PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Firesides

Piper06
10-05-07, 01:56 AM
I just ordered a set, any words of wisdom from the crowd on getting used to the, and changing back and forth from them to GHP? :Ceith:

Piper Mac
10-05-07, 02:34 AM
06, I think Bobby our Piping Advisor is very familiar with the Firesides, he might be a good reference for questions.....

Don Robertson
24-05-07, 05:24 PM
Maybe this is a bit of an old thread, but here goes. I don't own a set of Gibson's Fireside pipes, but my PM has a set. They are extremely easy to blow, so over-blowing will be something to get use to. Also, just a word of caution, the tuning pins are quite thin, and possibly quite fragile. I would be very careful with them if you play gigs with them.

Bobby
28-05-07, 02:32 PM
06, I think Bobby our Piping Advisor is very familiar with the Firesides, he might be a good reference for questions.....

yes I am quite familiar with Fireside pipes. I am the Canadian representative for Gibson.

Getting used to them, maintaining steady blowing is something that is much more sensitive on the firesides, and they are easier to blow that the highland bagpipe. Treat them well, don't sit on them:stopit: and never squeeze the reed sideways to "open it up". The reed blades to not like that and you can crack them.

Very nice mellow soudning instrument. Popular with those living in apartments and such because of the low volume, and increasingly popular with many people as an intermediary step between the PC and big pipe. I enjoy playing them at gatherings and small parties,a dn they blend well with other instruments.

If you have any questions about them, don' hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to answer you.

Piper Mac
28-05-07, 04:19 PM
Thanks Bobby for the info, Gibson has modified his firesides of late, are the newer ones less sensitive to unsteady blowing?

Scotty_Ballylough
28-05-07, 05:04 PM
Does anyone have a link to a website for these gibson firesides? they sound quite interesting!

Piper Mac
28-05-07, 05:13 PM
try this---

http://www.gibsonpipes.com

Bobby
28-05-07, 06:04 PM
I have info and links to some sound samples on my current website.

http://www.mccarthyhighland.com/Gibsonsmallpipe.htm

as to a redesign, I'm not sure how old your info is, but contact me with your questions and I'll do my best to answer them.:bobby:

tankiedrummie
28-05-07, 11:06 PM
I know I am on foreign ground here but in my band the drummers call pipes "fire wood" because all they are useful for is putting on the fire, I think it is great that someone has made pipes especially for the firesides, does this make the middle of the fire burn a bit better meaning more heat for the BBQ or is it to give more wind protection to the centre thus preventing burnt sausages, you thoughts are most appreciated.:whistle: :drum:

*Tankiedrummie slinks back into his corner and puts on his flak jacket and helmet*

Robbie.Crow
28-05-07, 11:18 PM
:rotf:

so im not the only one who wanders into the pipers room by mistake :bg: :rotf:

Piper Mac
28-05-07, 11:24 PM
Guess we pipers will have to start invading the drummers room...lol

Piper06
28-05-07, 11:54 PM
Robbie you are here because everyone tells you to get lost. :rotf:

Terrance
31-05-07, 08:30 PM