PDA

View Full Version : MacLellan bagpipes

selpiper
21-03-07, 12:22 PM
Hi,

Does anybody here on the forums play a set of MacLellan cocobolo drones?
I have the possibility of buying a used set.

The drones should sound very good, especially the bass drone.

Thanks,
Søren.

phyx
21-03-07, 01:42 PM
If I didn't have Gibsons, I'd probably go with a set. :bgt:

A. Shack
21-03-07, 02:03 PM
Hey Soren,

I know Shawn Downs (used to post here...whatever happened to him?) plays a set of MacLellans now. He posts at Dunsire's under the name ABC_piper.

Give him a shout.

Al

redneck
21-03-07, 08:14 PM
Hi,

Thanks,
Søren.

What's wrong wi yer Fletchers m8?.

PowerBoozer007
21-03-07, 10:35 PM
I've only heard one set, very loud!

Piper Mac
22-03-07, 02:04 AM
I think Roddy based his designs on an early Henderson's maybe 1880. Which would have been under Donald Henderson, or very early Peter Henderson. I like the Henderson sound so I give Maclellan's a thumbs up also. I am not positive on the dating, memory isn't what it used to be...
:bgt:

Scarlet O'Hair
22-03-07, 02:18 AM
You might want to contact Ringo Bowen. He's on our site as well as BDF. He knows Roddy's pipes quite well. I nearly had a set made for me a few years ago,but decided to stick with my Lawries instead.

Somerled
22-03-07, 04:01 AM
MacLellans are lovely pipes -- cocobolo wood at a dash of mellowness. Rather then loud -- I would say bold sounding drones that blend terrifically well together. YOu can hear some sound clips on Roddy MacLellans website to hear for yourself. I personally love these pipes.
Used sets are hard to come by --- once in a while you see a set. There is a longish wait for a set of pipes... mine took some 7 months... but it was well worth the wait. Cococbolo wood is a beautiful color wood that only get better over time.:kait:

selpiper
22-03-07, 10:01 AM
Redneck,

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Fletchers - they serve me very well. They sound absolutely amazing (you have heard them yourself).

Søren.

Piper Mac
22-03-07, 10:41 AM
he also just came out recently with a new design on his chanters, really great sound....

Werepiper
22-03-07, 12:43 PM
Hi,

Thanks,
Søren.

Yes Me, I do

I have a set I bought new last year - a present to me.

Cocobolo with chalice tops, bronze with sterling silver sea dragons on the ferrules with horn mounts. Currently teamed up with a full Ross system, alternate between their own big band chanter and williams reed or a Williams chanter and reed, with Omega drone reeds. (yes I know, redneck, but I like them)

I love them. They have a fabulous mellow tone and my PM steals them everytime I take them in to band for a blow. I don't use them in the band but just for my own personal pleasure. I love the overall balance of them and wouldn't say they were loud.

I certainly don't regret getting them.

Bobby
22-03-07, 02:25 PM
I've only heard 1 or 2 blackwood sets. Those were quite loud/bold to my ear. I could not get past what I consider the weird exterior profiling ( but that's just me). Sounds like werepiper's set is quite unique and nice to look at. Post up a picture of them sometime so we can all see them.

selpiper
26-03-07, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the comments.

I will post some comments when I have received them and tried them.

Søren.

Werepiper
26-03-07, 12:52 PM
I will post a picture of mine when I take one

PowerBoozer007
30-03-07, 05:46 PM
The pipes are modeled after a real old design and resemble a collection of bowling pins in my mind. Very unique pipe!

Reid
30-03-07, 07:49 PM
The pipes are modeled after a real old design and resemble a collection of bowling pins in my mind. Very unique pipe!

ROTLMAO

Reid
30-03-07, 07:50 PM

John, tell me what you really think.
LOL

Bobby
30-03-07, 07:55 PM
he's not alone....they remind me of bowling pins too.

Reid
30-03-07, 10:20 PM
he's not alone....they remind me of bowling pins too.

Maybe I'll stick with my McCallums then.

Piper06
31-03-07, 04:40 AM
MacLellan's are made about 6 hours away from me. If I ever order them, I can go down and bug them until they are done. :rotf:

I like the look of them, and they also sound great. I haven't made up my mind on my "dream" pipes yet. :Ceith:

phyx
02-04-07, 02:16 PM
I think they're the best looking pipes on the market, bar none. All other pipes look the same--unless you opt for chalice top models that some makers are kind enough to provide. :bgt:

Bobby
02-04-07, 02:25 PM
different strokes for different folks.
It'd be a boring world if we all like exactly the same things.

