PDA

View Full Version : Securing drone cords

Lisa
29-08-07, 09:39 AM
Good morning

Is there anything else besides those plastic tie thingies to tie on drone cords?

I have a new set of cords.... black ones, that I'll be putting on my pipes tonight.

I usually use those plastic tie thingies from the electrical department (currently green ties for green cords), but I cannot find black ties at all for my new black cords!!! I'll use the white ones I've found, but if there's anything else I can use instead... something that won't show as much, I'd be happier.

Lisa

Piper Mac
29-08-07, 09:47 AM
You can use black thread and 'sew' them on,just push the needle thru the inter half side of each cord, closest to each other. Invisible compared to tie cords but a pain if you have to adjust, then have to cut one side of each drone you are moving the cord position. Black cable ties should be available, most Wal-Marts, Home Depots, etc have them. Hope this helps

Lisa
29-08-07, 09:58 AM
Thanks ;)

I didn't think of sewing them.. didn't think that'd be strong enough.

I did check Walmart, Home Depot, Home Hardware...even Dollarama... they all had every colour BUT black.. believe it or not! Green, blue, red, white, yellow. So, I bought white ones from Dollarama.

I was just thinking too... if I use the white ones, I might be able to "paint" them with black permanent marker! Hmmmm... see what happens when I think! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Lisa

phyx
29-08-07, 11:26 AM
Black ones are also found at Canadian Tire. You should literally be able to find them at any hardware store. If Home Depot or Home Hardware was out, they'll be getting more in stock.

Another thing you can try are black twist ties. Put them on, and cut them to fit or wrap the excess around the cord until it blends. Just make sure they're tight.

You could also probably order them online for super cheap...

Piper of Rose
29-08-07, 12:40 PM
I sewed mine with white thread. It does look better. But you can make no adjustment after that so make sure you get it right the first time.

Bobby
29-08-07, 01:04 PM
I used to sew them on too, but they would come apart at the worst times. Now I use the plastic tie-wraps.
Black ones are available.

Lisa
29-08-07, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll look for black ones at Canadian Tire today when I get up north.

Piper of Rose
29-08-07, 02:24 PM
I used to sew them on too, but they would come apart at the worst times. Now I use the plastic tie-wraps.
Black ones are available.

What kind of thread are you using?

Bobby
29-08-07, 02:45 PM
What kind of thread are you using?

nylon.

UpstatePiper
29-08-07, 03:15 PM
I sewed my gold cords with waxed yellow hemp. Seems to be working well so far.

Bobby
29-08-07, 03:23 PM
I think I've seen yellow/gold coloured tie wraps at the hardware store.

SDowns
29-08-07, 03:42 PM
I've used black hemp with great success. I didn't even worry about sewing them and they held fine.

I started with just one side of the cord , made a few wraps, then added the second cord and bound them tightly. No slip, no muss, no fuss...last long time, and no shopping around was necessary as I had a ton of black waxed hemp available.

Stormy
29-08-07, 05:49 PM
For a "quick fix" use the white plastic ties then a black felt tip marker to conceal them. NOT however if you are liable to be playing in the rain.

redneck
29-08-07, 05:52 PM
Cable ties are the best....come in all colours, and different widths too.

Heartbeat2k9
29-08-07, 06:33 PM
Hey Lisa,

PM me with your addy and I'll send you some Black plastic cable ties, that I have.

AlistairFyfe
30-08-07, 09:45 AM
Cable ties are something I used in my job and I still have quite a few in my garage but I never used them on my pipes as I think they are ugly!

Personally, I prefer embroidery silks they come in just about every colour you can imagine and are almost totally invisible when tied in place.

I have a similar view (ugly) on mechanical devices (jubilee clamps or cable ties) being used to fix stocks into the bag rather than the traditional strong cord. I know that mechanical devices can be hidden under the bag cover but I saw a few sticking out at the recent Worlds competition. I used to have a simple tool that would ratchet up a cable tie so tight that I guess it would provide an excellent air seal but I would still not have used this method to tie in my stocks.

The above is just my opinion and the fact that we all may have different views makes the subject interesting.

phyx
30-08-07, 11:33 AM
I'd never use cable ties to tie in my stocks. If you managed to get it tight enough, you'd have a hell of a time cutting it off when you need to change bags. The risk of causing damage to the stocks just isn't worth it to me. I'd much rather use tie in cord or artificial sinew found at any major hobby/craft shop (Michael's to name one).

Bobby
30-08-07, 01:14 PM
I've seen stocks crushed or bowed and bags ripped by jubilee clamps put on too tight.

STLIPIPER
04-09-07, 09:19 PM
If you have not yet found the black cable bundlers, you can always find them not only in black but a variety of colors at Radio Shack.

acadianpiper
04-09-07, 11:09 PM
If you have not yet found the black cable bundlers, you can always find them not only in black but a variety of colors at Radio Shack.

There are only a handful of stores left in Canada that operate under the name Radio Shack. Most changed their name to The Source because of some legal problem with the Radio Shack name. They still sell the same merchandise as Radio Shack.

Dollar stores are also a great place to find nylon cable ties. You can often get a pack of 100 or more multicoloured ties for a dollar or two.

Lisa
04-09-07, 11:48 PM
I finally found some black cable ties... at A Buck or Two! $1 for a whole lot of multi-colour, multi-sized ties! Yes, there were black ones in there too!

I did check Radio Shack (now the Source) and couldn't find any in there either... Walmart, Home Depot, they had every colour but black.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice :) You guys are great!

Piper06
05-09-07, 01:01 AM
My pipes came set up with the black cable ties that have loosed up over the past year. I just tied them off with black waxed hemp, and it looks good and holds tight. I my rewrap them with hemp, and remove the cable ties.

I worked in Electronics for a long time, including a stint in an engineering development lab. I had to build the prototypes. The best way to remove them is to cut about mid way on the head, the big part that holds the strap. This way you won't cut your drone chords and it will spring it open. :Ceith:

true_blue_piper
05-09-07, 01:08 AM
yeeugh....I wish these plastic ties had never been invented.
Cheap and nasty.....everytime I see them I just think that the person who used them to "tie" his cords on....was too lazy to sew them on.

Piper Mac
05-09-07, 01:35 AM
I agree, sewed on looks best, done right, you can't even see the thread. One alternative if you have to change cords alot, like for band and solo, etc. Sew one side of the drone cord and use a rubber O ring on the other, not as good as sewn on but it holds and easy to change. Many of the cords have tassels that you can remove and put back on, have to have this option to get the O rings onto the cords. Not too hard to slide the O rings over the two cords, but kinda tough, if not impossible, to get it over the tassels!
If you do use the cable ties, tie them at '10 to 2' instead of 'quarter to 3' so those cable ties aren't as noticeable(from the front at least).

Lisa
05-09-07, 09:35 PM
My cable ties aren't noticable at all.... I have really small ones, and after I've tightened them on.. I clip the plastic end that sticks out..... can't even see 'em :)

Next time though.. I'll give the waxed black hemp a try.

fprintf
01-10-07, 07:56 PM
My PM insists that cords are tied on rather than w/ cable ties. I agree that the plastic just looks horrible, no matter how neatly tucked, colored or otherwise arranged.

Bobby
02-10-07, 01:25 PM
My PM insists that cords are tied on rather than w/ cable ties.

Then let him tie them on. :gah: :rotf:

I used to tie them on with coloured thread. They inevitably came loose or undone just when you didn't want them to.

Now I use small coloured cable ties. practically invisible to observers.

redneck
02-10-07, 05:16 PM
yeeugh....I wish these plastic ties had never been invented.
Cheap and nasty.....everytime I see them I just think that the person who used them to "tie" his cords on....was too lazy to sew them on.

Correct, that's why a use the fine cable ties...............can't see 'em at all if yer no bein' a nosey bassa. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The fine ones are good though, just as neat and as invisible as stitched on cords, if not better.......ya ever seen ma stitchin'???????:rotf: .

:Ceith: :tommy:

redneck
02-10-07, 05:19 PM
Just had a horrible thought there..............Redneck is all fer a new idea.......Hmmmmmmm, that's progress.

@TBP, a don't even mind the big holes ya hate in the McCallum chanter either. :rotf:

:Ceith: :tommy:

acadianpiper
02-10-07, 07:16 PM
One alternative if you have to change cords alot, like for band and solo, etc. Sew one side of the drone cord and use a rubber O ring on the other, not as good as sewn on but it holds and easy to change.

The problem with rubber O-rings is that they deteriorate, especially when exposed to the sun, and are likely to let go at embarrassing moments. This also happens with the O-rings used as bridles on synthetic drone reeds even though they are not exposed to the sun. I don't use them on my cords, but I've had two deteriorate and break on my drone reeds after only a year of use. They're easy enough to replace on the reeds and I carry a couple of spares in my pipe case, but they'd be tricky to replace quickly on the drone cords. Like Bobby, I use small nylon cable ties coloured to match my cords. They are virtually invisible and unbreakable.

Stormy
02-10-07, 11:31 PM
For many years cords were tied to the drones with ordinary yellow hemp.
This would eventually become loose and needed replaced.
Cable ties are much longer lasting, give a much better grip and can be "colour coded" to suit the cords making them virtually invisible.

Sewing on cords may be near perfect but you risk cutting the cords of you have to change them. Usually your local bagpipe is not open when you cut the cords and need a new sat quickly! What then?

Changing cords, as I do often to suit my attire, is much quicker and easier using very small electrical cable ties.

texaspiper1987
08-10-07, 02:12 PM
I use pipe cleaners in the same color as my drone cord.

It's easy to take them on and off and they don't slip like plastic ties.

acadianpiper
08-10-07, 10:05 PM
I use pipe cleaners in the same color as my drone cord.

It's easy to take them on and off and they don't slip like plastic ties.

I hadn't thought of using pipe cleaners. Presumably, you cut them to an appropriate shorter length. How do you avoid problems with the needle-sharp wire in the centre of the pipe cleaner? Isn't there a danger that it could puncture a synthetic bag if it came in contact with it in the pipe box, or that it could put a nasty scratch on a drone as the pipes get jostled around in the box?

Nylon cable ties don't slip if they are pulled tight. I use the folding pliers in the small multitool I carry in my pipe case to pull them tight, then cut them off as close to the square box part as possible and sand the end lightly to remove any sharp corners that might catch on the bag cover or do other damage when the pipes are dismantled in the case.

texaspiper1987
08-10-07, 10:17 PM
Yes, I trim them back to a good length so I don't have much excess.

When I tie them off, I fold the ends back over on themselves so that the sharp ends of the pipe cleaners aren't exposed.