PDA

View Full Version : Uniform

EireDrums
15-04-07, 12:02 PM
Hello All

Wondering what uniforms you wear when you are out piping/drumming!

We have two, the No1, which is the very smart one used for St Patricks Day and special occasions.

The No2 which is the white shirt, tie and blazer - worn on most occasions when we are out.

I am still waiting on my drum strap - at the moment I have the plain one. But I am waiting on the belt style one (as shown in picture)

I've also included a picture of everyone together when we were on parade for St Patricks Day 2007 in County Mayo Ireland.

Would be nice to see some pictures posted up of everyone with their Uniform/s so we can compare! ~ I hope I have posted this in the correct area!

Cheers!

Dai Robb
15-04-07, 12:21 PM
I would not worry about posting in the wrong placed?/ if so the Mods will do the neccessary, they are a caring bunch .Thanks for the photos excellent, I see you have some Juniors also? great to see,

Vikki
15-04-07, 01:13 PM
not sure its the best place for it, but a bit early for me to be thinking where's better. lol. no worries bout it!!

i just compete in what you call your number 2. being a DM, it's very strict about the uniform for competitions, loose a point if your socks arent perfectly level! im not so keen on posting any pics of myself though. lol but maybe i might edit one in later

shock horror... miracles may never cease but 1 pic added. dunoon 2006 taken during dress. im 2nd from left.

and double shock. pic from Malahide 2007. after gettin half drenched in the march past hence the slightly dodgy hair. lol this pic obv in my new SFU uniform :bg:

redneck
15-04-07, 01:26 PM
??????? Edit one in later ?............ya mean ya can correct yer faulty dress?..........:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :tommy: :bolt:

scarhandpiper
15-04-07, 01:36 PM
Great pics! Love the uniform!
(anything but red, I say!!)

(guess what color our uniform is!)

(Right!)

Vikki
15-04-07, 02:36 PM
ha ha ha. redneck, i'll have you know i usually get the full 20 for dress. would like to see how perfect your uniform is!! lol

scarhandpiper
16-04-07, 12:57 AM
You look very good, Vikki. Not a pin out of place!

dharron
16-04-07, 06:41 AM
shock horror... miracles may never cease but 1 pic added. dunoon 2006 taken during dress. im 2nd from left.
Shock and horror don't begin to express it. OMG, Vikki voluntarily posted a pic of herself...:rotf:

EireDrums
16-04-07, 09:37 AM
Come on folks, lets see more uniforms!

Werepiper
16-04-07, 12:56 PM
OK here's one of me on Grosmont Station, North Yorkshire after our band had spent the day travelling up and down the line on the refurbished/restored Sir Nigel Gressley, sister train to the Mallard.

EireDrums
16-04-07, 01:46 PM
OK here's one of me on Grosmont Station, North Yorkshire after our band had spent the day travelling up and down the line on the refurbished/restored Sir Nigel Gressley, sister train to the Mallard.

Fab picture Werepiper!!! VERY smart indeed. Your jacket is similar to our no1 - have you got another uniform that you wear? Or is that uniform for all occasions - do you find the jacket very warm?

Werepiper
16-04-07, 01:51 PM
Fab picture Werepiper!!! VERY smart indeed. Your jacket is similar to our no1 - have you got another uniform that you wear? Or is that uniform for all occasions - do you find the jacket very warm?

We tend to wear that a lot and yes it gets very warm in the summer. We do occassionally wear day wear but not very often. I also have a WW11 Black Watch uniform that I wear sometimes (re-enactment stuff or when I play at a local restored POW camp)

EireDrums
16-04-07, 03:11 PM
We tend to wear that a lot and yes it gets very warm in the summer. We do occassionally wear day wear but not very often. I also have a WW11 Black Watch uniform that I wear sometimes (re-enactment stuff or when I play at a local restored POW camp)

What is your day wear?

Vikki
16-04-07, 03:13 PM
like i said, miracles will never cease. lol

rather u than me with that uniform were. what i wear is bad enough in warm weather... us DMs have to compete with jacket n all which isnt good when its warm

Piper06
16-04-07, 04:05 PM
Okay here are two of me.

