PDA

View Full Version : Alasdair Gillies at Oban-2007

Piper Mac
20-09-07, 10:14 AM
Link removed, failed, Thanks to Curt for getting it right...........

See below for you tube........

Piper Mac
20-09-07, 10:40 AM
Sorry, folks, was trying to link to you tube, 2007 Oban and Alasdair Gillies great performance. How lucky we are as a band to have him as our instructor.........

Maybe the mods can fix the link...Thanks

Curt
20-09-07, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbZ-lBIWKtc

Piper of Rose
20-09-07, 03:32 PM
Its nice to see one of my students doing so well. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

The most metaled piper in the world. Wow. Its still hard to get used to the new Allistar. I wonder if losing the weight had any effect on his piping.

PowerBoozer007
20-09-07, 09:11 PM
How lucky we are as a band to have him as our instructor.........

It comes down to all the same hard work!

Piper Mac
20-09-07, 09:11 PM
Thanks Curt for helping me out, appreciate that, hope things are going well up at Nemacolin...........

PR, I would venture a guess, based on results this year, such as Oban, that Alasdair has not lost a step......

Stormy
22-09-07, 12:03 PM
March:-
Good clean fingerwork.
Nicely set chanter with a clear sound.
Drones slightly unsteady.
A slightly quicker tempo may have helped expression.

Strathspey:-
Runs a bit rushed at times and could be more open.
Drones beginning to settle.
Nice tempo and played with lift.

Reel:-
Break into reel tempo built up in first two bars. Change in tempo should be immediate. A better reel may have helped here.
Drones now settled and sounding nice and steady.

Overall a good performance well played on a nice instrument.

Ok, what do you think?

Dai Robb
22-09-07, 12:37 PM
Would a drummers comments be editied out?

Piper Mac
22-09-07, 01:14 PM
I think, and I may be wrong, but I think, he won at Oban......

Curt
22-09-07, 01:47 PM
Considering that was Stormy, that may be the highest of complements. Alasdair did win at Oban with that performance.

I would give my opinion, but truthfully am not qualified to do so. I enjoyed the performance and will humbly leave it at that.

Thanks for finding that clip. I wouldn't have seen it and I have not had the pleasure of going to a major competition like that in person. Was interesting to see the setting and how quiet and nice it was there.

The Glenfiddich is up next. I believe in late October. Sure would love to get to an event like that some day. Course the dollar doesn't go very far over there, so I may have to sleep on the streets.

Curt
22-09-07, 01:50 PM
Reel:-
Break into reel tempo built up in first two bars. Change in tempo should be immediate.

Is this true in solo play? I thought each tune would be built up to tempo in an MSR? Please correct me if I am wrong, just seems that is how I hear things from the better pipers? Is band play different?

Stormy
22-09-07, 08:52 PM
Is this true in solo play? I thought each tune would be built up to tempo in an MSR? Please correct me if I am wrong, just seems that is how I hear things from the better pipers? Is band play different?

My own preference is for an immediate change in tempo for both solo and band competitions.
Concerts are a different matter.
As I said, only my own preference.

Curt
24-09-07, 04:58 AM
My own preference is for an immediate change in tempo for both solo and band competitions.
Concerts are a different matter.
As I said, only my own preference.

Aye, I suppose the judges and I have a different preference. I suppose you are much more of a band player than soloist.

Enjoy