PDA

View Full Version : solo drumming

KAILY
14-07-07, 01:56 AM
I think the present system is very fair ,okay the same guys win the top places every time thats because they are the best.
Playing in lower grades should not stop any drummer having a go at the adult solos. If you are confident and think you have the ability to win then enter and have a go. the experience of competing against the best will help you immensly and raise your standards,always say to youself i`m as good as anyone in this contest.!!!
There are many top class drummers in the lower grades, who choose not to play in grade 1
because someone plays in a grade one band does not automatically make them a grade one drummer!!! I know and teach many adult drummers from grade 1 bands They are not all grade 1 drummers!!!!!

Chiddy
16-07-07, 12:07 PM
thanks kaily, but ive been through this many of times with drummers in my core. we got slaughtered for playing stuff that the judges think was to advanced for our standard which it wasnt....the judges just dont like seeing youngster playing hard stuff that the adult's play.... in my opion anyway.

every year at least 2 of our core drummers got slaughterd for playing score's taht werent to hard for them but judges recond they where :S

Thanks
mark

Dai Robb
16-07-07, 12:53 PM
I agree with Kaily here Chiddy, "SELF BELIEF" not arrogance, but confidence

Chiddy
16-07-07, 12:56 PM
yes i also agree but what i ment is most judges will slaughter a youngster for playing the same grade as an adult as they think youngster should't be playing that sort of level at that age ive seen it happen all the time :S

Dai Robb
16-07-07, 01:00 PM
Well things have changed since my day mate, I can assure you, we were encouraged to try and play the more challenging things? is it not a case of maybe the drummers being "slaughtered" as you say, because they were in fact not playing the piece to the standard expected of that particular piece? Obviously not hearing them, I am only giving a suggestion mind

Chiddy
17-07-07, 09:50 AM
possible but, i could only say the drummers was a hell of a player all he ever done was practise practise and guess again more practise.....i even stayed over at his house a few times and there was nothing to do so it explained why he practse'd all the time :S he played everything clear, nice and neat but hey that was over 8 year ago now :S so thing maybe have changed and yes we are always encoruaged to challenge our self....but recently our bands still a joke hahahaha so i dont even waste my time with the solo's as i dont have a piper also i aint willing to play the score ive been given as there to simple for my standard :S

thanks mark

KAILY
21-07-07, 12:55 AM
I think Chiddy the problem for young drummers and lower grade adult drummers who are keen to compete in solos here in Scotland and to gain experience at minor contests before they tackle a major solo contest is, there are very very very!! few minor solo drumming contets opportunities, which is sad.

Robbie.Crow
21-07-07, 01:19 AM
yeah kaily

i discussed this with you when we met

we really do need more solo comps in scotland

Dai Robb
21-07-07, 07:01 PM
If I remember correctly, and I am sure John will back me up on this one, but we were saying the same thing when we were youngster's?

KAILY
21-07-07, 11:50 PM
Dai
Way back in our ancient times (around early 1950`s ) I competed in The Stirling Solo Drumming Championships which was held in the old drill hall where the present Thistle Centre is.
There was no juvenile section, I had just to get on with it and play a MSR
I was positioned 4th a very good result especially when the contest was won by the maestro himself Alex Duthart.
This was the kind of experience we could get in those days ,a chance to compete and hold your own with the best adult players around.

KAILY
22-07-07, 12:18 PM
Hi Robbie
Yes we had a good chin wag about solo drumming over a cup of coffee in Stirling the other day.
Maybe some day in the very near future there will be more money available to stage solo events, hopefully more people will take an interest, that is also another major problem lack of bodies to run such events.

Dai Robb
22-07-07, 12:27 PM
Dai
Way back in our ancient times (around early 1950`s ) I competed in The Stirling Solo Drumming Championships which was held in the old drill hall where the present Thistle Centre is.
There was no juvenile section, I had just to get on with it and play a MSR
I was positioned 4th a very good result especially when the contest was won by the maestro himself Alex Duthart.
This was the kind of experience we could get in those days ,a chance to compete and hold your own with the best adult players around.

Totally agree with you John, there was none of this, "You are a grade one, I am only a Junior" type thing, if you wanted to compete you entered and took your chances. I cant say I ever came 4th to Alex, to be honest I only vaguely remember taking part, and the funny thing is I do remember playing in the old drill hall in Stirling? cant remember the dates, but probably it would have been about the same time. I somehow dont think I won anything mind. My Grandparents were from Balfron, and I remember them coming to see me playing for the first time, When I stepped into position they along with a couple of my Uncles cheered?? Talk about embarrassment?
But as you say, we were boys against men, and to my mind it gave us a better start off in the Band scene.
I do feel for the youngsters these days,Mayb e I should move back to Scotland, and you and I could organise things for them? lol

KAILY
22-07-07, 01:31 PM
Thanks Dai
I hope some day the "powers that be" do try to help more local RSPBA branches to stage solo events , how else can kids get the chance to prepare for a major.There are a few good events around but certainly not enough .

I dont remember much myself Dai about competing centuries ago!!! but I do remember being very scared at competing against Alex.
When he had given up solos he came back and judged the Stirling contest around 1956/57 that was more scarey than competing against him.

Dai Robb
22-07-07, 01:36 PM
You aint kidding, his "PERSONA" entered the room half an hour before he arrived ??

W Kemler
17-08-07, 08:30 PM
If you don't ever attempt to play tougher material how can anyone ever improve. Over here in N. America, solos are a graded system just like band competition, G4 solo players are coming out playing Jim Kirkpatrick's Highland Wedding and making a mess of it, judges are wanting to hear quality not quantity. Over in Scotland where the system is based on age and not ability you would have a 20 year old beginner playing a simple score well competing against Eric Ward, that beginner stands no chance no matter how hard he tries to convince himself "I can win". I feel a "compete according to your age" almost forces players to play scores that are way above there head. If that beginner is judged with other players of the same ability, then that player will naturally have that "I can win" attitude and progression will naturally follow.