PDA

View Full Version : New MG Reeds

heatherbelle
22-07-07, 03:36 PM
I'm about to get new reeds and wonder if anyone has tried these new reeds designed and made by Rory Grossart? If so, how are you finding them? Any comments would be helpful.

Terrance
22-07-07, 03:38 PM
I haven't seen them or heard them.
Let us know what you think of them.
Being that they are new, you might be the first on this block to try them.

pipingconnections
22-07-07, 03:46 PM
They are really good reads lot of time and effort have gone into the design,
Good bit of adjustment available to you with the nose cone
I have been playing a set in my pipes for 3 weks now and they are sounding better and better every day.

Piper Mac
22-07-07, 04:10 PM
How are the 'plugs' for fine tuning work? I had croziers and those tuning plugs did not work well for me. Are they soft rubber like the Croziers?

pipingconnections
22-07-07, 04:19 PM
How are the 'plugs' for fine tuning work? I had croziers and those tuning plugs did not work well for me. Are they soft rubber like the Croziers?

No they are alloy and work really well, they have a locking ring on the adjuster so you just thread it in or out to get where you want to tune and lock it in place, I have slightly diff' internal bore diameters on a relatively cheap set of Pettigrews and could never get both tenors tuning at exactly the same height without moving bridles and having the shutoff problems with that. But these MG,s have cured it for me. I had to turn the Pitch adjuster on my middle drone in a couple of turns and they now tune at the same height.
Also if ime playing a band chanter where the reed is usually sharper i simply adjust the cones out and they still tune at the same part.
Ime really quite chuffed with them.

redneck
22-07-07, 05:27 PM
Richard kindly sent me a set of these on trial, can only echo what Richard has said, obviously he's had his longer than me but my initial reactions are good.

First class workmanship, ease of set up, sound quality is superb. Definitely a 5 star rating from me ( 'n that's saying something from an oul cane dinosaur )

Drumlough are seriously thinking of switching to these next year.

@Pipingconnections, big thanks m8. Ian & Stevie were well impressed. Oh, Scotty too.:Ceith: :tommy:

Scotty_Ballylough
22-07-07, 05:57 PM
Weres My Set Richard Lol

bigfatkev
22-07-07, 06:05 PM
I got a set for my old set of pipes made whilst I waited, they were set up perfect and sounded great would recommend them to anyone

pipingconnections
22-07-07, 06:08 PM
Does this mean that Scotty is now the proud owner of a set of Previously Enjoyed Mcnulty Cane Reeds for his Solo's ??

pipingconnections
22-07-07, 06:10 PM
Weres My Set Richard Lol

Damn Post Office do you no have them yet then Scotty ???:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf ::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

redneck
22-07-07, 06:11 PM
Does this mean that Scotty is now the proud owner of a set of Previously Enjoyed Mcnulty Cane Reeds for his Solo's ??

Ya kiddin' ?............he'd wreck 'em......:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :Ceith: :tommy:

Scotty_Ballylough
22-07-07, 07:47 PM
Ya kiddin' ?............he'd wreck 'em......:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :Ceith: :tommy:

Feck aff ya cabbage....id get you to set them for me :rotf: :rotf:

Scottie100270
22-07-07, 08:06 PM
are they better than the Omega reeds? by the way, pipingconnections has me liking cane reeds:katie:

Bobby
23-07-07, 05:02 PM
Received some just last week. They appear to be quite professionally made. I'll be testing them in a few sets of pipes over the next few weeks.

pipingconnections
23-07-07, 05:54 PM
You will like them bobby
Ive been using a set for 3 weeks now, in a few diff sets of pipes.
They have given me no problems very easy to set up.
Which really makes them so easy to sell.

PowerBoozer007
23-07-07, 10:28 PM
what do they look like, any pictures or website?

Terrance
23-07-07, 10:40 PM

http://www.mgreeds.com/Synthetic.html

pipingconnections
23-07-07, 10:42 PM

http://www.mgreeds.com/

also gives a good bit of info on cane reed maipulation

Terrance
23-07-07, 11:25 PM
Richard how do they compare to Kinnards?
I'm not in a position right now to replace my current set of drone reeds, but would like to know what you think of them and how they compare....plus they are not as spendy as the kinnards.
Thanks in advance

PowerBoozer007
24-07-07, 12:56 AM
Thanks guys, looks like and interesting design!

I'll need to find somebody over here that plays them, Kenny will be over playing with the band in a month, it can wait till then.

cheers

john

pipingconnections
24-07-07, 01:26 PM
Richard how do they compare to Kinnards?
I'm not in a position right now to replace my current set of drone reeds, but would like to know what you think of them and how they compare....plus they are not as spendy as the kinnards.
Thanks in advance

Hi Terrance
Having never used Kinnairds (purely down to have not got around to it )
I dont feel qualified to give a preference, I have spoken to pipers who love them and pipers who dont (my question was always the same do you love/hate them because of the money you have paid for them)??
All i can say is that I sell MG, Crozier, Synthetic and Cane Mcnulty and MG and dont see the need to add to my stock listings at the moment.

Bobby
24-07-07, 01:32 PM
Kinnairds are a great reed. Looks like allot of thought has gone into the design and choice of materials. it will be interesting to see how they stack up against the others on the market. So many good reeds out there already, but always room for one more if it meets the criteria.

Terrance
24-07-07, 02:33 PM
Kinnairds are a great reed. Looks like allot of thought has gone into the design and choice of materials. it will be interesting to see how they stack up against the others on the market. So many good reeds out there already, but always room for one more if it meets the criteria.

Yes, I love the kinnards...but like everyone else....always looking for that holy grail.

Scottie100270
22-08-07, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys, looks like and interesting design!

I'll need to find somebody over here that plays them, Kenny will be over playing with the band in a month, it can wait till then.

cheers

john

john - did you ever get to check these mg reeds out?