PDA

View Full Version : removing it rusts and putting brightness, for you bagpipe

ajmcintosh
07-02-07, 04:21 PM
please, any suggestion to remove to rusts to the metallic parts of bagpipes, without deterioration, I use a product called Brasso, is dirty, is necessary to work with care, can stain the wood and the ivory

Bobby
07-02-07, 06:25 PM
I would suggest you switch to using a creamy type of silver polish because it is less harsh on the silver or nickel mounts. if you get some on the wood or ivory, just use some warm water and a clean soft cloth to wipe it off after you are done. It won't harm the wood or the ivory. Use a soft jewelers cloth in between to keep it clean. A good jewelry store could provide you with one. There is a cleaning cloth made by Harris reeds that is good for "inbetween" cleaning of silver. It works pretty good too.

ajmcintosh
07-02-07, 07:39 PM
thank good suggest,I will ask in jewelry shop then :kait: :kait: :kait:

Stormy
08-02-07, 02:26 AM
I use Brasso wadding rather than the liquid.

sass jane
08-02-07, 04:14 AM
I use Tarn - X liquid ....mainly because I want to cause the least amount of abrasion to the silver/nickel as possible. My Hardies are nickel plated...and there are spots where the nickel has all worn off (they were '4th or 5th hand' when I got them). I tend to be a wee bit picky when it comes to my pipes.

Tarn - X is only good for tarnish though...won't do anything for rust.

dharron
08-02-07, 05:31 PM
How about WD-40? It's supposed to be good for cleaning everything.

Seriously, we're quite restricted here in Chile as to what is available to us. I've seen a couple of Brasso pastes, one for brass and one for silver, but nothing else.

Bobby
08-02-07, 05:52 PM
I think he meant tarnish, not actual rust.

ajmcintosh
08-02-07, 06:38 PM
the problem of the WD-40, is oiled, already I tried it

A. Shack
08-02-07, 09:43 PM
Connoisseur Jewelry Wipes (http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/1-186/2-44748/3-1/bb/jewelery_wipes,dry-touch_jewelry_wipes,take_1_second_each_morning_to_ keep_diamonds_sparkling.htm?) work very well to remove tarnish, and because they're dry, there's no chance of spilling over onto the wood.

ajmcintosh
09-02-07, 07:16 PM
thank good suggest

Bobby
09-02-07, 08:08 PM
Many years ago, a popular method of cleaning silver was using cigarette ashes and water.

Stormy
10-02-07, 12:23 AM
Many years ago, a popular method of cleaning silver was using cigarette ashes and water.

Careful Bobby, you are giving your age away!!!

dharron
10-02-07, 12:24 AM
Hey, now that I can help with, Alex. Let me know how many bags of ashes you need? :drum1::drum1::drum1:

Bobby
10-02-07, 02:13 AM
Careful Bobby, you are giving your age away!!!

Ummmmm.....I must have read it somewhere .....yeh.....that must be it...:rotf: LOL

redneck
10-02-07, 03:15 PM
When cleaning the silver on pipes I've used a 2" wide strip of masking tape around the wood to protect it.

This works a treat, a bit of a pain, but will only need done maybe once or twice a year...or........on yer pipes birthday lmao. Well worth the effort to stop the paste/wadding getting into the fine combing of the wood.

ajmcintosh
10-02-07, 05:37 PM
I am thinking, to paint with transparent varnish, when it puts brightness it remains years, is a trick that a military friend told me, therefore he saved to clean the bellboys of the uniform, of course, no chief knew....jejejeje will prove first with a sample and writes of the result.