Hamilton Police- MSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuDxpQMMDFY

Niagara Regional Police-MSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiVUMJRg6IM

Cheers,
Matt

Dai Robb
17-06-07, 10:51 PM
Thanks for those Matt, loved the new 78th stuff nice and sweet, And my first time hearing Niagra? really impressed.
Remind me I owe you a pint in Glasgow

Celtic Mitch
17-06-07, 11:41 PM
Thanks Matt. Well, Ryan don't hate me, but I did not like the midsection at all of the 78th. Maybe it was where the camera was positioned but the tone coming off the drums sounded like tupperware. Other than that..again...awesome performance. (How many beers is that now)?

Grade 2...well...I really liked Niagara's pipes much better. Seemed to be tighter more well tuned sound.

However, saying that, congrats to Matt and the gang at Hamilton and congrats to all the boys and girls of the 78th!

Belliabang
18-06-07, 02:32 AM
we took 2 1sts in piping

Celtic Mitch
18-06-07, 02:55 AM
we took 2 1sts in piping

I said I liked Niagara's pipes better...I didn't say the judges did.

piper_dancer
18-06-07, 06:43 AM
I liked Niagara's too...
but I guess that shouldn't count since I'm in Niagara...haha

piper_dancer
18-06-07, 06:43 AM
I liked Niagara's too...
but I guess that shouldn't count since I'm in Niagara...haha

Dai Robb
18-06-07, 11:47 AM
And you liked them so much, you said it twice LOL

:rotf: :rotf:

stuartFSPB
22-06-07, 10:17 PM
i was in sarnia for these contests. 78th was amazing, watched them warm up for 2 hours walked with them to final tune and closed in the circle behind them. practically flawless, they should do something this year at the worlds. i love their medley opener. peel sounded fairly good, pipe section better then at georgetown. didnt hear niagra. hamilton sounded good in the beer tent, good crowd pleaser.

SancheA
22-06-07, 10:26 PM
Must admit, alomst fell asleep during both 78th and PRP performances.Not as faced pace, and good as they use to be.78th can do much better!,Halmilton police's medley was awesome, very faced paced, recognizable tunes unlike that 78th new age techno babble BS.Niagara was also a bore...

Jamesinator
22-06-07, 10:30 PM
uhh....pretty sure Hamilton played an MSR, not a medley ;)

Bashful
22-06-07, 10:37 PM
Must admit, alomst fell asleep during both 78th and PRP performances.Not as faced pace, and good as they use to be.78th can do much better!,Halmilton police's medley was awesome, very faced paced, recognizable tunes unlike that 78th new age techno babble BS.Niagara was also a bore...

uhh....pretty sure Hamilton played an MSR, not a medley ;)

Indeed, Hamilton's Grade 2 band played an MSR that day. The Grade 4 band, however played their medley. Perhaps that's the band Anthony was speaking of? Or maybe he just had the wrong band. :dunno:

Later,

B

W Kemler
22-06-07, 11:53 PM
I feel that theres a difference between fast tempo's and controlled tempo's. 78th is not preparing for Kincardine in a couple of weeks, their preparing for a world championship. When they get over to Scotland the tempo's will rise due to the nature of the contest. The medley that they are playing was written by band members, as you will find thats what happens with World caliber grade 1 bands. I think the medal they played was phenomenal, very musical from start to finish.

Bashful
23-06-07, 12:54 AM
I feel that theres a difference between fast tempo's and controlled tempo's. 78th is not preparing for Kincardine in a couple of weeks, their preparing for a world championship. When they get over to Scotland the tempo's will rise due to the nature of the contest. The medley that they are playing was written by band members, as you will find thats what happens with World caliber grade 1 bands. I think the medal they played was phenomenal, very musical from start to finish.

I agree with you on this one. The Frasers were, without a doubt the best band there and their performance was outstanding. :cindy: :kait:

Now, different people have different views on things, but I thought that the Frasers mid-section was spectacular. Excellent work by both tenors and bass. However, sometimes videos do not do performances justice compared to what you hear or see in person. A powerful performance, but controlled in my opinion.

In the end, I completely loved their performance and can't wait to see what Kincardine will bring. :bg:

Later,

B

Belliabang
23-06-07, 02:58 AM
I thought the 78's medley was phenominal, origional, and trend setting. There's alot of repeating rhythms and phrases which give theme to the medley, and make it stick out in your mind. Since the first time i've heard that opener in march, i've had it stuck in my head and I catch myself humming it going down the halls at school.

