PDA

View Full Version : Band size?

Bobby
06-02-07, 02:58 PM
78th Fraser Highlanders to compete with "28-30" pipers.

According to Pipes and drums website.

What do you all think about the numbers, band sizes in general?

ajmcintosh
06-02-07, 03:29 PM
Andes Highlanders "7-9" Pipers and 4 drummers, very litle :dunno:

Bobby
06-02-07, 03:40 PM
7 - 9 .....That was the size of the first band I belonged to.

phyx
06-02-07, 04:29 PM
Our members are listed on our site. Quite a few actually.

Werepiper
06-02-07, 04:33 PM
We are a small band too 8 pipers, 1 side, 1 tenor, a bass and a DM in training at the moment. Desperate for new members.

Robbie.Crow
06-02-07, 05:04 PM
i think some bands should downsize.. but then again i think some should upsize.. did you see clan gregor at this years worlds?? small eh?

p.s. we have 17 pipers, 10 sides, 7 tenors, 4 bass's and 2 DM's

wee_fee-Fee
06-02-07, 05:35 PM
We have 21 pipers, 10 snares, 6 tenors and a bass.

dharron
06-02-07, 05:57 PM
Andes Highlanders "7-9" Pipers and 4 drummers, very litle :dunno:

Alex, did you count yourself as piper or bass drummer? At this moment we could field 2 snares (plus a student), 3 tenors and bass, making six... but only if we could ever get them all together in the same place. :tap:

ajmcintosh
06-02-07, 06:19 PM
David

please not to anger with me with the account, but in last year we joined single that in practice, or no?
:banghead:

tartaniac
06-02-07, 07:08 PM
Los Gatos Police Pipes & Drums

32 full-time pipers and drummers
some new students who have not played with band yet

Mom2Grace
06-02-07, 08:47 PM
Innisfil Pipes & Drums
8 pipers (on a good day)
4 side drums
1 tenor
1 bass
Soon growing to 9 pipers, 3 sides, 2 tenors and 2 bass

Richmond Hill Centennial Pipe Band
12 pipers (typically)
1 side drum
1 tenor
1 bass
Hopefully adding one more piper and two sides this year.

jjpiper
06-02-07, 09:12 PM
Heaven't measured the sizes of our band. I think that's kind of a personal thing. Besides as long as it's not longer than the kilt I think it's no ones business. And if it is, a simple piece of string can solve that problem.

:troll:

Seriously, a typical parade would be anywhere from:
10-16 pipers
2-4 tenors
1-4 snare
1 bass
drum major.
4-6 dancers
4-8 colour party

Depends on event and amount of people available.

macpiper
06-02-07, 09:15 PM
Seriously, a typical parade would be anywhere from:
10-16 pipers
2-4 tenors
1-4 snare
1 bass
drum major.
4-6 dancers

Depends on event and amount of people available.

You forgot the most important people! The colour party!
Usually 4-8 of them

jjpiper
06-02-07, 09:19 PM
Sorry, how could I forget. Dope!

macpiper
06-02-07, 09:24 PM
And I'm told one photographer

Scarlet O'Hair
06-02-07, 11:10 PM
Yes, it is very nice to have an official band photographer!!:kait:

alasterdo
06-02-07, 11:50 PM
Williamwood 3A Band:

23 Pipers
8 Snares
6 Tenors
1 Bass

Williamwood 4B Band:

17 Pipers
4 Snares
3 Tenors
1 Bass

Williamwood N/J Band:

13 Pipers
3 Snares
2 Tenors
1 Bass

Things are looking healthy for us at the moment but a very high percentage of our players have come through our own system.

I think it's very ambitious of the 78th's to state that they will compete with 28 - 30 pipers. Will be interested to see whether or not this is what happens in reality! Could be pretty mind-blowing stuff if they manage to pull it off!!

PowerBoozer007
07-02-07, 02:19 AM
To me, a true pipe band is 8 pipers, 2 sides, a bass & 2 tenors.

