PDA

View Full Version : WOW. My first band is slagging my current band!

Pete Walen
21-02-07, 05:42 PM
Yes indeed. A drummer now playing with the band I started with in pipe bands in 19... a long time ago... is slagging my current band on BDF. Ah, how institutional memory grows and develops over time.

Not going to respond there... just find it deeply, deeply amusing.

rpeitzsch
21-02-07, 05:52 PM
I saw that! Someone just called him on it too.

tartaniac
21-02-07, 06:39 PM
:vomit:
Sorry to hear about the slagging.

What is it about pipeband mentality that sometimes goes really out the window?

I've thought the pipeband subculture dysfunction would be a good piece of research. It's a bit different from other hobby subcultures -- kind of wacky in its own way. Is it because there is so much Scots blood involved?

Joke in my family is you ask a question and 17 different opinions, and that's because one of the three Scots present is too ticked off to respond.

But seriously... anyone else noticed?

I once saw a book title and wish I'd bought it but didn't since the title said it all. Why Do Christians Shoot Their Wounded. Being a Christian who has been caught in the crosshairs of others (ie, I have poor health because I don't pray right... there is sin in my life... I have not forgiven someone... ad nauseum), I knew what the title meant and felt the sense of irony that people who are trying to be kind can be pretty harsh.

With pipeband, the title would be more likeWhy Can't Pipebands Have More Fun. It's the reason we show up. It's the reason we hang out together. We love the music and our instruments and respect what it takes to do what we do -- especially when someone does it well. Sounds like it should be a wonderful, fun time for everyone.

Insights anyone?

phyx
21-02-07, 07:27 PM
We love the music and our instruments and respect what it takes to do what we do -- especially when someone does it well. Sounds like it should be a wonderful, fun time for everyone.

Great post!

Pete Walen
21-02-07, 07:37 PM
The funny thing is, her entire presumption is wrong, fictitous and such a distortion of what happened in her current band that it is not worth responding to. PipeFuzz is a piper with Windsor's grade 4 program... he was a tenor with City of Detroit when they won Best Bass at the Worlds...

I was amazed. Still am.

phyx
21-02-07, 07:47 PM
I'm still looking for the post...will read it when I find it

Robbie.Crow
21-02-07, 07:50 PM
Its in the side drumming forum!

phyx
21-02-07, 07:57 PM
There's only a few posts in there, but I didn't see anything too terrible--must've missed it.

piper_dancer
21-02-07, 11:31 PM
hmm
well I hope this slagging stops.

PowerBoozer007
22-02-07, 12:05 AM
Yea, I was kind of surprized to see Windsor being accused of poaching. Usually it's the Toronto bands that raid that area for their bands.

Most bands grow from imploding bands anyway, the Cleveland 87th and City of Detroit make up a majority of the Windsor band, so it's all good in the end, but a lot of travel for some.

Pete Walen
22-02-07, 02:02 PM
I was gobsmacked when I read that. The thing is, since Windsor "merged" with Ballineeden, they've pretty much always had an open door policy. Sometimes they've encouraged or suggested someone check out a practice (that's how I joined) but in general, it has been a fairly gentle process.

The thing that left me utterly amazed was how the complaint was about parade bands. The band the poster is in, for a long time had 1 part time drummer. He checked out my old band, Glendaloch, then tagged along to Windsor to play in the grade 4 program for a year. Now he plays with Ann Arbor PB - drives 2 hours from Grand Rapids to get there. Mind you - he took lessons from a lot of people - including going to the first three WinterStorm sessions where drumming was offered.

The competition bands have a flock of drummers - including the lower grade (4 and 5) bands - Ann Arbor, last I knew had 4 or 5 snares, Traverse City has 4 or 5 (although they don't compete much), Glen Erin has 5 or 6 for parades and 3 or 4 fro contests (again, they don't compete much). The new-comers on the competition block are Muskegon Police with 4 or 5 sides. The parade-only bands are struggling for drummers - Kalamazoo, White Pine (in Midland) and Grand Rapids & District have 1 or 2 snare drummers each. Mind you, the Shrine bands in Metro Detroit turn out plenty of drummers, as do some of the others - Michigan Scottish, and some whose names have changed and I can't remember them...

The message seems pretty clear - with the emphasis on competition in many school music programs, or psuedo-competition where you perform for a rating, not a ranking, it would appear that learning a new style from people who have a hard time playing together and don't know it is not a major turn-on for school-aged drummers these days.

I guess I just found it amazing that I could think of that many bands that were having no problem getting drummers - and they all compete at least two or three times a year. The ones that never do are struggling for both piping and drumming talent.

How is that my band's fault? :gah:

CBarr
22-02-07, 04:53 PM
Pete,
Dont let it bug you. I can assure everyone that Windsor Police is a top notch organization thats going to be around for alotta years to come. My 2 year stint there was great. I left only for personnal goals Im trying to achieve.
And for the record............I wasnt poached, I had to call to find out when the first practice was. Im mean sure, you have those beer tent talks where everyones like " You gotta come play next season" but thats every band.

Again, whoever started this goofy thread surely has no clue on peoples needs or wants. The bottom line for alotta people is they like to compete and if the band isnt competing well there going to find one that does.

Windsor Police is a class act, top notch organization. Bottom line.
Best of luck season Pete!

C Barr

Somerled
23-02-07, 06:33 AM
The only person that can be "poached" is the person that wants to be "poached".

PowerBoozer007
23-02-07, 06:57 AM
I'll have two poached pipers to go please:mitch: !

Bobby
23-02-07, 01:53 PM
you want some side drummer bacon to go with that?

PowerBoozer007
23-02-07, 07:19 PM
Yess and mashed bands too please!

Drummer_Punk
07-03-07, 08:07 PM
Chris Barr,

In reguards to your post, Class my friend. I was laughing my A$$ off when I read your brothers post. Does he take anything serious?

Ken

CBarr
07-03-07, 09:40 PM
Nope.... Hes pretty much a class clown. Some people might take him the wrong way however the ones that really know him knows hes clowning around 99% of the time.
Cheers, :Ceith:
C Barr

UpstatePiper
07-03-07, 09:47 PM
With pipeband, the title would be more likeWhy Can't Pipebands Have More Fun. It's the reason we show up. It's the reason we hang out together. We love the music and our instruments and respect what it takes to do what we do -- especially when someone does it well. Sounds like it should be a wonderful, fun time for everyone.

Insights anyone?

If it was my book, the title would probably be Why online Pipers are so much more fun to be around than online fiddlers.

:bananapiper: :drum1: :wine:

Bob

wjjagfan
07-03-07, 11:52 PM
Don't fiddle with a banana!
:bananapiper: :bananapiper: :bananapiper: :bananapiper: :bananapiper:
High scores for ensemble!!!