PDA

View Full Version : Price on piping

Nowan
21-12-06, 08:36 AM
After reading a post of Lady Guinevere 705 in the general section...

I was wondering how much you people ask for a solo-gig... (or how much your band charges for one piper)...

I understand if some people rather don't post that, though it's just to see what the average is so i can finally decide what price i'll be asking people...

I don't want to charge much, 'cause im doing it for fun and see it as extra practise and experience, but people are always telling me i should ask more...
"hat i could really make load of money with it"... but that's not my ultimate goal...

I'll start off:

I let the price depend a bit on which kind of gig it is, how much time i'm spending there, how far away it is, ... but usually i'd ask about 15 - 25 €'s

which is... 10 - 17 £ or 11 - 19 US$

My former band charged 60€ for a piper... which is 40£ or 46US$...
But all that money went to the band...

And they charged 700€ (467£ / 910US$) for a full-band... (10-15 ppl)

I don't know what my new band asks, but it appears to be a bit more...

Cheers!

Dundee Piper
21-12-06, 10:03 AM
well i charge a flat fee of £60 - £80, plus travel.

hogmanay however is £100 + donations bucket :bg:

David

Nowan
21-12-06, 10:28 AM
well i charge a flat fee of £60 - £80, plus travel.

hogmanay however is £100 + donations bucket :bg:

David

... But I bet listening to you is worth that kind of money :bg:

Dundee Piper
21-12-06, 11:00 AM
thanks for the compliment m8y

Fred Fomm
21-12-06, 03:58 PM
(...) usually i'd ask about 15 - 25 €'s (...)

I'd add

at least one 0 after those figures.

Wages vary greatly, according to the piper's experience and the when?, where?, for whom? and for how long? descriptors... Still methinx ten quid for a rendition is too little, regardless of who's playing what. The GHB is a very expensive instrument, and it takes the musician a whole lotta blood, sweat and tears to learn it. Charging cheap devaluates your hard work.

I don't take gigs any longer, but I charged dearly when I used to. Of course; supply-and-demand also dictates the end sum you're gonna get; competent pipers being so scarce in Brazil, I could ask for 1,000 USD plus expenses and get it. Am not sure how available are pipers in België, yet am comfy to say that you should aim higher.

Good luck!!

Fredgie

macpiper
21-12-06, 04:12 PM
When I got married we had a piper from the Legion play while people were coming to the church, during the ceremony, and he piped us in to the reception hall. He charged $150 CAD. His family was also invited to stay at the reception if they desired. I think total hours he was there was around 2- 2.5.

Mom2Grace
21-12-06, 05:44 PM
In my area, weddings are about $300 CDN to play...one piper...
wjen I got married (:banghead:) I paid two pipers from my band $125 each.

alasterdo
21-12-06, 06:16 PM
My part time job is playing the pipes at weddings and this summer played about 40. I do this through an agency. The rates are:

---------------------------------------------------------
Off-peak times (weekdays, Sundays, winter): £140 [208 Eur]

Peak times (Weekends, summer): £170 - £190 [253 - 283 Eur], depending how busy we are.

Worlds/Cowal: £210 [312 Eur] , nightmare getting a piper!
--------------------------------------------------------

It's not me who makes up these prices, I just work for them!

Hope this helps!

Piper of Rose
21-12-06, 06:21 PM
$200.00 plus any major travel. Weddings or funerals.

Jamesinator
21-12-06, 06:29 PM
$300 and if its far away, they can pay me $350.

Bobby
21-12-06, 06:35 PM
Around Ottawa, the average seems to be about $200.00 CDN + travel if far, for a standard wedding. Some charge more, others less, but most tell me that number. We have allot of pipers here. I base my rate on the time involved, distance travelled and the ability of the client to pay. I don't charge family, friends, or bandmates if it's for them directly.

phyx
21-12-06, 06:56 PM
I think I should start playing some solo gigs! If I could get just 2 gigs/week at James' prices I could quickly quit working here!

But then I have to find at least 2 people a week who like my piping enough to pay for it and that's probably not going to happen around here. LOL

redneck
21-12-06, 08:02 PM
My rates are something similar to Davids.........£60 > £100 depending on the gig, some I'll do for free. Various charity events ect.

The gig I do in Tayport is a freebie, but the hospitality out does any expenditure I'd be out plus the craic is mighty too and it's fer a gid cause.

Weekday gigs would also have to cover my loss of pay plus the fee.