This is our warm weather look

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/54duncan/Hartwell-1.jpg

The second is when it gets colder.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/54duncan/StoneMountain2006001.jpg

Werepiper
16-04-07, 04:09 PM
What is your day wear?

White shirt, tie, waistcoat and jacket, leather sporran, ecru hose with popcorn tops

litldrummergirl
16-04-07, 06:13 PM
My pic at the left says it all for now, although we are looking into getting vests, which I think looks sharp. (We are trying to pull away from the military look since we are a traditional Scottish band) :drum:

Dai Robb
16-04-07, 06:32 PM
not sure its the best place for it, but a bit early for me to be thinking where's better. lol. no worries bout it!!

i just compete in what you call your number 2. being a DM, it's very strict about the uniform for competitions, loose a point if your socks arent perfectly level! im not so keen on posting any pics of myself though. lol but maybe i might edit one in later

And a fine figure of a DM you are Vikki,

scarhandpiper
16-04-07, 07:00 PM
Were, are you building up your sheep herd (I see a few in the background) to compete with Dai??

The uniforms look very good!!

Itchyknee
16-04-07, 07:40 PM
Here's a few more....

Robbie.Crow
16-04-07, 07:50 PM
the shirt look.... (http://www.robbiecrow.ultra-boards.net/images/linlithgow%202.JPG)

The jacket look.... (http://www.robbiecrow.ultra-boards.net/images/linlithgow%202.JPG)

The DM look.... (http://www.robbiecrow.ultra-boards.net/images/number%201's%201%20mace.jpg)

jjpiper
16-04-07, 08:01 PM
I can't believe someone didn't think of this before. Great Idea! Here are some from SDPD.

1. Full band on parade for Rememberance Day (Chelmsford Legion) 2006 (second row from the left is cadets not attached to our band.)

2. Me in colour guard uniform.

3. New PM in casual on a hot day at Anderson Farm with no jacket or glen or tie.

No military doublets, feather bonnets, or spats.

redneck
16-04-07, 08:50 PM
ha ha ha. redneck, i'll have you know i usually get the full 20 for dress. would like to see how perfect your uniform is!! lol

Well as commanders piper in the army fer 9 odd years I think it would have to be pretty up da scratch. Brigader Graham ( ex Gordon Highlanders) would expect 100 out of 100 not 20....lol :Ceith: :tommy:

DM Bill
16-04-07, 08:58 PM
http://www.scarboroughpipeband.ca/pictures/IMG_0458.jpg

Now, THIS TIME, Robbie, Stay 'way!

Scarborough Pipes & Drums, in MacLean of Duart tartan, at the Phelps Sauerkraut Festival, last summer.

Dai Robb
16-04-07, 10:46 PM
My God !!! last time I saw such a fearsome looking guy, I was a raw recruit just called up for National Service way back early 1954. LOL

Robbie.Crow
17-04-07, 12:17 PM
Now, THIS TIME, Robbie, Stay 'way!

Scarborough Pipes & Drums, in MacLean of Duart tartan, at the Phelps Sauerkraut Festival, last summer.

Dont worry.. ill stay away!

you could have downsized the image though :bg:

scarhandpiper
17-04-07, 01:40 PM
It's amazing how much a kilt can improve one's looks.

No offense intended, now . . . Just y'all look so good in yer uniforms!

DM Bill
17-04-07, 02:28 PM
Fearsome? Yes, that's our PM, I'm a pussycat!

I know I should have sized it down, but it is on our website that way, and I don't have acces to any other site that could host a smailer-sized image... :dunno:

redneck
17-04-07, 10:57 PM
Scarborough Pipes & Drums, in MacLean of Duart tartan, at the Phelps Sauerkraut Festival, last summer.[/quote]

There's no way in this wide world that that's MacLean of Duart m8, it's my family tartan 'n I've been wearing it for near 40yrs that looks nothing like it.

