PDA

View Full Version : Bringing on tallented young players

wee_fee-Fee
12-02-07, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

I'm so excited. I have been teaching a young girl from when she was knee high the tenor drum and ever since I sat her down I knew she had it in her to be a good player. She could keep rhythm no problem and picked up the flourishing as quick as I showed her. She could probably show me a few things now. lol. She has only competed up to grade 3B. She is quite shy but I pushed her into competing solos and at the end of last year she won her first ever competition in the solos at Edzell out of 30 other competitors. I have now brought her up to Tayside to compete in grade 1 as I believe she has what it takes to be up against the big boys. She is only 15. It is such a great feeling to know that you have brought a youngster on. :bg:

Fee

janelleTG
12-02-07, 01:13 PM
Congratulations to both, your young student and yourself:kait:

wee_fee-Fee
12-02-07, 01:16 PM
Thanks. Makes you feel proud. Hopefully this the start of things for her. She is 110% dedicated to the artform.

Fee x

litldrummergirl
12-02-07, 02:32 PM
What a wonderful and satisifying accomplishment!!! There is nothing like being able to teach and that student taking off like a rocket!!
I on the other hand just started the tenor drum about 2 years ago and I am older of course. My daughter picks up the sticks and can flourish right away, what takes me weeks sometimes to do!! Yes young brains are like sponges! When my daughter was asked by another well accomplished tenor drummer what she was thinking while she was flourishing..... my daughter replied...cookies!! :cookie: Young ones don't seem to have all the weight of the day on their brains and makes it a wonderful learning ground.
Congratulations to you and your student!!! Keep swinging!!!

Dai Robb
12-02-07, 03:03 PM
Thanks. Makes you feel proud. Hopefully this the start of things for her. She is 110% dedicated to the artform.

Fee x
Well done Fiona, as most folks know I am 100% committed to encouraging Juniors to take up anything be it sport or the Pipes etc, Personally I would rather watch and listen to a Junior band than Grade One?? yep I know that will receive some adverse comments, but I honestly love to see the looks on their faces when they compete, the sheer dedication, and if they get a place the Joy, okay there is the downside when they lose, but like all youngsters, they are very resilient and soon bounce back.
I am sure this young girl will go on to greater things? I maybe get a chance to see her at the Worlds. well done again Fiona

dharron
12-02-07, 04:04 PM
Well done, Fiona!!! :drum1::drum1::drum1:

When my daughter was asked by another well accomplished tenor drummer what she was thinking while she was flourishing..... my daughter replied...cookies!!

Well that's obviously my problem, I'm usually thinking of either beer or women! Gotta start focusing on cookies!!!:cookie:

Robbie.Crow
12-02-07, 04:09 PM
hehe.. 15 yo girl.. tennor drummer.. lives in scotland.. drummer!!??

give her my number :bg:

anyway good on ya.. it'll be instructor and pupil together in the circle!

wee_fee-Fee
12-02-07, 04:52 PM
Cheers guys. I know what you mean Dai. The wee rug rats look so happy with themselves when they get mentioned in the prize list and its a great feeling. My favourite young up and coming band has to be St Thomas Episcopal. Great wee band.

Werepiper
12-02-07, 06:19 PM
I don't go to many comps but was at Dunbar last year where they have a few younger bands and they were great to watch.

Bashful
12-02-07, 06:37 PM
Congrats to you and your young drummer, Fee! :bananadancer:

I know that there is no better feeling than to see young people you have taught come along so quickly. The students I'm teaching right now are learning everything as soon as I teach it to them. It's a great accomplishment to teach and when the students are successful, it's an even better feeling.

Well done, Fee! Best of luck to you and your young talent in the Grade 1 circle this year!

Later,

B

Werepiper
12-02-07, 07:32 PM
It must be far easier and less frustrating than trying to bring on talentless old b*&%^$£$ like me.:rotf: :rotf: