PDA

View Full Version : THREAD CLOSED-Air-efficient setup

selpiper
14-09-07, 11:15 AM
I had a few lessons with Jori Chisholm in June and tried his set of silver Naills.

I was amassed of how easy his pipes are. Still good chanter and drone volume but the pipes kind of played themselves with minimal effort.

How to set up the pipes to be so air-efficient?

I think it boils down to the following check-list:
- Is bag completely airtight
- Correct bag-size
- Is blowstick valve airtight
- Is all hemped joints airtight
- Drone reeds use minimal air
- Chanter reed use minimal air

I think the last is very important and probably the most difficult. To find a stable easy blowing chanter reed with good volume and a good scale.

Any comments - suggestions?

Thanks,
Søren.

phyx
14-09-07, 11:52 AM
I've a comment....I wish I could get a few lessons from Jori Chisholm. That must've been worth every penny!

pipingconnections
14-09-07, 01:54 PM
I had a few lessons with Jori Chisholm in June and tried his set of silver Naills.

I was amassed of how easy his pipes are. Still good chanter and drone volume but the pipes kind of played themselves with minimal effort.

- Correct bag-size

I think the last is very important and probably the most difficult. To find a stable easy blowing chanter reed with good volume and a good scale.

Thanks,
Søren.

Maintenance is the Key
Theres not enough maintenance taught
whats the point in sitting over the winter months learning new tunes when you come to the pipes they are falling to pieces :gah::gah:

Oh Williams are making a good reed just now:Ceith:
Ive got a few in stock if you want some!!!

Piper of Rose
14-09-07, 02:08 PM
Drone reeds on minimal air flow. That is one of the main keys. Pipe maintenance is another. Bag size is only good for the one using it. So Jori's bag size is good for him. Yours is good for you. Not relative.

Terrance
14-09-07, 05:20 PM

- Correct bag-size

Thanks,
Søren.

It could be the silver...one last hard surface for the sound to bounce off of as it departs the pipes. :rotf:

If your asking for advice from this forum..then you are desperately in need of another lesson. :rotf:

selpiper
14-09-07, 05:59 PM
It could be the silver...one last hard surface for the sound to bounce off of as it departs the pipes. :rotf:

If your asking for advice from this forum..then you are desperately in need of another lesson. :rotf:

Great advice - I'm really happy that I started this thread.
This is the kind of great advice you won't get in other forums.
That's why I keep checking this forums several times a day.

Flight tickets and lessons booked - silver mounts ordered.

Please close thread! No need for more suggestions and comments.

SDowns
14-09-07, 06:17 PM
Søren,

First, I have a question. Does Jori use any type of drone air-flow restrictors?

Here's how I'd do it if I were to move towards an easier setup.

1) Check my current setup and make sure everything is reasonably tight.

2) Get an easy reed that works well in my chanter and provides the tone I am seeking.

3) Start optimizing the drone reeds by moving the bridle and any plugs to achieve balance and an easy strike in.

4) Change drone reeds as necessary to achieve desired result.

The issue with the correct bag size would be relevant (IMO) whether or not you are looking to create the ultimate, air-efficient system.

Personally, I think my current setup is rather easy. My drone reeds strike in with a little tap and with a little more pressure I am blowing my medium chanter reed comfortably.

So it may be all this is relative to the individual.

SDowns
14-09-07, 06:20 PM
Gosh....I hope we can be of some help.
While I like being amused, I also like learning and sharing information that is relevant. :bananadancer:

Scarlet O'Hair
14-09-07, 06:28 PM
thread Closed