I like playing in a band, not an institution where people cylce thru and you never get to know them.

true_blue_piper
07-02-07, 02:38 AM
nine pipers, three sides, a bass and two tenors......preferably without the guy with yon big stick in the front...

janelleTG
07-02-07, 02:47 AM
Band size, well that depends --what day is it?:tap:
You have to admit the big bands sound good on the DVD's ---:whistle: or is that cause they're grade 1 :whistle: :whistle:

Fred Fomm
07-02-07, 03:35 AM
No band will ever be complete without -

THREE ninjas

FIVE snipers

EIGHT exotic dancers (snakes included)

ONE Numidian android lord-of-war

Once you have that, who cares about pipers, drummers and the like?

Fredgie

true_blue_piper
07-02-07, 03:55 AM

a.k.a. Drum Major ? :rc:

Fred Fomm
07-02-07, 03:59 AM

a.k.a. Drum Major ?

Nooope.

The D|M would be the 'Mutant Denizen Carrying a Pole Atopped by a Silver-clad Shrunken Head'.

Fredgie

GregorBurton
07-02-07, 04:43 AM
To me, a true pipe band is 8 pipers, 2 sides, a bass & 2 tenors.

I like playing in a band, not an institution where people cylce thru and you never get to know them.

A Band, not an Institution ... I like that!

It must be a world of difference for Jake Watson - I heard a story once about him playing a piper with a golf tee in a Grade 1 contest just to make numbers!

Bobby
07-02-07, 01:11 PM
true story.

Bobby
07-02-07, 01:16 PM
We discovered by accident how many pipers we currently have on the roster as playing members. We have a piper that joined us a few months ago, and we decided to keep him. In our effort to find a band chanter to give him last night we discovered we don't have any more. We bought 29. How many appear at any given day ranges from 15 to 30.

2 bass- we need a backup, 4 tenors, 5 sides.

Nowan
07-02-07, 01:38 PM
I just read that The 78th highland frasiers (the canadian one) will be attending the worlds with about 28-30 pipers...

My current band has the biggest group in belgium i think...

about 25 pipers, 10 snares, 4 tenors and a bass...

but they're not all competing (yet) ...

ajmcintosh
07-02-07, 03:03 PM
It think greatest band is with 38 members, somebody knows more greater?:dunno:

redneck
07-02-07, 05:45 PM
My new band has.............???????? don't know, will let y'all know later. This is my first night up.:Ceith:

Wish me luck.:wink: :bg: :irishman:

selpiper
07-02-07, 06:43 PM
Aarhus Pipes and Drums, Denmark:

14 pipers
6-7 sides
3 tenors
1 bass.

We have just ordered a new set of drums for the drumcorp.
Premier HTS 700 sides, Hosbilt/Premier tenors and bass :drum:

PowerBoozer007
07-02-07, 08:30 PM
A Band, not an Institution ... I like that!

It must be a world of difference for Jake Watson - I heard a story once about him playing a piper with a golf tee in a Grade 1 contest just to make numbers!

Yes a band is actually a group of friends, since retiring from the big bands in 96, I've actually enjoyed playing in the wee bands more.

I don't really enjoy playing the bagpipes, I enjoy the people playing the bagpipes, people are my number one reason for joining a band, i really have to like them.

I've played in a couple bands here now where they practice and then go straight home. No social atmosphere, so I promply quit them after the season was done despite their prize winning ability.

Many years ago, I had the choice of playing with the 78th or the Toronto & District Band when Niagara & District broke up. I went with T&D because they had a better social crowd and more laughs than what the other institute could offer. I never regreted that decision, too many priceless memories.

Jake lives for bagpipes, he is truly in his glory!

