PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with the Colonel

Colonel644
08-02-07, 12:12 AM
Well here is the first of a new cooking segment being shown on WYMT , Channel 57 Eastern Kentucky. ALthough not the biggest or longest segments in the world, I think we did OK for having never done anything like this on both our parts. If what I did isn't working you can look up wymt on the net and then look for "Cooking with the Colonel".

Cooking With The Colonel (http://ww2.wkyt.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1221150&h1=WYMT%20Cooking%20with%20the%20Colonel&vt1=v&at1=News%20-%20Hard%20News&d1=344500&LaunchPageAdTag=News%20-%20Hard%20News&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//ww2.wkyt.com/global/category.asp%3Fc%3D85866%26title%3DWYMT+News+Video s%26maxItems%3D15%26WNResizeIframeID%3Dwn_frame468 90810728072%26clientType%3Dwn_video_c%26WNResizeFi leURL%3Dhttp%3A//www.wkyt.com/video/resize&rnd=35825606)

Werepiper
08-02-07, 01:26 PM
Having trouble with my vid playing on the computer but it sounds good.

Bobby
08-02-07, 02:57 PM
Here I was all excited, thinking I was finally going to learn the secret recipe of KFC 11 herbs and spices. :woohoo:

Colonel644
08-02-07, 03:01 PM
LOL, No one knows that secret. But to whomever fixed my attempt at linking videos to the site, Thank you very much!!!!!

DM Bill
08-02-07, 03:15 PM
DEBBIE DOES DESSERT?!!!! :sass:

Ooops, wrong video!

Sorry Colonel, STILL no luck seeing it... I'll keep trying tho'

DM Bill
08-02-07, 05:04 PM
Finally! Saw it! Here's a screen cap:

KatieMc
08-02-07, 07:40 PM
I saw it and loved it! My only complaint is that we don't see you enough, Scott... lots of shots from the side, but I wanted to see your face!

I can't wait for next week's show!!

phyx
08-02-07, 11:26 PM
LOL, No one knows that secret. But to whomever fixed my attempt at linking videos to the site, Thank you very much!!!!!

You're welcome. :beer:

Scarlet O'Hair
08-02-07, 11:51 PM
Very kewl....

I might just "wow" Mr Scarlet with that one Saturday for dinner! (the recipe I mean :bg:)

Colonel644
09-02-07, 12:34 AM
Wah, Thank you now. Miss Scarlett. And thanks again to Phyx. The way they are gonna run this is each week they do a different dish and then on the final week they do a re-cap and then show everyone eating.
We both learned alot from this. But the way things go, I'm hoping this isn't the first and last. Besides, I"m enough of an attention ***** to do one of these every day. LOL

Colonel644
09-02-07, 12:39 PM
I saw it and loved it! My only complaint is that we don't see you enough, Scott... lots of shots from the side, but I wanted to see your face!

I can't wait for next week's show!!

Thank you Katie !!!

Fred Fomm
09-02-07, 01:11 PM
Dear mate,

congratulations!! I liked your style; one of the main secrets (for me) on this sorta dish is cutting the onions properly. Even if 'you can never have too much of'. And by what I saw, you did it perfectly. (Kwik exp - cut them in bits too small and the whole thing will reek and taste of onion, and onion alone. Extremely chopped onion becomes an impregnating as garlic; so tis not actually down to the amount. Scott please, correct me if you disagree).

I started cooking for a girlfriend I had some good years back. She decided to be a professional Ygi (not the bear; those Yga contortionists) and then had to adhere to a strict veggie diet. By those days in Brazil, saying 'I'm a veggie would grant you in any restaurant a leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato and - luck allowing - some broccoli. I bought some cookbooks and advertured myself in that (by then) unknown realm called 'the kitchen'.

The fling flung off; still am yet an oven pilot. My speciality is Mediterranean. Say; next time you come to Brazil we throw a 'clash of the pans'???

Even if I hardly use a pan per se - I use a hi-tech wok for almost everything...

Salut!

Fredgie

:wine: :wine: :wine:

Colonel644
09-02-07, 01:28 PM
dating a contortionist?? that sounds like fun. OF course that brings to mind the old joke " What do you call a contortionist from the Phillipines??" A Manila folder.

Colonel644
09-02-07, 01:42 PM
Dear mate,

congratulations!! I liked your style; one of the main secrets (for me) on this sorta dish is cutting the onions properly. Even if 'you can never have too much of'. And by what I saw, you did it perfectly. (Kwik exp - cut them in bits too small and the whole thing will reek and taste of onion, and onion alone. Extremely chopped onion becomes an impregnating as garlic; so tis not actually down to the amount. Scott please, correct me if you disagree).

