PDA

View Full Version : solo drumming frustrations

Amanda
03-05-07, 04:56 AM
Is there any tenor or bass drummers out there hu find it rather frustratn wen waitn for pipers and snares to play with them during their solo events? I find it frustratn coz the pipers are too scared the gona stuff up or sumthn so they dont volentare to play, and wen we do have snare drummers they are either off doin their solos or nicking the pipers you organnised to play for u and your drum section.

And also theres always a tune i wona play that the pipers know. But then the snare drummer of course has no music to go with that tune so you have to stick to pickn out tunes from ur set and medley, which uv playd so many times n it startn to get boring.

Anyone out ther in our bands situation?

Bashful
03-05-07, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't say that I get frustrated about it...more nervous than anything. More time for the tension and nerves to build up, especially if it's really close to the playing time.

Whenever I've had to wait to even warm-up with the piper and drummer that play for me, it's usually because they're busy with their own solos, or helping out others from the same band with their solos. And in the case when they're playing their own, their solos are just as important to them as yours are to you. Yes, things are always hectic on a games day, but you just have to learn be patient. Anyways, most of the time, if you're waiting on one or the other and you have to play next, usually the stewards or the judge will stick you in after the next competitor.

In the end, there's no point in stressing about having to wait for your piper or drummer to show up to play for you. All it'll do is rattle you for when you actually have to perform.

Good luck!

Later

B

LJMZK
03-05-07, 04:52 PM
Well last time I competed I wasn't frustrated ...... worried would be more like it. I had hired a piper that I didn't know and at the last sec he couldn't play for me (legit reason) so he asked a buddy whom I never met to play. I meet him and we go through the tune a few times and each time he forgets part of it....... i was so worried about him forgeting the tune that my nerves weren't as bad. He ended up doing a great job though. AS for my snare drummer.... well he is my husband.... so I can boss him around.:scarl:

Lena

drummer_dancer
03-05-07, 06:38 PM
I think there will always be a problem here.
The snare drummers are frustrated because they are waiting for the pipers
The tenors are frustrated because they are waiting for the snares who are waiting for pipers
The bass are frustrated because they are waiting for the snares who are waiting for the pipers

so basically... everything is the pipers fault!

HAHA just kidding... i know i'll get beaten for that one :bolt:

Dai Robb
03-05-07, 08:00 PM
The tenors are frustrated because they are waiting for the snares who are waiting for pipers
The bass are frustrated because they are waiting for the snares who are waiting for the pipers

Welcome back to the postings Cindy? we have missed you

Heilan Mary
04-05-07, 10:49 AM

Well done Cindy!!!! Basically that is the truth. The drummers are always waiting on the pipers no matter if it is solo's or band competition. I sense a drummer v (squelly bagging)piping slagging match coming on. BRING IT ON!!!

Robbie.Crow
04-05-07, 10:55 AM

RRRAYYYTTT OOOWWWWWNNN sista!

Although i cant help agreeing with you that you will get beaten.. dont worry.. ive seen the size of kaitlin compared to you.. shes small.. so basicaly.. it cant hurt that much :bg:

Piper of Rose
04-05-07, 01:26 PM
Last year I played for every drummer during most of the competitions. One time I asked a stewart if I could delay my piping solo to play for some drummers that were waiting. Mind you I had a few minutes till time for the solo. The stewart asked the judge. The Judge said "Hell no the drummers have no set times they can wait."

Spitty
04-05-07, 07:34 PM
Prolly Not playing Solos This year.. So i wont have to worry about it! :)

Belliabang
04-05-07, 07:51 PM
SPITTY! U GOTA, FOR MAAAAAAAAAAAAAALTA!

Plus, u won the harrison- the season should be easy for u man

PowerBoozer007
04-05-07, 08:32 PM
I meet him and we go through the tune a few times and each time he forgets part of it....... i was so worried about him forgeting the tune that my nerves weren't as bad.

I just played for Thriller last saturday as I knew non of the LA Scots would be at this small games. He wanted to play LAK, Susan MacLeod and Mrs. MacPherson. I haven't played LAK since 1993, so I printed out the music and got the parts sorted in my head on the way up to the games as I hate screwing up a drummer's chances.

Think he did OK, but what a pain it must be to find a willing player every time!

Amanda
06-05-07, 01:53 AM
hmmm....i know every one has there own solos to do. but ya know maybe one day we culd have like our own alicated pipers n drummers....culd pay them lol. last year i payd my snare drumma by buyn him a couple of blocks of chocolate....shame he left to go to a better band.

Catrina
17-05-07, 06:29 PM
what fustrates me...is this year when i went to brandon competition i was asking around so much till i found a ride but then another problem came up....i realised i had no piper of drummer for my two tenor solos...when got there i luckly found a piper and snare i did my solos and placed 1st and 2nd but the point was i was so stressed i thought i would be screwed!!!

Belliabang
18-05-07, 10:57 PM
what fustrates me...is this year when i went to brandon competition i was asking around so much till i found a ride but then another problem came up....i realised i had no piper of drummer for my two tenor solos...when got there i luckly found a piper and snare i did my solos and placed 1st and 2nd but the point was i was so stressed i thought i would be screwed!!!

congrats on the placings eh?!

Catrina
22-05-07, 03:00 PM
thanks it was worth all the trouble of practicing...it makes me proud for once when i win awards and place!!
congrats on the placings eh?!

Dai Robb
22-05-07, 10:09 PM
Remember the old saying " PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT"

At times it can be a bind? but the end product, when you take part in the likes of a Competition, and get a placing? !!!!WOW, thats when you know it is worth it.

Catrina
25-05-07, 06:45 PM
yeah when i went to comp. for the first time i was in heaven and loved pipe bands alot more and still do....winning awards just shows u are good and keeps you going and stops you from giving up...i took my friend to winnipeg scottish festival this year and he said he know loves pipe bands and was tapping drum beats alot....only one day at a comp. can addict you....
Remember the old saying " PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT"

At times it can be a bind? but the end product, when you take part in the likes of a Competition, and get a placing? !!!!WOW, thats when you know it is worth it.

wjjagfan
27-07-07, 11:21 PM
I play pipes for my son's solos (see our family photo in the rogues gallery). Since we submit our registration at the same time we inevitably get scheduled in the same time slot (has happened at our last four competitions). The judges have always been good about resuffling us, but sometimes it means he has to wait for me.

As far as finding pipers for drummers, our pipe sergent has come up with what I think is a good idea. He is going to post the tunes that drummers need pipers for and ask for volunteers. If no one volunteers the civilian way then he will volunteer them the military way. :bg:

I can understand pipers being apprehensive about playing for drummers. I was scared to death to pipe for my son. I didn't mind screwing up my own solo, but I dreaded the idea of messing up my son's chances.

I've since had several experiences which have made me much more relaxed about playing for him, but I think a lot of pipers worry about hurting a fellow band member's chances - and you don't know if playing badly could hurt your relationship with that person. What if they blame you for not playing well?