Could be a poor photo/colour shot, if it is my humblest apologies, but from the colour hues on my computer it's no a MacLean of Duart. The pattern is all wrong fer a start.:Ceith: :Ceith: :tommy:

redneck
17-04-07, 11:00 PM
This is the tartan.....................:vik: :vik: :vik: :Ceith: :tommy:

Scotty_Ballylough
17-04-07, 11:24 PM

There's no way in this wide world that that's MacLean of Duart m8, it's my family tartan 'n I've been wearing it for near 40yrs that looks nothing like it.
[/QUOTE]

oh the rednecks gettin touchy mate...better stop the noo afor he jumps through the screen and bottles ye lol :vik: :vik: :vik:

Vikki
18-04-07, 01:01 AM
had another look at the pic there and i have to disagree redneck. looks very like the mclean of duart my first band had. there's a few different dyes/patterns of it, but it does look like 1 of them to me

:bolt:

SancheA
18-04-07, 01:25 AM
It's like St.Patties day 24/7 with that uniform!lol..good looking though!.

true_blue_piper
18-04-07, 02:06 AM
MacLean of Duart or not MacLean of Duart ?

With the exception of the P/M who is wearing a different tartan, I'd say it may well be the MacLean of Duart, possibly in weathered colours.

However, even if you look at the MacLean of Duart in modern colours, I have three kilts in that tartan in the band store, the tartan being made by different weavers and the sett and colours are quite different.

One has two thin blue stripes running through the pattern, another has one heavy and prominent blue stripe.

janelleTG
18-04-07, 07:58 AM
MacLean of Duart or not MacLean of Duart ?

With the exception of the P/M who is wearing a different tartan, I'd say it may well be the MacLean of Duart, possibly in weathered colours.

However, even if you look at the MacLean of Duart in modern colours, I have three kilts in that tartan in the band store, the tartan being made by different weavers and the sett and colours are quite different.

One has two thin blue stripes running through the pattern, another has one heavy and prominent blue stripe.

I agree with True.

My family is McLean of Duart also and I too have been wearing it for years and I have no doubt that Bills kilt is McLean, I think the photos and the weavers make the difference. A look at Scarboroughs Web page and it's clearly McLean of Duart tartan.

Though I have to admit my preferance is the Mclean Hunting LOL

true_blue_piper
18-04-07, 08:01 AM
Though I have to admit my preferance is the Mclean Hunting LOL[/QUOTE]

me thinks you've been looking at photos of Big Tam too much LOL

janelleTG
18-04-07, 08:18 AM
This is the competition band I play tenor with. I am wearing the McLean of Duart.
Like Bills it shows a lot of white in the photo , in real life it doesn't look like that.

Please no comments about the shirts for a comp band, pleassssse don't even get me started.

Sorry about the size, it's my first try at posting an image and it won't resize LOL

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/jennymacballard/QCPB2007Competition.jpg

true_blue_piper
18-04-07, 10:05 AM
look more like women's blouses to me LOL

janelleTG
18-04-07, 11:10 AM
look more like women's blouses to me LOL

You just couldn't resist, could you? LOL

The 'womans blouse' is fine and we get a lot of comments of how nice they look, however I'm a believer in atleast a long sleeve shirt, tie and vest for competition.

Piper06
18-04-07, 11:26 AM
You just couldn't resist, could you? LOL

The 'womans blouse' is fine and we get a lot of comments of how nice they look, however I'm a believer in at least a long sleeve shirt, tie and vest for competition.

We also have a white shirt we wear. Quite interesting on a rainy day for the female members of the band. Plus with the red Georgia clay soil, it is bad enough to clean those white spats, much less the shirts after a day in a field playing at the games. :gah:

scarhandpiper
18-04-07, 01:24 PM
I wish WE had a circle painted on the ground for us to make sure we "circle up" instead of "polygon up". It would save a lot of guesswork.

janelleTG
18-04-07, 03:07 PM
I wish WE had a circle painted on the ground for us to make sure we "circle up" instead of "polygon up". It would save a lot of guesswork.

:rotf: Even with the circle Scar, I still messed up, as you can see. I was concentrating on not following the piper in front of me and left myself stranded away from the snares. It was better the next time in.