Fredgie

:wine: :wine: :wine:

Well, I don't disagree about cutting them up smaller makes a more pronounced "onion" flavor but that's due to a sulphur compound that is containted in onions. The more you cut or chop them the more surface area you are increasing and also the amount of the sulphur compound that re-acts when mixed together.
Now the way to remedy that is to add heat which changes those compounds and also decreases your amount of residul water and concentrates your sugars. But also if you add some white wine ( or any alcohol ) to a dish with finely chopped onions that will breakdown that sulphur compound faster and also enhances the flavors of your sugars.

Fred Fomm
09-02-07, 01:55 PM
Surface

was always my main concern. You have just put in expert (sci-cook) terms what I've learnt from experience... Have no idea that Sulfur was the main involved; and adding alcohol (either wine, brandy or cooking wine, depending on the dish) is almost instinctive in me.

A cousin of mine is a chef, but he could never explain things with such clarity. Before you ask - he's gooood. Only not... articulate.

Fredgie

DM Bill
09-02-07, 02:44 PM
Scott, I haven't had any luck seeing this clip yet, dammit!

Sound like it went really really well though, so Congrats on that, and wish you much more success!

Colonel644
10-02-07, 05:03 AM
LOL , Bill if you cannae see it by now, you'll have to wait til I get the DVD of the programs and then post them to Youtube.

Fredgie, I"m no where near an expert. This little adventure has been another "event" that G*d has blessed me with until I mess it up! Thank you.

janelleTG
11-02-07, 01:06 PM
Nice one Scott. :bow: This is a recipe I'll have to try.
Though it took a minute for me to understand what you were doing? ---No I'm not silly. Here we call jelly, jam and jello, jelly. So I'm thinking jelly (jello) and chicken Yuk--Then again maybe I am silly. :faint:

Do we get a hint for what's on the next weeks menu?

Colonel644
11-02-07, 01:10 PM
Actually the next segments will be the side dishes and dessert that go with the Peach glazed Hen. then the final segment of this month will be showing the complete meal and everyone chowing down on it.

But yeah here's the rest of the dishes:
Neeps and Tatties
Pan seared sweet corn with bacon crumbles
Dessert; Country Arbour Parfaits (a parfait cream flavored with a sweet Reisling style wine , layered with strawberries and blueberries and strawberry fan for garnish)

janelleTG
11-02-07, 01:14 PM
Sounds great.
One question, Neeps?--- Turnips?

Colonel644
11-02-07, 01:17 PM
Rutabaga:wink:

DM Bill
11-02-07, 04:27 PM
Scott, as you know, my beverage of choice is Cider (Strongbow, generally).
You might like to keep your eyes open for a new taste treat for dessert that I recently noticed. It is "Ice Cider".
As with Ice Wine, it is from apples pressed while deeply frozen. The sugars are concentrated in the ice crystals, making for a very sweet dessert wine.
Probably not well known in KY, due to your dogged determination not to experience the true joys of winter the way we Canucks do...

Colonel644
12-02-07, 03:09 PM
this past few weeks of below Zero temps have been enough and As for experiancing "Canuck Winter" happens all the time. My weatherperson is constantly blaming Canada for the cold air we get.I've felt enough , time for warm weather, and the grass to return to it's brilliant blue-green hue.

tartaniac
12-02-07, 10:22 PM
The segment was fantastic.
Scott, you have a great backside and we already knew that... but I'm guessing the cameraman asked for your phone number.

The lighting was terrible. They needed to block the window with a poster of the outside view, and use some bump umbrellas to get more light inside.

We never did get a good look at your handsome self.

Can't wait to get there and have you cooking for me!
hugs
SEND NEXT INSTALLMENT SOON!

Colonel644
12-02-07, 11:18 PM
We learned alot from that first taping. I also learned to order in a new "fitted" black chef's coat. that one was a loaner and made me look 3 times bigger than I am now. I've slimmed my waist down and been working out some , didn't realize that I looked that FAT in the video.
Oh well live and learn.

Colonel644
12-02-07, 11:21 PM
The segment was fantastic.
Scott, you have a great backside and we already knew that... but I'm guessing the cameraman asked for your phone number.
Can't wait to get there and have you cooking for me!
hugs
SEND NEXT INSTALLMENT SOON!