Bobby made a good point which I do also. The ability of the person/persons requesting my services to pay. The fee here would be dropped depending on the circumstances. Can work the other way also.

Nowan
22-12-06, 01:40 PM
Wow... you people are making fortunes (compared to me anyway)...

I've also doen a few for free, like for charity or an old folks home...

but the most important thing is playing the pipes, not making money out of'm..

I'm not saying you people are, i just don't feel comfortable asking so much for something i love to do, and while i'm doing other people a pleasure...

My young naïve attitude i suppose...

PowerBoozer007
22-12-06, 07:23 PM
I do honestly believe that some people get carried away with their pricing as it's nothing more than a cash grab for them.

I don't understand the point of penalizing people for wanting to have a piper at their wedding or funeral service. Concidering that most pipers work a regular job all day long for around $100/day, I think $150 is fair compensation for a couple hours of their time with maybe 5 minutes of actual work involved.

If you don't want the inconvenience of the job, then give it to somebody else that can really use the money. Seeing as the original question is asking about pricing in the UK, 40 to £50 should be adequate for playing a couple tunes.

Piper of Rose
22-12-06, 08:13 PM
For weddings I have the following duties.

Sit down prior to the wedding and pick out songs with the bride. 3 hours of my time.

Rehersal. Gheez it sucks easily 4 maybe 5 hours of my time

Wedding day. Show up 1 hour prior to wedding and tune up check out the situation make sure all is lined up. 3 hours.

Pipe them into the reception and play a few tunes answer questions from the wedding party. 2 hours.

So total 13 hours of my time at 200.00 thats $15.00 an hour.

That does not include what I pay for equipment upkeep, uniform, lessons, gas, and the occasional money stiffer or bride or bride's mom from hell. 200 is cheap. Try to hire an orchestra member to play. Your talking 500 to 600. And they don't do half the time the piper does. In my opinion 200 is a bargain.

Piper06
22-12-06, 10:13 PM
PoR you are so cheap, oh we are talking about piping. :mlf:

I think the going rate for my band members is about 250 for a funeral or wedding gig. Of course the band takes a cut for any gigs provided by them.

I am still at the point I would make more money to stop piping instead starting to pipe. :bolt:

Piper of Rose
23-12-06, 03:12 PM
Dennis, don't sell yourself short. I mean for a man of 4'4" you're a great pipers.

Your band takes a cut of gigs provided through the band manager??????

Stormy
24-12-06, 12:45 PM
My part time job is playing the pipes at weddings and this summer played about 40. I do this through an agency. The rates are:

---------------------------------------------------------
Off-peak times (weekdays, Sundays, winter): £140 [208 Eur]

Peak times (Weekends, summer): £170 - £190 [253 - 283 Eur], depending how busy we are.

Worlds/Cowal: £210 [312 Eur] , nightmare getting a piper!
--------------------------------------------------------

It's not me who makes up these prices, I just work for them!

Hope this helps!

This is pure robbery on the agents part.
Cowal is indeed a difficult time to get a piper but I have played on the day of Cowal in the past and fees are just the same. There is no need to rip people off and give pipers a bad name.
I am much the same as Dundee and Redneck.

Piper06
24-12-06, 01:34 PM
Dennis, don't sell yourself short. I mean for a man of 4'4" you're a great pipers.

Your band takes a cut of gigs provided through the band
manager??????

They get calls through our web site etc, and they call for available members. If it wasn't for the band, then you wouldn't get the gig.

By the way thanks for the build up, but I am only 4'2", must have been the elevator ghillies I wore that day. :Ceith:

Nowan
28-12-06, 01:22 AM
They get calls through our web site etc, and they call for available members. If it wasn't for the band, then you wouldn't get the gig.

By the way thanks for the build up, but I am only 4'2", must have been the elevator ghillies I wore that day. :Ceith:

That raises another thing:

I used to play in a band with a similar system, but i don't think that's right...
Well, my band just took all of the money...

I think if a solo piper goes and play a gig, he's (hopefully) good advertising for the band, and he shouldn't give a share away...

sure if people looked around, they'd find another solo piper, and your band wouldn't even had been mentioned... a pipe band is not an agency, therefor it shouldn't act like one.

Personally i feel really uncomfortable with asking a lot of money for something i just reaaaaally love to do... but that shouldn't mean the band gets the money, the player does something, he / she gets the reward, the band might have arranged the gig, they got free publicity, end of story...

