PDA

View Full Version : Chanter tape for tuning

3DronesorNoTone
07-06-07, 12:24 PM
Just wanted some feedback on what ype/kind of tape people are using for tuning the chanter. IMO the typical tape you get at most supply shops just does not cut it and it looks ugly. I use electrical tape but I have problems in the heat obviously. It moves and leaves sticky crap on the chanter.

Piper of Rose
07-06-07, 12:35 PM
Electrical tape. Look for MMM 33 plus. Best stuff on the market. I use to be in the Electrical supply business. It resists heat and cold better than other cheap products.

Scotty_Ballylough
07-06-07, 01:32 PM
I use heavy duty duck tape.....cover the whole chanter so that noone can hear me play lol!!!!!

above comment is good advice!!

Jamesinator
07-06-07, 01:57 PM
POR, where can I get this MMM 33 plus? Is it better than super 88?

cheers
James

Terrance
07-06-07, 03:55 PM
POR, where can I get this MMM 33 plus? Is it better than super 88?

cheers
James

Just do a google search for "3M 33 Vinyl tape" and you should get hits on their super vinyl tape.

Stormy
07-06-07, 09:36 PM
I use electrical tape but I have problems in the heat obviously. It moves and leaves sticky crap on the chanter.

I've never coma across tape which does not give this problem. Good maintenance is the only answer.

Itchyknee
07-06-07, 09:54 PM
I've never coma across tape which does not give this problem. Good maintenance is the only answer.

Some tapes seem to be worse than others. i usually use unbranded electricians tape. I've noticed some have thin gum while others leave great thick layers of gunk on hot days. Like Stormy says, good maintenance is usually the best idea. Change the tape before it starts causing you problems. i have seen occasionally the tape sliding so badly that it covers the whole hole, that's when it gets interesting. My current PM uses some kind of citric cleaner to remove the gunk and clean the chanter before putting on new stuff. Seems to work OK for us.

Stormy
07-06-07, 09:57 PM
My current PM uses some kind of citric cleaner to remove the gunk and clean the chanter before putting on new stuff. Seems to work OK for us.

"Brasso" wadding or "Duraglit" works wonders.

Itchyknee
07-06-07, 09:59 PM
The citric stuff from Betterware leaves a lovely orangey smell though.:Ceith:

Scotty_Ballylough
07-06-07, 10:36 PM
:rotf:

Bobby
08-06-07, 02:29 PM
The medical tape in the white dispenser found at the drug store works well for allot of people. I also know some that use pin striping tape from auto supply shops, and a few others that use duct tape cut thin. I personally prefer the medical tape because it's easily adjusted and doesn't gum up my chanters when and if I have to move it arround. EVeryone will have their own personal favourite tyope to use, and as long as you do proper maintenance I'm sure that a number of them will suit you quite fine. Just remember, nothing is permanent and nothing is 100 % perfect.

redneck
08-06-07, 05:47 PM
"Brasso" wadding or "Duraglit" works wonders.

WD 40 is gid too, just spray a little on a bit cotton rag 'n walla it's all gone

Bobby
08-06-07, 06:14 PM
never figured you as a long-hair type Redneck. :bg:

Scotty_Ballylough
08-06-07, 07:10 PM
The medical tape in the white dispenser found at the drug store works well for allot of people.

Isnt that like a tan colour tho??

Bobby
08-06-07, 07:18 PM
no it's clear. It's the glue backing you see when on the roll ( you're looking at a hundred feet of it all at once) that makes it look darker.

redneck
10-06-07, 12:17 PM
Isnt that like a tan colour tho??

What's colour got da do wi it?.........if it does the job who cares?.:Ceith: :Ceith: :tommy:

redneck
10-06-07, 12:18 PM
never figured you as a long-hair type Redneck. :bg:

LOL, Dave Allen Coe......."Long haired Redneck" class track m8 :Ceith: :Ceith: :Ceith: :tommy:

Scarlet O'Hair
10-06-07, 02:52 PM
In January at WinterStorm I bought a roll of narrow black tape that was being sold as "chanter tape" Always the gadget girl, I bought a roll (I think Sass may have as well?) I dislike electrician's tape as it slide too much on me (often we are out there in 30+ weather) The jury is still out as I've used it only once outside and the heat wasn't deadly. I try to keep a piece above each hole and an extra on the sole to minimize "fartin" around time. I'll keep you posted after the next heatwave competition.

Scotty_Ballylough
10-06-07, 03:40 PM
Yes, I can see where everyone from canada (well the warm parts of canada anyway) lol are comin from as in the heat electrical (insulating) tape does slip........but as it is 9/10 times baltic cold in Northern Ireland......electrical tape tends to do the job!!!!

Scarlet O'Hair
10-06-07, 03:45 PM
........but as it is 9/10 times baltic cold in Northern Ireland......electrical tape tends to do the job!!!!

Hmmmm....that's great if you can feel your fingers! :bg:

Itchyknee
10-06-07, 06:14 PM
Hmmmm....that's great if you can feel your fingers! :bg:

In the winter I just tape my fingers to the chanter .

redneck
10-06-07, 06:18 PM
In the winter I just tape my fingers to the chanter .
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Class m8.