In the early days of Metro, we did stick a couple bodies in to fill the ranks.
One player did know the stuff, but was an absolute wreck on the field, so he requested a St Andrews special! ;-)

Drew Duthart had a duff player in there as well, you should have seen the look on Drew's face when the guy started to actually try to play! LOL
Ah the growing years, could sell a book with all the stories!

alasterdo
07-02-07, 11:25 PM
My new band has.............???????? don't know, will let y'all know later. This is my first night up.:Ceith:

Best of luck big man ... You left NB??

redneck
08-02-07, 08:02 PM
Best of luck big man ... You left NB??

Yes m8, had enough. My ex army mate who plays wi Bleary & District is PM of a newly promoted 3B band, he asked me up. He's had to leave the Bleary band now because of the bands upgrading.

To be honest I was gub smacked at the repertoire of tunes, there medley is first class m8, good sound too. Lots of drive and enthusiasm also. 12 Pipers4 tenors, bass 'n 5 snares. Good solid wee band with a mixture of youth and experiance.

Things are lookin' good ( fer a change ), half of the medley learnt, MSR da go. Plenty of time left yet before the season starts, just wish I'd taken the decision sooner.

PowerBoozer007
08-02-07, 11:13 PM
Red, Good to hear you found a place where you'lll be happy!

Is it much of a drive for you?

janelleTG
09-02-07, 04:03 AM
Happy times Redneck, Cheers

Werepiper
09-02-07, 10:06 AM
Enjoy it Redneck

alasterdo
09-02-07, 03:26 PM
Glad to hear everything's going well there! What band is it you're at now so I can look out for yer results?! Sounds like everything's going soundly, all the best to you and the band for next season!!

redneck
09-02-07, 05:07 PM
They are Drumlough PB.....newly promoted this season m8. They have a good set up.

Just need da get the medley 'n MSR off, I know all the road tunes.......at least that's something lol.

alasterdo
09-02-07, 05:57 PM
Sounds pretty exciting. All the best learning the tunes!! Maybe you'll share the medley tunes with us at some point in the near future :wink:

Drummer_Punk
09-02-07, 07:55 PM
Ok so on the roster they have 28-30. 14 sides 6 tenors and John Rowe. Are all of these people going to make it? Are they going to show up in the summer with 20-8-4-1?

We shall see. Drew's stuff is hard to play with 3 guys let alone 12-14? I think that if they pull it off it could be nice but I think that the cards are not in their favor. As far as playing in TD over the 78th well I think that if you are in Canada and can make either band, the better solution would have been the 78th thats just me though.

Kevin

PowerBoozer007
10-02-07, 05:52 AM
Don't think it's a wait and see?

"My intention is to play everyone who can make the cut, and that looks like 28 to 30," Livingstone said.

I'm just wondering what you would have to do to not make the cut with that many players. You could fake the whole thing and a judge could never pick that out. A few missed doublings, who would know? You sure can hide a lot of dirt in that army of pipers.

In regard to the differnce between T&D and the 78th, I have zero regrets.
Wininng prizes is not why i play in pipe bands!

sass jane
10-02-07, 06:49 AM
I can't wait to see.....and hear......and yep.....I will be counting when they're on the field. Either way, Mr. Livingstone has guaranteed comment and a few more interested ears this summer just by making such a statement.....

true_blue_piper
10-02-07, 07:02 AM
not half

....and like they say, it's not the size it's what you do with it...

PowerBoozer007
10-02-07, 08:12 AM
not half

....and like they say, it's not the size it's what you do with it...

Like the size of ma heed this coming Sunday after the Burns bash tonight, whati wil do with it is lie in bed all day! :puppydogeyes:

redneck
10-02-07, 01:56 PM
Sounds pretty exciting. All the best learning the tunes!! Maybe you'll share the medley tunes with us at some point in the near future :wink:

Betty Hardie----1st & 4th part ) Hornpipe
Old hag ya killed me-----Jig
Train to Glasgow--------Jig
La Baum----------------S/Air
Aspen Bank-------------Strat'
Transfusion-------------Reel
Back of The Moon-------Reel

4mins 35 sec'......approx'. Nice wee set of tunes m8, there's a nice wee bridge between the H/Pipe 'n first jig.