DM Bill
18-04-07, 05:24 PM
Redneck.
First, the kilts are definitely "weathered" -- even if the tartan isn't! May account for some of the dye-screpancy.
They are MacLean of Duart -- even the PM's, though his is of a different sett - with much darker green than in the rest of the band's kilts. At one point we had difficulty getting the fabric, and PM's kilt was a one-off from a different mill which said it had the tartan available.
I have looked at the Shotts & Dykehead kilts, which is also, apparently MacLean of Duart, and they seem identical, with that exception noted.

Bobby
18-04-07, 06:01 PM
I think Shotts used to wear the "ancient" MacLean of Duart did they not? I have a kilt in that tartan and it has an orange-ish hue to it.

litldrummergirl
18-04-07, 07:46 PM
I can't believe someone didn't think of this before. Great Idea! Here are some from SDPD.

1. Full band on parade for Rememberance Day (Chelmsford Legion) 2006 (second row from the left is cadets not attached to our band.)

2. Me in colour guard uniform.

3. New PM in casual on a hot day at Anderson Farm with no jacket or glen or tie.

No military doublets, feather bonnets, or spats.
Thanks for the pic of my honey!!! I have not seen this one..and a better one at that, sure beats the one in the Newspaper were they had the camera practically up his nose!!!

dharron
19-04-07, 12:08 AM
I'm finally getting around to uploading pics of our new uniforms, which we'll begin wearing as soon as we get the shirts, sometime next week. The shirts and some other items are being provided by our new sponsor, 100 Pipers, just in time for our South American Gathering in just over a week's time.

The A uniform with the white shirt is similar to what we've been wearing, but now with the sponsor's logo on the shirt. The khaki B uniform is for more casual wear, and that's the one we'll be performing in next week. I have no idea who the model is, but he sure isn't a band member... yet. The only difference from the pictures is that the for some :dunno:reason :bg: we no longer need to wear a white tee shirt shown under the khaki shirt.

true_blue_piper
19-04-07, 03:11 AM
The only difference from the pictures is that the for some :dunno:reason :bg: we no longer need to wear a white tee shirt shown under the khaki shirt.[/QUOTE]

"having replaced the tee shirt with a lacy, silk, pink camisole......."

???

Werepiper
19-04-07, 11:55 AM
"having replaced the tee shirt with a lacy, silk, pink camisole......."

???

Now that would be a sight to see :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Dai Robb
19-04-07, 12:45 PM
Or not, as the case may be? LOL

dharron
19-04-07, 04:20 PM
Or not, as the case may be? LOL
Good call, Dai!!

Actually, we decided that although the silk was soooo smooth and slinky, the pink clashed badly with the khaki. We experimented with a few other colours before finally settling on basic, sexy black... for next year's uniform as we couldn't get enough for everyone in time for the Gathering.:bg:

EireDrums
19-04-07, 06:05 PM
Some great looking uniforms everyone. I have noticed they are mostly red tartan....... Anyone wear blue or green?

KatieMc
19-04-07, 06:07 PM
Some great looking uniforms everyone. I have noticed they are mostly red tartan....... Anyone wear blue or green?

Ours are blue and green, but I'm not kilted yet so don't have a pic... you can see plenty at our website though, www.fatherofwaters.com.

KatieMc
19-04-07, 06:08 PM
Oh, and in my avatar! :bg:

Bobby
19-04-07, 06:41 PM
This is our PM in #1 dress
http://www.mccarthyhighland.com/Other%20Images/clothing/Pipemajor06.jpg

EireDrums
19-04-07, 06:45 PM
This is our PM in #1 dress
http://www.mccarthyhighland.com/Other%20Images/clothing/Pipemajor06.jpg

Wow fantastic colours! Reminds me of a pea****

Vikki
19-04-07, 07:06 PM
i was competing in anc. macdonald of clan ranald last year which was blue/green. but back to the red(ish) this year (anc clan fraser)

redneck
19-04-07, 10:26 PM
I think Shotts used to wear the "ancient" MacLean of Duart did they not? I have a kilt in that tartan and it has an orange-ish hue to it.

