PDA

View Full Version : Bannatyne bag zipper

Nowan
11-10-07, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I've recently switched to a smaller bannatyne zipper bag, which is working out great fro me, except for one small issue.

Sometimes, so not always, my left thumb and index finger start tingeling after a while. I _think_ it's because of the zipper on the bag, which might some sort of block a nerve...

I heard someone else with a bannatyne talk about a similar problem.

If this is true, i just get a solution for this, because nerve-blocking can get out of hand... and i wouldn't want that to happen.

So... anyone with similar issues / experiences/ bags / solutions ...?

Cheers

-Gertje

Bobby
11-10-07, 04:16 PM
what bag did you have before?

Because I install bags of different sizes and types for allot of people, I see that each bag puts your hands in a different position. IF it's not a position you are used to or comfortable with, your wrists and fingers will be stressed and can possibly lead to what you are describing. try loosening your grip, and adjusting the length of your blowpipe to put your hands back in a positon you are used to and comfortable with.

redneck
11-10-07, 06:08 PM
IMO the zip should be nowhere near your positioning on the bag, posted a wee tip a year or so back here ref' the chanter position.

Change the chanter stock over for a blowpipe stock, this is much shorter than the standard chanter stock.

Reason:- the blowpipe stock will raise your final hand placement on the chanter giving you a more comfortable playing position. ( less distance to stretch, less strain on the wrist groping down lower to cover the chanter. )

:Ceith: :tommy:

texaspiper1987
11-10-07, 06:59 PM
I was having problems with a sore arm after playing for awhile. I was playing a Large Bannatyne...which was way too big for me.

Given my body structure and height, I used Jim McGillivray's table on bag sizing and decided an "extended small" would be the right size for me. I tried it and it was perfect.

Nowan
11-10-07, 08:03 PM
I originally wanted an extended small too, from ross.

But those aren't easy to get here, so i got a small bannatyne.

I was playing a medium shepherd before.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look into Rednecks' idea about replacing the chanter stock...

I absolutely love the small bag-feeling though, my stance has also improved, not as cramped anymore... almost relaxed!! :bg:

Weird thing is, i don't have it every time i play...

Cheers

-Gertje

heatherbelle
11-10-07, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look into Rednecks' idea about replacing the chanter stock...

I absolutely love the small bag-feeling though, my stance has also improved, not as cramped anymore... almost relaxed!! :bg:

-Gertje

I had the smallest Canmore bag and still found it too big, so switched to the smallest Bannatyne and find it much better but still would like the chanter to be a little higher for a comfortable position, so I too am going to try Redneck's suggestion. I've not noticed where the zip is located when I play, but will check that out. Interesting point.

Bobby
11-10-07, 08:27 PM
In my case, going from an L&M bag (which has a longer neck tham most) to any of the synthetics raised my hands, putting my arm, wrist and most importantly my thumb and forefinger in what was for me an awkward and painfull position. I had to extend my blowpipe to compensate and put it all more or less back in place.

Piper Mac
11-10-07, 09:19 PM
IMO the zip should be nowhere near your positioning on the bag, posted a wee tip a year or so back here ref' the chanter position.

Change the chanter stock over for a blowpipe stock, this is much shorter than the standard chanter stock.

Reason:- the blowpipe stock will raise your final hand placement on the chanter giving you a more comfortable playing position. ( less distance to stretch, less strain on the wrist groping down lower to cover the chanter. )

Redneck, hope this isn't too dumb a question, best to buy an additional blowpipe stock or just switch the chanter and blowpipe stock?

redneck
11-10-07, 09:28 PM
You could do either my friend. IMO, no question is dumb.........how in the name of god are we to learn or seek advice if we don't ask.

The way I'd do it m8 would be to just switch 'em over.

There is a slight draw back here, now yer mouthpiece'll be oot the back a yer neck..........:rotf: . Just get a smaller/shorter mouthpiece this will compensate for the longer stock being used in-place of your original stock, or, if yer a handyman, shorten the wooden part of your blowpipe. Getting a shorter plastic mouthpiece is the most cost effective way though.

BTW, this does work, trust me on this one.

texaspiper1987
12-10-07, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't even have to do that as I've got a FlexiStik and can adjust the length of my blowpipe :D

selpiper
12-10-07, 04:16 PM
The shorter blowpipe stock could, depending on the difference in length, change the low hand tuning on your chanter. The larger difference in length between the 2 stocks the larger effect.

I was told this by a wellknown bagepipe maker from US.

Bobby
12-10-07, 04:27 PM
That's interesting. Never heard or considered that before. Would make an interesting experiment for someone.

redneck
12-10-07, 04:33 PM
The shorter blowpipe stock could, depending on the difference in length, change the low hand tuning on your chanter. The larger difference in length between the 2 stocks the larger effect.

I was told this by a wellknown bagepipe maker from US.

Disagree m8, the tuning is done via the reed seat, the final positioning of your lower hand is a lot more comfortable though with the shorter stock.

The chanter IMO could be put into a 2ft stock 'n not be affected by the overall length, the adjustment is done ( as you well know ) by the position in the reed seat.

You test the reed via mouth blowing, right?, yer not gonna get any shorter distance than that.

Sorry m8, but that argument doesn't hold any viability wi me.

selpiper
12-10-07, 05:01 PM
Disagree m8, the tuning is done via the reed seat, the final positioning of your lower hand is a lot more comfortable though with the shorter stock.

The chanter IMO could be put into a 2ft stock 'n not be affected by the overall length, the adjustment is done ( as you well know ) by the position in the reed seat.

You test the reed via mouth blowing, right?, yer not gonna get any shorter distance than that.

Sorry m8, but that argument doesn't hold any viability wi me.

Yes, correct Iain. I wouldn't expect it should have any effect at all. But this was what I was told: Smaller bore or shorter length = flat low hand. But only way to find out is to tie in the blowpipe stock! Time for some experimenting!

Stormy
12-10-07, 05:39 PM
Yes, correct Iain. I wouldn't expect it should have any effect at all. But this was what I was told: Smaller bore or shorter length = flat low hand. But only way to find out is to tie in the blowpipe stock! Time for some experimenting!

If you are talking about drones / stocks then this is incorrect. The result would in fact be sharper.
Chanter sound has nothing to do with this.
The sound from the chanter starts with the vibrating of the reed. The distance between the air entering the bag from the blowpipe and then causing the chanter reed to vibrate is of no concern. The old "swan neck" bags confirm this.

Bobby
12-10-07, 05:42 PM
serious question:

why would a shorter stock make a drone sharper? The distance from the reed to the drone has not changed?

Stormy
12-10-07, 05:59 PM
why would a shorter stock make a drone sharper? The distance from the reed to the drone has not changed?

You're correct, it makes no difference. Some would appear to have been informed otherwise.....

I was told this by a well known bagepipe maker from US.

selpiper
12-10-07, 05:59 PM
Maybe Dave Atherton is pulling my leg. You knows? But I kind of believe him - he has more knowledge of making bagpipes than I do - besides he has about 100 kilos more mucles than I do!!!

Stormy
12-10-07, 06:08 PM
Maybe Dave Atherton is pulling my leg. You knows? But I kind of believe him - he has more knowledge of making bagpipes than I do - besides he has about 100 kilos more mucles than I do!!!

Suit yourself, I can only provide 40 years playing experience.