Thanks for the comments on hamilton though! Although we did play an MSR in sarnia, we played our medley in georgetown.

Matt

BARR_R
23-06-07, 05:53 PM
I gotta say there are some things that really bother me about this post, and NOT just because I play in one of the bands in question here. I would say this about any band.

Must admit, alomst fell asleep during both 78th and PRP performances.
All right thats your personal thoughts so I can live with that.

Not as faced pace, and good as they use to be.78th can do much better!, unlike that 78th new age techno babble BS.Niagara was also a bore...
First off, what is faced paced? If you are meaning to say fast paced then what you are saying is that fast tunes make a great medley? Not on board with ya here.
Not as good as when...............87.............98 (Walking the Plank)..............??when???

Secondly, what is your deffinition of new age techno babble? Is this tunes that were created by world class pipers that play in the band? If you were to say, " I don't like the .................. about the tunes" then I would say GREAT your thoughts! Instead you classified these tunes as something that to me makes no sense. I never seen any glow sticks or lolly pops or even xtc being passed out before the comp.

Hamilton was very good indeed.................Whew we agree!

Niagra a bore............? huh? Its a SET CONTEST! did you listen to it???? Should they have started with a five paced roll into their March? This band played really well and were beat by a band that played just a little bit better.

Scarlet O'Hair
23-06-07, 07:28 PM
HI Ryan

You bring up some excellent points.

Unlike some who have posted in this thread, I was there for the performances. They were all top notch. Being in a lower grade band I appreciate all that goes into a competition when it comes to the upper grades.The unison, the control, the tone....amazing. We (at least I) stand there in awe and watch and listen and learn and strive to do better in my grade because of it.

I do understand some people not warming up immediately to newly written tunes written by band members for competitions. Some people simply like the old standards and are hoping to hear them so they can tap their foot or "play along" in their heads. Sometimes it can be hard to "hear" the whole picture if the tune is unfamiliar.

That being said, I like that we didn't hear two different versions of "Highland Wedding" or "Moving Cloud" etc!!! I think it takes guts and balls to write new interesting tunes/medleys that are outside of the box. It also takes guts and balls to perform them at such a high level of play for such big stakes. One never knows what the judges will "want" to hear over the pond in August... Kudos to John for the work he puts into the music. It's my understanding that at Sarnia the two gr 1 PMs agreed ahead of time to pick which medley they wanted to play...kinda neat.

I think its difficult to get a true picture of what things really sounded like when we can only watch what's posted on youtube. Videos are often taken with small cameras not designed to pick up the sound as it is meant to be. The direction of the wind, the positition of the camera can certainly make a difference as well. Things that sound tight and matched in the circle on the day can certainly come off sounding quite a bit different in a recording.

It was a great day, and we were treated to some awesome music! It was even cool watching the horses from the beer tent!

PS TO ALL WHO ARE READING THIS THREAD ....while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think they could be conveyed in a more positive way than we have seen in this thread....yes? :newt:

*the above post is the opinion soley of the Wee Witch, and in no way is intended to reflect the opinion of the forum as a whole* :bg: :scarletwitch:

jjpiper
23-06-07, 07:43 PM
Out of the four selections, I liked Hamilton the best.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

PowerBoozer007
23-06-07, 09:26 PM
I have to keep reminding myself this is not the same 78th Frasers I played against for 15 years, so I'll hold my competitor's contempt and here's my honest opinion about their performance.

Really liked the opener, loved the Strathspey and good clean reel playing without the usual harmony fest.

The slow bit was typical medley fill, but well chorded and with a brilliant transition into the jig selection. Really Liked the jigs too!

Interesting intoduction into the Hp's, very well played and the melody of the tune doesn't get lost in pointless harmonies.

The mid section didn't need to play in the Strathspey and they were way too busy in the final HP, it was almost annoying. That could be said about other bands too as tenors should not dominate the rhythm. When i starts to sound like a group of kids playing garbage bins in the background, it's going to hurt your ensemble and cost the band a prize.

From a judge's point of view, they are really not looking for what you are playing, but more of how you play it. While bands are trying to keep it fresh, I don't think a lot of weight is placed on actual tune selection. They are more concerned with unity and how well the drones are set along with chanter tone.

It's all pretty simple, don't give a judge an excuse to right you off!

Scarlet O'Hair
23-06-07, 09:55 PM
From a judge's point of view, they are really not looking for what you are playing, but more of how you play it. While bands are trying to keep it fresh, I don't think a lot of weight is placed on actual tune selection. They are more concerned with unity and how well the drones are set along with chanter tone. It's all pretty simple, don't give a judge an excuse to right you off!

