PDA

View Full Version : Crozier Cane Reeds

Glyn_Mo
06-07-07, 01:01 PM
Anybody tried them?

redneck
06-07-07, 01:32 PM
A think PD has a set in m8, PM her she may be able da fill ya in.

Ya not get the McNuly's yet ?.

PowerBoozer007
06-07-07, 01:47 PM
Heard they were good, but never seen one yet!

Terrance
06-07-07, 01:53 PM
No haven't had the need to ...like my Kinnards with the long bass reed.

What ever works and gets the job done at the end of the day.

piper_dancer
06-07-07, 06:25 PM
yeah i have em
theyre pretty good
but ive been having bass problems. I dont think its the reed though, cause most reeds have problems in there.

they give a nice sound. im happy with them.

Glyn_Mo
07-07-07, 11:53 AM
A think PD has a set in m8, PM her she may be able da fill ya in.

Ya not get the McNuly's yet ?.

I did get the McNulty's, but was having cane reed-associated issues with them. Piping Connections have taken them back to take a look at.

Glyn_Mo
07-07-07, 11:44 PM
No haven't had the need to ...like my Kinnards with the long bass reed.

What ever works and gets the job done at the end of the day.

Terrance my friend, that is not the right attitude! You must realise that the quest to find the "Perfect Drone Reed" is a never-ending quest!

The quest demands that every single reed that has ever been produced is tested, and copious amounts of drivel about the merits or faults with each reed must then be written on Internet sites such as this one!

Incidently, the reeds are sh1t-hot.

Bobby
09-07-07, 06:21 PM
I have tested them. Had the opportunity to install a set in a set of Dunbar poly pipes not long ago for a customer and was very impressed with the tonal quality in those pipes.

PipeFuzz
10-07-07, 08:53 PM
I have the carbom fibre and love them, I'll be hoing for a listen to the cane for comparison.

Fuzz

Terrance
10-07-07, 09:10 PM
I'm reminded every time I see an antique or classic car at a car show...they still suffer from old car/technology problems. Won't start, have to be push started and the like.

There always seems to be a longing for the good old day...which were not necessiarly so good.

Glyn_Mo
23-07-07, 01:13 PM
Okay, I've had these reeds in for a couple of weeks and can honestly say that these reeds are definitely the best sounding out of the various types of drone reeds I've tried.

They didn't go straight away though. A bit of tongue flicking and hair was necessary, the end sound is well worth the initial niggles. I would be interested in comparing the sound of these reeds with a set of full canes.

PowerBoozer007
23-07-07, 06:09 PM
I'm always interested in anything new and like to fiddle about!

I was severly disapointed in a set of Rocket reeds I tried recently, had a muffled sound to it. I was shocked to find you couldn't make any adjustment to it as it would shut off or roar if you moved the bridle a hair.

Heard these reeds a couple of weekends ago, but the boy's L&M bag was soaking wet and the reeds sounded like it too. H'e putting on a Gannaway next week, so get a better chance to hear the reeds then.

Piper Mac
05-08-07, 09:30 AM
Surprised to hear that about Rockets. I love the sound of mine and I have adjusted the bridle. Curious if they were Mark's latest 'fit all' style or the made for specific brand Rocket? Were they Rockets made for your make of pipes?

selpiper
14-08-07, 06:39 PM
Is it correct that the 78th Fraser Highlanders are using the Crozier cane reeds?

Søren.

pipingconnections
14-08-07, 07:39 PM
Is it correct that the 78th Fraser Highlanders are using the Crozier cane reeds?

Søren.

Relibly informed that they are Soren

Bondy
17-08-07, 09:46 PM
I have had them in now for a couple of months and rate them a lot higher than omega's etc they don't like moisture though

Bobby
18-08-07, 03:32 PM

Søren.

James would be the best person to ask about that. He plays with them.

pipingconnections
18-08-07, 09:55 PM
James would be the best person to ask about that. He plays with them.

my reliable source also plays with the band Bobby lol

phyx
20-08-07, 12:02 PM
I was testing out a set of McCallums for the band. They had a Ross canister system in them and they came with Crozier Cane reeds.

Honestly, I couldn't keep them going. I had the bridles opened as far as they could go, struck in--sounded okay...not great...but OK...but as soon as I played an E--all 3 drones cut out. Perhaps if I had used a hair or flicked the tongue a bit they'd have kept sounding when the chanter came in, but I found them too easy to shut off.

I found they also want to tune fairly high on the pins--even with that next-to-impossible-to-move-arrow-point-shaped tuning plug pulled out a good way.

Overall, not my favorite set of reeds. I don't know how long they've been played, but they looked and felt fairly new.

The tenors had a buzz to them that was borderline annoying. When the tuning plug is pulled out, it should mellow out the buzz, but it didn't seem to matter with these--of course the bridle was as open as it gets too. The bass was OK, but not at all what I was expecting. I was hoping for a bit more volume, but the sound was pretty pleasing.

Hope this helps.

Gordy88
16-09-07, 10:43 PM
I have them in my Sinclairs,

Good?

If they could cook, i'd marry them!!

Cheers:Ceith:

redneck
17-09-07, 06:14 PM
Gordy m8, see Brian Kidd or Hippy Wilson, I gave 'em pipingconnections ( Richards ) contact details. He sent me a set of the M&G's to try, excellent m8, a think you'd like 'em. :Ceith: :tommy:

Gordy88
17-09-07, 09:37 PM
Adie got the first sets into NI, we tried them about Cookstown time.

I tried a set and the Croziers were far better in Sinclairs.

MG's Do work well in the Band Naills

Cheers:Ceith:

redneck
19-09-07, 09:07 PM
Aye, it's Niall pipes we have too m8. Gonna try 'em in ma Hendersons....when a get 'em that is. LOL

The M&G's would go well in the Hendersons, the set am tryin' da get are a set a played fer years, easley reeded 'n great sound sound so would love da try 'em in them. Just to see the difference.......or rather hear the difference.:rotf: :Ceith: :tommy: