board of the parent company, you really need to understand how the word works. The way SFU as an organization works is much like NASCAR - Grade 1 band (SFU) is the primary band. Period. All others support the needs of that band.

That means that the PM of a lower grade band does take direction from Terry (and Reid for drumming) and that is it. The Premier Grade band leadership sets the direction and goals of the *organization*. The subordinates running the lower grade bands either comply or leave.

These folks running off with the conspiracy theories have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Don't get sucked into it.

You want a rumor to latch onto and spread on other boards? How 'bout this:

Shotts & Dykehead bass & tenor section - 9 tenors, 2 basses.... on the field...

There's a rumor to sinke yer teeth into! :irishman:

An claidheamh soluis
24-11-06, 08:12 AM
The only thing that really concerns me about this is that it's not up to a band to decide the grade in which they should be playing. That's the job of the grading organisation.

It can't be acceptable that RMM thrashed all comers in grade 2 last year but, for whatever reason, don't want to move up. How fair is it to other grade 2 bands that they may have to compete against a band that are quite clearly, on this years showing, a grade 1 band, but for selfish reasons don't want to take promotion?

If they don't want to move up they shouldn't be allowed to compete in grade 2 for at least a season.

redneck
24-11-06, 05:23 PM
The only thing that really concerns me about this is that it's not up to a band to decide the grade in which they should be playing. That's the job of the grading organisation.

It can't be acceptable that RMM thrashed all comers in grade 2 last year but, for whatever reason, don't want to move up. How fair is it to other grade 2 bands that they may have to compete against a band that are quite clearly, on this years showing, a grade 1 band, but for selfish reasons don't want to take promotion?

If they don't want to move up they shouldn't be allowed to compete in grade 2 for at least a season.

I'll second that m8, weren't too behind the door takin' all the praise 'n accolades huh? Kick 'em oot.

Manys a band strive 'n work hard to achive Grade1 status, if they don't want it don't let 'em play.

PowerBoozer007
24-11-06, 06:17 PM
Yea, I've never seen the honour of staying in a lower grade just to harvest prizes? There's no honour in that!

It always felt good to be a part of something you can build and see progress, I guess it must be a different mentality to play in a feeder band?

Stormy
24-11-06, 09:18 PM
It is perfectly reasonable for a parent organization to exercise oversight over a subordinate (or subsidiary) funtion................Grade 1 band (SFU) is the primary band. Period. All others support the needs of that band.

Until such time as the secondary band does so well that it becomes an equal to the primary band.
It has happened in the past and the primary band eventually folded with the secondary band becoming the primary band under a different name with different sponsors.
Is the demise of SFU as we know it in it's infancy???

Stormy
24-11-06, 09:22 PM

Does the word "arrogance" come to mind???
They can remain in G2 if they wish but should not under these circumstances expect to compete in the worlds next year.

Belliabang
25-11-06, 04:15 AM
is the shotts rumor true pete?

wow, cuz the crazy thing is, our LD wants to have 2 bass drums, lol

Pete Walen
25-11-06, 12:46 PM
is the shotts rumor true pete?

wow, cuz the crazy thing is, our LD wants to have 2 bass drums, lol

Like shootin' fish in a barrel... Just fer fun, Matt, post that "you heard from a reliable source" out on that other large, recently uber-moderated forum that you heard that... see what happens... :bg:

Glyn_Mo
25-11-06, 10:48 PM
I have heard from that a well-connected source that even if the British Columbia Pipers Association puts RMM back to Grade II, the RSPBA here have no intentions of re-grading them back to Grade II.

Nowan
26-11-06, 01:46 PM
I have heard from that a well-connected source that even if the British Columbia Pipers Association puts RMM back to Grade II, the RSPBA here have no intentions of re-grading them back to Grade II.

And that's only normal...

Belliabang
26-11-06, 08:22 PM
I could see that, its not fair if the band wins the worlds in gr2 2 years in a row.

PowerBoozer007
26-11-06, 09:50 PM
Well this all goes back to the Prince Charles Fiasco where they won the gr2 Worlds and the RSPBA didn't promote the abdn to gr1 as they usually did with every band before them.

Like it or not, the RSPBA will have to abide by a band's home association grading policy.

Bobby
26-11-06, 11:27 PM
yea...l;ets start it going roun d that due to Kilpatrick doing so many schools and workshops over here, he's been watchinga bunch of DCI programs,, was so impressed with the musicality of it all that he wants to introduce it into the pipe band genre next year. I can see it now...multiple bass drums tuned to different pitches, 9 tenors at different pitches, maybe trympani's on the side lines and a glockenspeil or two to round it all out.

jjpiper
27-11-06, 01:21 AM
Is that 2 bass drums and one bass drummer? LOL. As long as it doesn't have wheels for the parade like some bands at Octoberfest.

Belliabang
27-11-06, 01:27 AM
two bass drums, say a 14" and a big 18", both tuned to A#, but have differnent depth and ring to them, giving a syncopated bass feeling. I know the 78th did it in 02', using a 14" bass and a big hosbilt, the rhythm tenor (Ivan) played almost stroke for stroke with thebass drum. It led to a world championship.

Nowan
27-11-06, 01:39 AM
I think it's good that drum sections are getting more advanced, complicated and better sounding...

as long as they're not involving other type of percussion at competition, and what they do is within the rules... it's at their own risk, and can only be good for the quality of the drumming...

Werepiper
27-11-06, 05:01 PM
I think that thinking outside of the box away from competition keeps everyone excited about what they are doing.

PowerBoozer007
30-11-06, 12:19 AM
I didn't know the PM, his wife and LD left in protest over the Down grade.

Sounds like there will be another band in the making that is outside the Borg territory.