MSR:- PM Willie Gray
Maggie Cameron
Major David Manson

That's about it Ally m8, oh aye, various 6/8's 'n 4/4's some 9/8's too. Luckily I know most of the bread 'n butter stuff.

Thanks fer yer intrest m8.:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: See ya in the beertent at Dumbarton?.

redneck
10-02-07, 02:00 PM
Like the size of ma heed this coming Sunday after the Burns bash tonight, whati wil do with it is lie in bed all day! :puppydogeyes:

CABBAGE......get oot fer a cure, ya wimp.:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :por: lmao.

PowerBoozer007
10-02-07, 03:39 PM
AH yes of course Iain, hair of the dog! :bgt:

Thanks for keeping me head straight!

Belliabang
10-02-07, 06:02 PM
Hey,
on our roster, we currently have

22 pipers
12 Sides
6 Tenors
and a Bass

CANT WAIT!

PS-

Redneck, I'm glad to hear your enjoying yourself, even if it isn't in Hamilton

tartaniac
11-02-07, 06:25 AM
nine pipers, three sides, a bass and two tenors

And a partridge in a pear tree.

Ever notice that there are 11 pipers piping and 12 drummers drumming?
Sounds like a really nice ratio to me.

tartaniac
11-02-07, 06:28 AM
Wininng prizes is not why i play in pipe bands!

We know.
You're trolling for chicks and free booze.
That's why you've got 3 bands.
Variety. Variety. Variety.

And they are all a pleasure to the ear.

PowerBoozer007
12-02-07, 01:08 AM
We know.
You're trolling for chicks and free booze.

Yes, there is much larger rewards than just the silverware! :hello:

Hey it's easy to hop on the band wagon and go join a winner, these big bands have their plus side and their down side too. Big bands don't make for a tight nit group!

alasterdo
13-02-07, 05:05 PM
Betty Hardie----1st & 4th part ) Hornpipe
Old hag ya killed me-----Jig
Train to Glasgow--------Jig
La Baum----------------S/Air
Aspen Bank-------------Strat'
Transfusion-------------Reel
Back of The Moon-------Reel

4mins 35 sec'......approx'. Nice wee set of tunes m8, there's a nice wee bridge between the H/Pipe 'n first jig.

MSR:- PM Willie Gray
Maggie Cameron
Major David Manson

That's about it Ally m8, oh aye, various 6/8's 'n 4/4's some 9/8's too. Luckily I know most of the bread 'n butter stuff.

Thanks fer yer intrest m8.:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: See ya in the beertent at Dumbarton?.

Sounds like a nice set, couple of tunes I don't know there though! Yep will definitely be in the beertent at Dumbarton ... you guys playing all the majors?? I think it's your round anyway Iain!! :whistle: :Ceith: haha.

redneck
14-02-07, 06:35 PM
5 Majors .....? Hmmmm, not sure I'll get to 'em all m8, but seeing as one is over here we'll deff' be at 3. Dumbarton, Ballymena and of course the big yin.

Ally, if yer in the beertent yer a cert fer a swallie nae probs.....plus some a ma Mourne Mist:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith:

Reid
14-02-07, 09:34 PM

New band Iain. Good luck to ya m8. I hope all goes well. Who ya playin with???

Reid

Reid
14-02-07, 09:42 PM
I just read through all the posts. I see you're with Drumlough PB. It sounds promising. Make sure you keep us posted. Good luck this season.

redneck
15-02-07, 08:13 PM
Thanks Reid, it's early days yet of course, but I've been very impressed with what I've seen 'n heard.

Very friendly bunch of guys ( 'n one girl ) they have made me feel part of the band from day one. Hope we have a good season. This is Drumlough's first year in the higher grade after being promoted as Champion of Champions in 4A, so a big leap, and from what I can tell at this early stage are quite capable of holding their own.................jeeze hope I ain't put the zaps on 'em. LOL

Glyn_Mo
16-02-07, 04:11 PM
...I'm just wondering what you would have to do to not make the cut with that many players. You could fake the whole thing and a judge could never pick that out. A few missed doublings, who would know? You sure can hide a lot of dirt in that army of pipers.

Yes, but at the same time, you won't be hearing the same clarity and definition of technique, which you get from SFU and FMM.

PowerBoozer007
16-02-07, 06:04 PM
Yes, I'm sure there is a diminishing point of no return in regards to volume and clarity.

22 precisely tuned chanters will yield a better result than 30 chanters that are just close. Decible levels are logrithmic, meaning you have to increase the volume by a factor of 10 to get double the volume.

So if 22 pipes are producing a volume level of 120 Db's, 8 more pipes might get you another 4 decibles, but the human ear can only detect a difference in volume by increments of 3 db's, so thenet effect is barely detectable.

8 more chanters only has the potential to do more harm than good! It only takes one or two chanters in the whole lot to cancel any real gain they might have had. Unless the harmonics of the sound is in 100% unity, the off harmonics will cancel any gain and actually decrease the volume, that's why the massed bands can't be heard from too far and is only a faint sound from the beertent. This is the excuse/explanasion I always use when I miss mass bands, the PM can't argue the point, unless he's holding a volumetric sound meter with oscilliscope to measure sound harmonics ! ;-)

PowerBoozer007
16-02-07, 06:16 PM
BTW, how do I know this?

It was an experiment to build a simple amplifier in college. You could watch a sound wave increase in volume when you intoduced another frequency signal that matched it's harmonic equivalent, but decrease when another unmatched frequency was introduced.

It's otherwise known as distorsion or massed bands! :gah:

sass jane
17-02-07, 06:23 AM
Yes, I'm sure there is a diminishing point of no return in regards to volume and clarity.

22 precisely tuned chanters will yield a better result than 30 chanters that are just close. Decible levels are logrithmic, meaning you have to increase the volume by a factor of 10 to get double the volume.

So if 22 pipes are producing a volume level of 120 Db's, 8 more pipes might get you another 4 decibles, but the human ear can only detect a difference in volume by increments of 3 db's, so thenet effect is barely detectable.

8 more chanters only has the potential to do more harm than good! It only takes one or two chanters in the whole lot to cancel any real gain they might have had. Unless the harmonics of the sound is in 100% unity, the off harmonics will cancel any gain and actually decrease the volume, that's why the massed bands can't be heard from too far and is only a faint sound from the beertent. This is the excuse/explanasion I always use when I miss mass bands, the PM can't argue the point, unless he's holding a volumetric sound meter with oscilliscope to measure sound harmonics ! ;-)

Seriously cool John.........I didn't know that most of us can only detect a difference by increments of 3 db's.....Awesome!

Scarlet O'Hair
17-02-07, 06:27 AM
I ran out of fingers....:jeeze:

Stormy
17-02-07, 10:05 AM
The PM of a G1 band looking to win the Worlds must surely leave no stone unturned. If there is any possbility of something going wrong.....the attack, nerves, the adrenaline rush, lack of confidence etc.....then he has the responsibility and duty to do all in his power to avoid these situations.

The larger the pipe corp the more chances of getting it wrong. If the PM wants to go this way then good luck to him.

Personally I do not think that bigger is necessarilly better.

:stormy:

Dai Robb
17-02-07, 01:38 PM
The temptation to lower the tone of this thread was nigh on overwhelming

redneck
17-02-07, 03:22 PM
The temptation to lower the tone of this thread was nigh on overwhelming

Hmmm, why ain't that surprising me comin' from you ?.:Ceith:

Piper of Rose
18-02-07, 03:22 AM
I think I just counted 38 active members in our band. This would be active posible competitors. Of course counting the students and all we have about 70 total members.

Glyn_Mo
19-02-07, 01:34 PM
...the PM can't argue the point, unless he's holding a volumetric sound meter with oscilliscope to measure sound harmonics ! ;-)

What's the chances of you managing to coherently say the word "oscilliscope" by the time Massed Bands comes around?! :por:

redneck
19-02-07, 06:09 PM
LMAO..........I'd say ZILCH.:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith:

PowerBoozer007
22-02-07, 08:47 AM
Glyn, lucky for me, we just call it an O-Scope! :mlf:

It's also known as a Wave Meter, to measuse the size of the wave when the PM catches you in the beertent and your waving your azz good-bye!

W Kemler
28-04-07, 06:16 PM
I would have to agree with Stormy, the bigger the band the more chances of mistakes, but in the same token, I don't think that Bill Livingston would play 28-30 pipers unless the quality was there. As a snare drummer, I would enjoy the preformance of 7-9 snares spot on, vs 10-12 snares muttled.

heatherbelle
28-04-07, 07:59 PM
I would have to agree with Stormy, the bigger the band the more chances of mistakes, but in the same token, I don't think that Bill Livingston would play 28-30 pipers unless the quality was there.

I can see the bigger the band the more people and hence the more the chance of individual mistakes, but could it be too that the bigger the band the more individual errors could be 'hidden' in the crowd. If there were nine pipers would that not seperate the sheep from the goats, because any errors would be really exposed, because nobody could hide in the crowd?????????:flowers:

Stormy
28-04-07, 08:34 PM
.....but could it be too that the bigger the band the more individual errors could be 'hidden' in the crowd.

At that standard (G1) I don't think that individual errors would be hidden as the band should be playing so tight that errors could stand out even more.
Neither do I think that such a size of band can be that tight together, no matter how experienced the players, so maybe you could indeed be correct.

W Kemler
28-04-07, 10:24 PM
I can see the bigger the band the more people and hence the more the chance of individual mistakes, but could it be too that the bigger the band the more individual errors could be 'hidden' in the crowd. If there were nine pipers would that not seperate the sheep from the goats, because any errors would be really exposed, because nobody could hide in the crowd?????????:flowers:

I think that there is some truth that, but if a mistake is made, wouldn't it change the overall sound of the section to some degree? but you are right, a bigger corp can get away with mistakes alot easier than a small corp can:drum:

W Kemler
29-04-07, 05:03 PM
I play with the Flint Scottish Pipe Band here in Michigan. The band picked up Ted Barr (former lead tip for City of Detroit) about 5 months ago, and Dennis Lowe as PM. The band has absolutely exploded with a huge influx of players. We have 27 pipers, 17 snares(6 are young beginner students), 6 tenors, and a bass. We are already talking about having to start another band. To compete with a band of that size, we feel would compromise quality, and we are really dedicated to having a ton of fun, and putting out a good product.

heatherbelle
29-04-07, 08:15 PM
Maybe it depends too on the errors and mistakes we're talking about. If your 27 pipers were competing at the Worlds, and three of them had messy strike ins and a bad unclean cut off, I guess they'd have lost the whole band a lot of points - whereas if all the beginnings and endings were good, but three pipers missed the C doubling in bar 3 of the second part of their last tune, would anybody notice, and would it be such a disaster??

On the other hand in a band with 9 pipers, if a third of them missd the C doubling, maybe it WOULD be noticed, and matter.:flowers:

W Kemler
29-04-07, 09:01 PM
I love this topic of discussion. I find it fascinating to hear different points of view. I would diffidently agree with you that bad strike ins and ending will wreak a good performance. If a judge is standing right behind an individual when an unclean note is played, it will be heard no matter how big the corp is. I feel some leeway is given to the bigger corps because it is more difficult for 27 pipers to play spot on, than it is for 9 pipers, and of course 9 pipers just will not produce the volume of sound, which will high lite unclean playing.:beer:

UpstatePiper
01-05-07, 10:33 PM
Unless the harmonics of the sound is in 100% unity, the off harmonics will cancel any gain and actually decrease the volume, that's why the massed bands can't be heard from too far and is only a faint sound from the beertent.