John, you certainly have more experience than I do at this whole game,(cuz like you are older than me and stuff :bolt: ) but I can't help but think if the judges are unfamiliar with it, it becomes more difficult to judge. No standard to compare it to? I'm not sure what I'm trying to get at here...

PowerBoozer007
24-06-07, 12:55 AM
When you listen to any tune, there's a certain predictability to it and you just follow the flow of the tune. Mistakes stick out like a big blap and alerts the judge to stand behind a player that is having difficulty on the day.

SancheA
25-06-07, 01:33 AM
MSR/medley, there playing in General..

W Kemler
25-06-07, 02:32 AM
MSR/medley, there playing in General..

WOW!! sounds like someone is digging them selfs into a hole. In a completly diffenent thread you compared DCI drumming to pipeband drumming and went so far as to say pipe band drumming is "robotic". Now in this thread you compare an MSR to a medley, but you don't stop there, you go on to to say that a composers music, who mind you has put his heart and soul into, you call his music "new age techno babble BS", are we to assume that "BS" means Bulls**t? would it be possible to articulate a thought with out being insulting?, or make a fair comparison with out being insulting? It's 3 easy words... STOP, THINK, SPEAK. Try it sometime, you might find that people will respect your point of view :goodidea:

SancheA
25-06-07, 02:35 AM
nah, no harm done, those ppl could play circles around me, just gotta say yuck to some things that people write.like amazing Grace, it was ok the first time I heard it.

Bashful
25-06-07, 02:50 AM
It seems in today's world, medleys are supposed to be original, which means that, usually, the band members compose the tunes or write the scores, etc. If that didn't happen, how would any band be unique? How would any tunes/scores be different from the next band if everyone did the same thing? How boring would a competition be if everyone played the same tunes, the same scores and the midsection did the same thing every time?

Every band wants a different sound, to define themselves against the other bands. The sound that one band wants to achieve is completely different from the next band. If bands don't do some experimenting and do something original, all medleys would be quite a bore. Isn't a medley supposed to do that: have the band experiment with tunes while the MSR is about techincalities? You can hardly compare the two to each other.

All I'm trying to say, is that indeed, everyone has their own opinion of a band and their playing. But to say their MSR or medley was a complete bore that it almost put you to sleep, that's hardly fair or justified unless you know what's going on. And if band's didn't experiment and do anything original, the pipe band world would be very boring, indeed. And that, I believe, would truly put you to sleep.

Later,

B

Belliabang
25-06-07, 02:58 AM
B, u took the words right out of my mouth

SancheA
25-06-07, 03:13 AM
Good point B, maybe change is good, just need to see it through your eyes, because to me , its a tad way to different.

dharron
25-06-07, 04:53 AM
HI Ryan

You bring up some excellent points...

...PS TO ALL WHO ARE READING THIS THREAD ....while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think they could be conveyed in a more positive way than we have seen in this thread....yes? :newt:

*the above post is the opinion soley of the Wee Witch, and in no way is intended to reflect the opinion of the forum as a whole* :bg: :scarletwitch:
You got it, Carrie!!!!

PowerBoozer007
25-06-07, 09:06 PM
here's a couple good medlies from the past weekend:

The Vale are smoking!

Shotts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0rKzMe8kyE
Vale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfDOaZe0EcA

Bobby
25-06-07, 09:20 PM
I wasn't there....haven't seen the video, or heard any recordings....but I think it's possible some here may be reading more into some comments than are possibly there?

If Sanche says he didn't care for the selection, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. You don't have to share his opinion.

I may be missing something here??

Dai Robb
25-06-07, 09:37 PM
nah, no harm done, those ppl could play circles around me, just gotta say yuck to some things that people write.like amazing Grace, it was ok the first time I heard it.

I used to think That Sanchea was on something?LOL, I have now come to realise that he does indeed say things that make me cringe when first reading, BUT when you take the time to really look into what he says, It is indeed his own thoughts just perhaps not as succient as we would expect?

W Kemler
26-06-07, 03:41 AM
here's a couple good medlies from the past weekend:

The Vale are smoking!

Shotts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0rKzMe8kyE
Vale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfDOaZe0EcA

Thanks for sharing those links, vale's medley is awsome

PowerBoozer007
26-06-07, 03:51 AM
Yea, I'm not even sure if I could handle some of their material??????
Definetley a different age!