Correct, same as we ( Robert Armstrong Memorial ( RAMS) ) did.

redneck
19-04-07, 10:31 PM
I agree with True.

My family is McLean of Duart also and I too have been wearing it for years and I have no doubt that Bills kilt is McLean, I think the photos and the weavers make the difference. A look at Scarboroughs Web page and it's clearly McLean of Duart tartan.

Though I have to admit my preferance is the Mclean Hunting LOL

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Did that start the ball rollin' er what???????????:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: HOOK LINE 'N SINKER............:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :tommy:

tankiedrummie
21-04-07, 10:40 AM
Can`t figure out how to post pictures, feeling a bit daft, any help.

Itchyknee
21-04-07, 10:54 AM
Tankie. When you click on "reply to post" there should be a bit saying "manage attachments". You will need to scoll down to see this. You can upload from your computer using this. You can also upload from a website if you have the photos on the web already.

Hope this helps.

:kait:

tankiedrummie
21-04-07, 11:11 AM
A "confusion" of Drum Majors from last years Basel Tattoo in Switzerland,Left to Right, George Albus ( RBL Amsterdam ), Graham ?( Queen Victoria School ), Me, Peter Gies ( Gordon Highlanders Memorial, Germany ), Fredi Frauwaller ( Dalhousie Pipe Band, Basel ) Never drink 5 of Fredi`s home made schnapps before you go on parade. The second picture is a Pipe Major even I wouldn`t have a go at with a few whiskeys in me.

Robbie.Crow
21-04-07, 11:32 AM
Nice photos tankie

That PM is TALLLLLLLL

Dai Robb
21-04-07, 12:26 PM
Blimey, he is a big lad?, At least he would find out it was raining before anyone else LOL

tankiedrummie
21-04-07, 01:05 PM
He was good for clearing the tattoo bar at the end of the night. :rc:

Itchyknee
21-04-07, 05:45 PM
The second picture is a Pipe Major even I wouldn`t have a go at with a few whiskeys in me.

He certainly ate his porridge when he was a nipper!

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

tankiedrummie
21-04-07, 06:19 PM
I will stick some more pics in later on if anyone is interested??heres a few for a start.
1st "Top Secret" as close as you could get
2nd Massed Pipes and Drums
3rd My good pal George Albus from Amsterdam RBL, trying to walk in a straight line after Fredy`s Schnaaps
4th Me trying to remember what to do next ( see ref to Fredy`s schnaaps )
Hope you enjoy them, please stick some of yours on or do we have to start a new thread.

Drumming g33k
05-05-07, 12:35 AM
Great pics! Love the uniform!
(anything but red, I say!!)

(guess what color our uniform is!)

(Right!)

Well almost all the army regiments wera red tunics...

Drumming g33k
05-05-07, 12:38 AM
:tap: A "confusion" of Drum Majors from last years Basel Tattoo in Switzerland,Left to Right, George Albus ( RBL Amsterdam ), Graham ?( Queen Victoria School ), Me, Peter Gies ( Gordon Highlanders Memorial, Germany ), Fredi Frauwaller ( Dalhousie Pipe Band, Basel ) Never drink 5 of Fredi`s home made schnapps before you go on parade. The second picture is a Pipe Major even I wouldn`t have a go at with a few whiskeys in me.

Why is everyone wearing the Bonnet ( and kilt ) exept the DM on the left?

tankiedrummie
05-05-07, 04:20 PM
Hi. I think it is to do with Lowland and Highland Regiments in the British Army.
Regiments like the Highlanders, Argyles etc are highland regiments where as KOSB, Royal Scots are lowland regiments. I think George `s uniform is Royal Scots so therefore no feather bonnet or kilt.
Basically highland regiments DMs wear bonnets and kilts and lowland regiments don`t, unless anyone out there has a better idea. cheers

tankiedrummie
12-05-07, 07:47 PM
the shirt look.... (http://www.robbiecrow.ultra-boards.net/images/linlithgow%202.JPG)

The jacket look.... (http://www.robbiecrow.ultra-boards.net/images/linlithgow%202.JPG)

The DM look.... (http://www.robbiecrow.ultra-boards.net/images/number%201's%201%20mace.jpg)

Robbie very smart mate, Don`t take this the wrong way but if you lose the drum sling/crossbelt, put your sash on the other shoulder and get your hands on a Baldrick (cermonial sash with band name on, little drum stick etc) it will improve your DM uniform no end. apart from that it looks like a good turnout.