Reid
02-04-07, 04:59 PM
You can be the judge. Have a look

redneck
02-04-07, 07:30 PM
If they sound half as gid as they look they'd do me.:tommy: :Ceith: :Ceith:

Bobby
02-04-07, 07:58 PM
My pipes before: http://www.davidmarshallsilverworks.com/index.php?set_albumName=album18&id=aap&option=com_gallery&Itemid=3&include=view_photo.php

My pipes after: http://www.davidmarshallsilverworks.com/index.php?set_albumName=album18&id=aca&option=com_gallery&Itemid=3&include=view_photo.php

1909 Macrae's.:bgt:

As a dealer, I get to see alot of really nice pipes go through my hands. For me, I find that it's now small details in the exterior profiling and finishing that attract my attention most. A number of modern manufacturers have the knowledge and machinery necessary to turn out a decent product. Personally I consider 3 manufacturers as the top ones in my book, with a couple others a close second (mostly because I prefer a particular kind of sound over some others).

Reid
02-04-07, 09:04 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!

PowerBoozer007
02-04-07, 11:07 PM
Ach, all that glitter does nae impress anybody!

You want to really impress people, take an old beat up set of pipes and make them sound like gold.

Bobby
03-04-07, 01:53 PM
They do sound like gold:woohoo: :bgt:

Reid
03-04-07, 04:52 PM
Ach, all that glitter does nae impress anybody!

You want to really impress people, take an old beat up set of pipes and make them sound like gold.

I like shinny stuff, that's why I shaved my head. A little turtle wax and presto!!!

Werepiper
03-04-07, 09:21 PM
Im with you Reid LOL

selpiper
04-04-07, 09:44 AM
So Bobby,

Which bagpipe manufacturers are in the top of your book? And which come in as close seconds?

Sometimes it's easier to mention which bagpipe makers are at the bottom of ones book, but this is probably not appropriate here. At least one comes to my mind.

I think that the majority of the 30+ modern bagpipe makers turn a very good set of pipes, but as you say, it's up to preference in sound of the drones and chanter.

Søren.

Bobby
04-04-07, 02:10 PM
That discussion is best left off-line Soren.:whistle:

selpiper
04-04-07, 02:18 PM
Yes, I agree, but I had to give it a try.
:bolt:

Bobby
04-04-07, 03:30 PM
Lots of factors to be considered, when declaring any brand to be in my top 3 or bottom 3 for that matter. Naming names could get me into trouble.

RainyDayPiper
21-09-07, 08:55 AM
I will post a picture of mine when I take one

Ahem.

SDowns
24-09-07, 02:35 PM
I play a set of cocobolo MacLellans and I was very hesitant to play cocobolo at first. However, I am very impressed with not only the warmth and boldness of the tone, but the unique look.

I had been looking for a set ever since hearing a piper with the Charlotte Fire Department band playing them.

There was some discussion about Macs at the other place and, if I remember correctly, Ringo and others chimed in...with positive comments.

Best wishes,
Shawn

texaspiper1987
07-10-07, 09:03 PM
Just received a set as a surprise gift last night.

It's a wonderful bagpipe. Warm and mellow but at the same time powerful and with good volume. Wow.

Plus the cocobolo wood has a beautiful color to it ;)

Don Robertson
08-10-07, 05:27 PM
any pictures of your pipes LG ?

texaspiper1987
08-10-07, 08:01 PM
Wish I did, but my sister has my camera at the moment and won't be returning it until she gets off her mission in the spring of next year.

I've got some pics of the individual parts (from Roddy's site) in the "Important Announcement" forum. It's full mounted in imitation horn with engraved bronze slides. Full combed and beaded chalice top bagpipe.

redneck
12-10-07, 04:49 PM
Naming names could get me into trouble.

Don't see why?, it's just YOUR opinion. Nothing wrong in giving an honest opinion on any product, so long as it's not slanderous.

There's one sure thing, I'd have no reservations in voicing an honest opinion on any bag piping product which I thought was good, bad or indifferent.

The thing is even if it's bad it's your opinion/preferance.

Far too much censorship fer my liking.

Freedom of speech comes to mind here, if ya like it say so, if ya don't say you prefer another make over it because........., what's wrong wi that?.

:Ceith: :tommy:

redneck
12-10-07, 04:50 PM
That discussion is best left off-line Soren.:whistle:

Why? :gah: :gah: :gah:

true_blue_piper
12-10-07, 04:52 PM
exactly.....why ?

Bobby
12-10-07, 05:13 PM
I guess neither one of you understood the humour in the discussion between Soren and myself. we have talked often in the past and it's an inside joke I'm afraid.

redneck
12-10-07, 05:37 PM
Point taken, however a did raise a few valid points in my above but one post.

Sometimes places like this take things a tad too serious, after all it's only a forum, where people can ( hopefully ) state there opinions about their experiences concerning various products.

:Ceith: :tommy:

Bobby
12-10-07, 05:53 PM
I don't see anyone being censored in this discussion?