Dai Robb
28-12-06, 12:55 PM
Gertje, we spoke about this the other night on MSN, and as you can see reading the various posts, you certainly are at the bottom of the ladder regards pricing.
Whilst I admire your attitude about playing for the enjoyment, I do feel that you must take into consideration your travelling, time, upkeep of equipment etc, and if you do not wish to "overcharge" you could still ask for the equivalent of about £30.00 and although not becoming rich from it, which as you say is not in your plans, you will however make sure that you are not paying them for the pleasure of doing your Job?
After all if you manage to carry out your plans as we talked about, you will need money to pay for various things? I would certainly double your charges at least. and you need not fel guilty about doing it.
Dai:dai:

PowerBoozer007
28-12-06, 09:02 PM
Gertje, listen to the ancient one, he has parted with some good wisdom!
This only happens once each Mellinium

Piper of Rose
29-12-06, 12:12 PM
Parted I thought he fa... oh never mind

UpstatePiper
12-01-07, 05:00 AM
For weddings I have the following duties.

Sit down prior to the wedding and pick out songs with the bride. 3 hours of my time.

Rehersal. Gheez it sucks easily 4 maybe 5 hours of my time

...snip...

My wife does weddings as a violinist. She leads a string trio/quartet, so there's some extra prep time to acquire the other musicians and get the music to them, if necessary. We put together a demo cd so brides could listen to the cd and pick their own music. Some brides she still has to work with, but many just listen to the cd and fill out the form.

She doesn't do rehearsals. Maybe one every other year year (out of maybe 20 weddings a year). Tells the bride it's just a waste of her time to go.

I think her fee is $125 or $150 (so a quartet is like $500). If we lived in a less rural area the fees would probably be a lot higher, but then again, so would property taxes. It's a business venture and she charges what the market bears.

Maybe some of those ideas of hers will benefit someone -- if you start to get a lot of weddings they are a couple ways to reduce your time requirements.

Bob

PowerBoozer007
12-01-07, 05:15 AM
Maybe some of those ideas of hers will benefit someone -- if you start to get a lot of weddings they are a couple ways to reduce your time requirements.

good points!

Find out what time the service actually starts and what faith it will be conducted under. Catholic services wil take well over an hour, others are mostly done in 20 minutes, 30 minutes tops.

I don't do photo shoots, takes far too long. Just tell the photographer you have to go and take a quick shot straight away with the lucky couple.

Try to avoid sticking around for the reception, by the time they finish with photos it's at least an hour and a half before they start.

Most people just want a bit of pipes so they can say they had a bit of tradition, they are more than happy if you are in and out as quick as you can. I think $150 for a half hour of work is fair enough, unless you have to travel or it's on a holiday weekend when you want to get away yourself.

pipingconnections
18-01-07, 12:04 AM
Starting fee is 150GBP up to 250GBP depending on the engagement and time spent hanging about less the Tax man's cut of course

PowerBoozer007
18-01-07, 12:11 AM
Ah yes, taxes, most of us forgot to ummm, send the taxman his share!

I was just thinking today if I did this full time and claimed expenses, I woudl offer people a cash insentive.

Maybe do a job for $150, or $125 if paid in cash?

I think most people would opt to save money and pash cash?

UpstatePiper
18-01-07, 07:19 PM
I'd suggest not musing about tax evasion on the internet... :bolt:

I file the taxes on my wife's violin performance (Schedule C on a (USA) Form 1040). It's hard to show enough income to justify the expenses. You can tell it's almost tax time, "Honey, are you sure there weren't a few more gigs?"

Bob

PowerBoozer007
18-01-07, 07:38 PM
Bob, you are not suggesting that the government is spying on us pipers are you? :wah:

Actually, there is a revolt going on and more and more people are paying cash for services such as auto repair, appliance repair, plumbling and other house hold services.

I guess people are sick & tired of their money being squandered away by big government agencies. If we did away with the IRS, America would save $5 Billion alone, but that's nothing compared to $800 billion for a pointless war that is not solving anything.

If the government really needs the $25 bucks, I've got a jar full of quarters they can have. It would help in the cost to jail me for $60/day! LOL

Time for another Boston tea Party!

Stormy
18-01-07, 10:23 PM
Starting fee is 150GBP up to 250GBP depending on the engagement and time spent hanging about less the Tax man's cut of course

I'm a Scot and this suggests to me one of two things.......bloody good...or...bloody shite!

Any chance you could explain further as to who would pay that amount of money and for what?
Agents charging that I can accept, but as I said re agents.....