Cool! I had been wondering why massed bands didn't seem all that loud compared to a single band.

Our band has 9 pipers now, I think. It's hard to imagine what it would be like to be in a band with 70 people.

PowerBoozer007
02-05-07, 05:27 AM
I play with the Flint Scottish Pipe Band here in Michigan. The band picked up Ted Barr (former lead tip for City of Detroit)

Nice to hear Ted still working away, congratulations! :bgt:

PowerBoozer007
02-05-07, 05:28 AM
It's hard to imagine what it would be like to be in a band with 70 people.

It stops being a band when the players don't really know each other!

W Kemler
02-05-07, 12:44 PM
you use to be the PM of COD didn't ya boozer? you know what Ted will do with the drum corp, we are a gd2 corp now and we have only been to geather for 4-5 months, it is, and going to be a really good thing:drum:

Piper of Rose
02-05-07, 12:56 PM
Ok back to the original.

70 on roster and 40 uniformed for Knoxville Pipes and Drums.

Roster includes students and full fledged members

We compete with around 13-15 pipers and 7 drumers(snare tenor and bass)

If you can't tell we have a large teaching program.

Bobby
02-05-07, 01:17 PM
While I have my reservations about bands effectively becoming a gravity well sucking in every player they can get their hands on any way they can (and that's not directed at the 78'th Frazers just so I'm clear) numbers alone do not necessarily mean a bad thing. The average college or highschool marching band in the US is 50 - 100 people and some of those performances are awesome to behold. With greater numbers there is the possibility of more complex arrangements of music. They have much more to think about than just playing like we do. The leadership of those good groups is capable of dealing with it though.

I do know from my own experience that when you have 1 or two week players among 12 or among 30, the impact is bigger with 12.

What I do have reservations about is the impact these pipe bands have on their communities and local piping communities. Typical competition bands, at least the kind I know of, are not usually very active in their communities. They try to suck up all the players in the region and effectively shut down some smaller bands that are active in their community. They don't generally do parades and small functions. If people don't get to see and hear them then they don't inspire new generations of players to take up the art. An additional spin-off reservation is that playes that don't meet the preferred calibre of the group fequentkly become marginalized and drop away from the piping community. That is ,in my opinion, a bad thing. Then comes the inevitable clash of ego's that can polarize a community, and that is a very bad thing. It doesn't ALWAYS happen...but history tells me that it's likely to.

PowerBoozer007
04-05-07, 09:02 PM
you use to be the PM of COD didn't ya boozer? you know what Ted will do with the drum corp, we are a gd2 corp now and we have only been to geather for 4-5 months, it is, and going to be a really good thing:drum:

Yes, the City of Detroit band was a good learning experience. You have a long road ahead of you as there is some tough competition.

Best of luck to you all!

W Kemler
05-05-07, 12:34 AM
With out a dought. Good things take time, everyone in the band is focused for the long hall. And your right, there are some really good bands that where gonna have to face. I personally love tough competition, i would get bored if it where a walk in the park all the time. There was some talk in the band reguarding going out west next year, maby hit the veagus games or santa rosa. i'll keep ya posted, cheers:beer:

PowerBoozer007
08-05-07, 10:16 PM
Don't waste your money on Vegas, it's a small venue, Pleasanton is where you want to go. Biggest event on the west coast. Santa Rosa ended in 93, but it's almost the same thing.

Good bands are here today, gone tomorrow, so hope you have what it takes to keep it all together.

wjjagfan
09-05-07, 10:34 PM
Our band just split our practice sessions. We were holding G4 and G3 practice at the same time and it was a struggle, especially for the new pipers.

Now that the G4 has their own practice with a much smaller group the improvement is very noticable. Maybe with higher grade bands where players can make the adjustements without too much personal attention larger groups would work, but in G4 a lot of tutoring takes place with individual pipers to get the timing and tone just right. In my experience (which is admitedly limited) a smaller group works better in G4.