Robbie.Crow
12-05-07, 07:50 PM
Robbie very smart mate, Don`t take this the wrong way but if you lose the drum sling/crossbelt, put your sash on the other shoulder and get your hands on a Baldrick (cermonial sash with band name on, little drum stick etc) it will improve your DM uniform no end. apart from that it looks like a good turnout.
Ive handed in the mace now.. gonna stick to drumming.. but yeah.. we were getting the baldrick made when we were in orkney.. so we never had it.. we have it now though..

sadly.. i have the number ones no more :(

oh well... less dressing up for me :bg:

tankiedrummie
12-05-07, 07:59 PM
Aye its good to concentrate on the drumming, but one day when you are old and your hands can`t keep up with everyone else, you can always go back to being a DM, arthritis catches up with everyone and at least you will be able to go out on gigs with the band and stand there and look good

Heres another couple of photos, one from Basel and the other is my normal work gear.

Robbie.Crow
12-05-07, 08:00 PM
Stand there.. yes

look good.. well.. we'll see :bg:

Vikki
12-05-07, 10:54 PM
in the hope this will shut up some people... i have edited my post on first page of this topic with a very recent pic (i.e. from malahide today). with my new uniform :bg:

Robbie.Crow
12-05-07, 10:58 PM
well thats my new destop ima.... eh i mean.. nice picture vikki.. really suits you :bg:

tankiedrummie
13-05-07, 03:04 AM
Very nice Vikki, but I think you should have stuck to anc Macdonald of Clan Ranald, a much better looking kilt. I am biased though as it is my family tartan. Well done for the other day.

Dai Robb
13-05-07, 12:22 PM
Well done Vikki?? see it was not that painful was it? I will be happy with that Pic until I get my own in Glasgow. LOL

drumpretzel
13-05-07, 01:43 PM
My pic at the left says it all for now, although we are looking into getting vests, which I think looks sharp. (We are trying to pull away from the military look since we are a traditional Scottish band) :drum:

HAHAHA!! Littledrummergirl dresses up as a SMURF to go out on parade?????
(Have you adopted a new uniform since the last time I saw you??):rotf:

Scarlet O'Hair
13-05-07, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that's the REAL reason I left the band....the blue and white clashed with my hair!!

Naa.....Litldrummergirl used to have and avatar of her playing instead of that smurf one!

EireDrums
13-05-07, 09:01 PM
Yeah, that's the REAL reason I left the band....the blue and white clashed with my hair!!

Naa.....Litldrummergirl used to have and avatar of her playing instead of that smurf one!

I am quite lucky with the Uniform colours, as the green looks alright with my hair colouring :rotf:

Vikki
13-05-07, 09:18 PM
ditto. uniforms dont tend to clash with my hair at all. lol

Scarlet O'Hair
13-05-07, 11:55 PM
Oh c'mon...smurf blue and white? :bg:

redneck
14-05-07, 09:21 PM

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Nice one...took ma mid aff ma hangover fer a split second.........:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :tommy:

Robbie.Crow
14-05-07, 11:06 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Nice one...took ma mid aff ma hangover fer a split second.........:Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :tommy:
I dont get it....

Piper06
14-05-07, 11:18 PM
I dont get it....

It's a piping thing Robbie. :rotf:

rpeitzsch
15-05-07, 04:25 AM

Nah, I bet she could make even that overly incredibly sickenly sweet cutesy blue and white smurf outfit look good. (did I mention I detested the smurfs? :bg:)

jjpiper
26-05-07, 06:52 AM
A picture of me in SDPD Uniform.

SancheA
31-05-07, 02:23 AM
Handsome Devil must I say.But will never look as good as Me..LOL