Pipers often want to talk in absolutes; however the world is never absolute. Tastes, and opinions, often change with time and experience. Any pipe maker that has a bad day, month, year , one year can have a great one the next.

I like a number of brands for different reasons. All of them display different physical and tonal characteristics and I'd be hard pressed to decide if one was distinctly better than the other.

I presently carry 4 different brands of bagpipe through my business. Each produces a distinctly different sound envelope and has different physical characteristics. All are fine instruments in my opinion; each for different reasons. I have frequently thought about carrying fewer brands and also about carrying more, but those decisions have to be mitigated by the financial considerations of a business.

Soren and I have an inside joke that we amuse ourselves with. The emoticons should have indicated that, but I guess they didn't. That's all.

Stormy
12-10-07, 06:46 PM
I presently carry 4 different brands of bagpipe through my business. Each produces a distinctly different sound envelope and has different physical characteristics. All are fine instruments in my opinion; each for different reasons. I have frequently thought about carrying fewer brands and also about carrying more, but those decisions have to be mitigated by the financial considerations of a business.

Soren and I have an inside joke that we amuse ourselves with. The emoticons should have indicated that, but I guess they didn't. That's all.

Is it possible for you to name these brands of pipes and give an honest opinion of each, you must do that when selling?
No need to give a 1,2 or 3 rating, just your opinion of the wares you sell.

If this is a public forum, why get involved in private jokes in what is supposed to be a serious discussion area?

Bobby
12-10-07, 07:13 PM
I didn't start the joke, but I did attempt to finish it. others seem to want to keep bringing it up.

I miscounted...I have 5 brands . Anyone visiting my website can see the brands, but I will list them here for you:

Strathmore, Naill, Gibson, McCallum, Dunbar.
Each produces a distinctly different type of sound.

Dunbar - classic 1940's/ 50's Henderson style of look and sound in my opinion - that's when he worked for henderson.
Naill - starck trained - influenced by Henderson and Starck (to my ear adn eye), not as much bass as henderson
McCallum - lawrie-esque in my opinion - stronger tenors, softer than typical henderson
Gibson - a copy of Colin MacLellans Macdougalls - softer than Henderson , stronger than Lawrie-even blend of tenor and bass - rich harmonic blend
Strathmore - overall -stronger volume than Naill - very nice blend of tenor and bass!

Gibson - very deep crisp clean combing and beading - outstanding attention to detail - distinctive projecting mounts, Macdougall-esque drone tops, nice proportions in profile

McCallum - nice deep wood colour, shallower combing and beading than most- nice attention to adornments, "different" projecting mounts available, Lawrie style drone tops - attractive price point for many buyers.

Strathmore - crisp clean combing and beading, nice profile of drone bottom sections - nicely curved, very good wood colour - not sure what projecting mounts they are styled after but nicely refined. Naill/Starck type of drone top.

Naill - nice attention to detail in profile. nicely combed and beaded. Attractive proportions on drone tops, nice dark wood colour, combing and beading not as deep as some but still sufficiently deep.

Dunbar: Classic Henderson profile. first maker to introduce polypenco and maple I believe? nice dark wood colour, clean combing and beading white polypenco mounts stronger than acrylic of others. They now offer engraved artificial ivory mounts - very distinctive.

I couldn't begin to fully describe everything I have thought of over the years about each of these but you get a general idea( I hope) .

as I've said before, I like the all for different reasons. My current 2 favourites are Strathmore and Gibson if you must have a name.

Thre are brands that I don't care much for, based either on aesthetics or sound preference, but I don't find negative comments to be productive or helpful.

You asked for my personal opinion...I have given it.

....not to be considered as an advertisement.

Stormy
12-10-07, 08:23 PM
Wasn't that hard, was it??

Thanks for the retailer point of view.

Bobby
12-10-07, 08:25 PM
Wasn't that hard, was it??

Thanks for the retailer point of view.

I thought it was my personal opinion ??:bg: :dunno:

Reid
15-10-07, 03:19 PM

Sometimes you just can't win. Thanks for posting Bobby.

Bobby
16-10-07, 02:53 PM

I didn't want what I say to be construed as an advert, which is why I don't get involved in these kinds of questions. I do have personal opinions on them, and I'm passionate about bagpipes as you can probably guess, but I also happen to be a retailer. I just don't want one fact to overshadow the other, and as I said, I prefer not to speak negatively about things. Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean someone else won't. I will speak up on false or incomplete information or to ask for more info if it interests me.

Right now...I'm experimenting with Strathmore drones and some different reeds (when I can find time) to see how they sound. So far I've tried Henderson Harmonic's and Crozier carbon fiber reeds. the Croziers produce a bit bolder tenor sound in these pipes to my ear. Both are quite nice...just slightly different.