PDA

View Full Version : Bad Drummer Karma

Adam
30-03-06, 03:55 PM
I have been mean about drummers in the past, I've told all the usual drummer jokes, I have questioned their intelligence, if not their sanity, and other things I'm not going to repeat here. :jeeze:

Now my band have a severe shortage of drummers, and we are looking for a new lead tip. I have been reading about Buddhism, and have come to the conclusion that it is karma. For many years I have mocked drummers, and now I am experiencing a lack of them. I have created bad drummer karma in my life, (well, this life, ah dinnae ken aboot the next ane).

At first I enjoyed the novelty, there wis less drool to mop up after each do, for a start, but now I must admit I am missing my skin rattling pals. :puppydogeyes:

So, in an attempt to reverse my bad drummer karma, I'd like to apologize for my previous sarcastic comments about words like "drummer" and "musician" being used together without "no way near" being between them. I now realise that drummers are necessary to the harmonious balance of the pipe universe. Also, if I am good to drummers in this life, I might jist manage to avoid being reborn as one in my next life.........:bg:

Itchyknee
30-03-06, 04:00 PM
Min, you must be getting really desperate for drummers!

Adam
30-03-06, 04:20 PM
I am going to have faith, Itchy, and the cosmos will provide.

Then I will start work on Aberdeen regaining their 1983 European cup winner's status. :cool: Man U will experience very bad karma for takin' oor manager and captain. :devil:

Itchyknee
30-03-06, 04:50 PM
I think ye'll hae mair chance getting the Shotts drum corps to join your band en masse than Aberdeen winning anything!:puppydogeyes:

Dai Robb
30-03-06, 10:08 PM
I think ye'll hae mair chance getting the Shotts drum corps to join your band en masse than Aberdeen winning anything!:puppydogeyes:
Oh thats nasty, that is, dont they still play for that thing called the Northern Cup?? when only the two Dundees and Aberdeen play, plus maybe the likes of the Caley Thistle?/, they must stand a chance in that surely?/ By the way is Jimmy Calderwood still the Dons manager?? does anyone know?

Itchyknee
30-03-06, 10:30 PM
Dai, Jimmy is still the manager of the Dons. You're right though, the Northern Cup is better than nothing. Mind you Inverurie Locos are strong this year :)

Dai Robb
31-03-06, 11:18 AM
If you ever bump into Jimmy, tell him that you know Dave Robb, he actually played for my kids football team when he was 11 years old, I took him to Birmingham City, where he turned professional, I last met him when he was playing out in Holland.

Itchyknee
31-03-06, 04:35 PM
OK Dai, I doubt I'll bump into him though. We seem to move in different circles. Aberdeen had a good start this season but it tailed off towards the end of the year. A top 6 finish would be good. Bring on ICT!!!

tartaniac
01-04-06, 08:08 AM
Don't worry, Tcheu...

All the drummers I know are good enough sports and loose enough that they take that stuff with a grain of barley. (Liquid prefered, of course.)

I wrote this poem once about how it's a dance. The best bands know it's a dance and they do it well. The actually (!PAUSE FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT!) PRACTICE together -- the drums and pipers together. Amazing.

And don't worry -- for every joke that you have made about drummers, we have made them about pipers. But it's the heart and matter of intention. Sounds like now you can make a joke and have it be a joke with no barb.

Here's that poem... (Dai... where is it???)

The drums are bone;
The pipes the flesh.
The pipes can drone;
The drums, refresh.

Without the drums
Tunes float away,
A stream of notes
That skirl and brae.

Tis drums that play
Both soft and loud.
Tis drums that ground
Tunes often proud.

Drum hearts beat strong.
Bass leads the way
And tenors keep
That Scottish sway.

Sides can excite
And stir the soul.
But every heart
The beats console.

Pipes raise the tune.
Drums pulse of life.
Betrothed through time,
Husband and wife.

--------------------
Catherine Wilson :pint:

Adam
01-04-06, 10:40 AM
Your poem is really quite beautiful Catherine, it has even touched a hardened old cynic like me. :puppydogeyes: Thank you for sharing it.

Dai Robb
01-04-06, 03:50 PM
Bravo, Bravo !! Excellent stuff Cat, you definately have been hiding your bushell under a light up till now have'nt you?

tartaniac
02-04-06, 10:43 AM
Thank you.

Here's another way I think of the relationship between the pipes and drums: Gary Larson's famous cartoon:

Pipes with no drums = chickens with no bones = sloppy ranch

Itchyknee
03-04-06, 10:20 PM
Gotta love Larson. His cartoons appeared daily in the Aberdeen Press & Journal in the 90's.

tartaniac
03-04-06, 11:57 PM
I know. Some of the finest reading of my entire life. Miss him like crazy.

SancheA
22-06-06, 05:18 PM
Wow...your the only piper in the world that understands drummers..all pipers should honour and fear drummers:yesmaster: LOL

Dai Robb
22-06-06, 06:38 PM
Oops looks like this old box is about to be thrown open again, folks, aka: the annual slanging match between Pipers and drummers.