ROFLMAO!!! No he didn't. I was the only representative of the 13th (and most fabulous) Lost Tribe of Israel.

Werepiper
12-02-07, 11:31 PM
The camera always puts 10lb on you. I still haven't seen the clip (computer hassle) but have listened to it. Great job keep it up. I am another cooker jockey and just love cooking.

Colonel644
13-02-07, 12:59 AM
Awesome!!! cooking is one of those things that anyone can do and always fun for a crowd!!

Werepiper
13-02-07, 01:02 PM
Seeing that there seem to be a few 'talented' cooks/chefs/whatever around why don't we put together a load of recipes and create a Beag recipe book, with recipes from around the world, that could be sold to forumites, friends, rellies, neighbours, etc.

I would be willing to try and coordinate this and create a simple book to post out to those who wanted them, at peoples own expense with all profits made going to Ty Hafan.

Must at least get one recipe from yourself.

DM Bill
13-02-07, 03:52 PM
Fantastic idea Werepiper!!

I suggested the same thing in Area 51, but got nowhere with it, but just to show that I am interested, you can use my Butternut Squash Soup recipe.

Think you should start a new thread for this idea?

Scarlet O'Hair
13-02-07, 11:45 PM
Anyone have any idea if the chicken dish that was on the Colonel's video was to be cooked covered or uncovered???

I have it in the oven covered for now...I can't get the video anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Colonel644
14-02-07, 12:40 AM
Either way, if you want to have a nice brown skin on your bird take the top off the last 15 minutes

Scarlet O'Hair
14-02-07, 12:44 AM
That was the plan! Thanks Doll!

I just guessed at the ingredient proportions....

Colonel644
14-02-07, 12:59 AM
the reason I used that recipe that there are no measurments to it. It's one of those things you can't mess and change depending your tastes. If you like alot of white wine use alot, if you like a little use a little. same for the peach preserves, if you like more onion add more, like less use less, it's really something that you can't mess up

Scarlet O'Hair
14-02-07, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but if I like alot of white wine, I'd be better off to drink it right??? :wink:

I remember you saying that about the proportions on the video . Can't wait to try it! (just a couple of more minutes!)

Fred Fomm
14-02-07, 01:45 AM
Just a side remark -

yeah Scott, cooking is fun. Cleaning up after just isn't. My exwife said our kitchen resembled Dexter's lab after my adventures on the oven... we had the sorta 'I cook|U clean' deal. Last Saturday I had this weird (and excellent) Thai noodle made by my mate, and told his wife that as soon as I become an eccentric millionaire, my third decision will be hiring him as a chef.

The first two would be, of course, building a moat and getting myself an albino tiger.

Fredgie

Colonel644
14-02-07, 01:49 AM
Well that's why I've learned to not make a mess. At home I clean.

Fred Fomm
14-02-07, 03:27 AM
(...) At home I clean.

There was a brilliant sketch

called 'TV Macho' inside this old (80's) Brazilian TV programme. It dealt with the stereotypical macho latino and his daily struggle 'not to fall in pansiness' (sic). Part of it was the 'TV Macho and culinary tips', my favourite.

The thumbnail on the left brings the 'how to properly break an egg' tip; the one on the right is the end result: the kitchen a total mess, with a flaming burner and Luis Guimarães using the most important gadget in a macho's kitchen - the phone.

Fredgie

:Ceith:

Don Robertson
14-02-07, 05:59 AM
Rats, I can't see the video. What was the recipie ? Anything to do with food and cooking and you can count me in. I have some of my favorite recipies I'd be willing to share. My wife calls my cooking American eclectic comfort food. I'm willing to try a recipie from any region as long as it's GOOD. One of my favorite recipies that I don't get to do too often is my Shrimp and Smoke Salmon Chowder.

KatieMc
14-02-07, 06:03 AM
One of my favorite recipies that I don't get to do too often is my Shrimp and Smoke Salmon Chowder.

Ooh that sounds yum!! Will you share that one for Beag's recipe book?

Werepiper
14-02-07, 10:23 AM
Ooh that sounds yum!! Will you share that one for Beag's recipe book?
I agree , we want that one get it posted on the thread Pllleeeaaasssee, I love chowder.

Don Robertson
14-02-07, 06:20 PM
Ok, I'll get a few of my fave's together and post them. But isn't there a cook book in the works ? Or would it just be better to post recipies as regular threads.

scarhandpiper
05-03-07, 10:45 AM
I thought Werepiper was working on an electronic cooking . . . thing.