PDA

View Full Version : What Tune Do You Play?

piper_jeff17
09-05-06, 11:51 PM
i am just wondering for you piper's out there...
What tune(s) do you play for funerals?
Of course ill play what ever the famly wants but what if they want you to pick...

I use to always pick Flowers of the forest, but now i play the Canadian Lement for the fallen by P/M John Cairns... i like this tune because it also reminds me of solders who fell for there country... and also i am a solder...

Jamesinator
10-05-06, 12:23 AM
I usually play flowers of the forrest during the ceremony, unless they request something else, and when they want me to play outside as everyone is coming in/out of the building, I usually play some 3/4 marches.

piper_jeff17
10-05-06, 02:53 AM
If the family wants me to pick tunes...
When they take the remains in the church/building ill play a slow 6/8 (Mist Coverd Mountans, Skye Boat Song, My Home, or going home)
Since most of the funerals i play are for Military/ Legionares ill play the Canadian Lement for the fallen for the Last Post
than a nother 6/8 for the remains out the church.

@ the grave site: taking the remains from the herse ill play Marches
Lowering the remains, Most people wants me to play Amazing Grace (Even though I HATE THAT TUNE!)
And marches leaving the grave site.

An claidheamh soluis
12-05-06, 10:48 AM
We all have our little dislikes and mine is funerals. I've only ever played one and I will do whatever is required to get out of them. Fortunately there's always someone in the band to whom I can sell my soul to get them to take on the funeral.

piper_dancer
14-05-06, 10:34 PM
I play Flowers of the Forest....sometime the family wants highland cathedral....and of course amazing grace

If I get to pick I play Fair Jean, its a nice lamentish one. It's pretty.

Stormy
25-05-06, 05:26 PM
I would tend to play slow airs unless requested otherwise.
As the cortege (sp?) approaches the site then Mist Covered Mountains, Going Home are appropriate.
As the coffin is lowered into the grave maybe Highland Cradle Song.
As the mourners depart then a selection of airs - Skye Boat Song, My Home, Going Home etc etc.

Flowers of theForest and Amazing Grace, again only if requested but that is only my personal preference. Military funerals both here and in Canada will /may have a set procedure so you just fit in with that as requested.

This may sound harsh but from a playing point of view a funeral is just like a wedding, they are both ceremony's at which you have been asked to play. The more you do, the more experience you gain and the more adept you become in these situations. Hope this makes sense.

piper_jeff17
25-05-06, 05:55 PM
I agree to that!
even though is i not really nice to say... but it is true!

rpeitzsch
25-05-06, 06:37 PM
Gee, none of you mentioned the tune that my Mom wanted played at my father's interment: The Black Bear. We convinced her to wait until it was over to have it played, and the piper did. She wanted it to be a celebration of a life well-lived, not a sorrowful affair.

Stormy
25-05-06, 10:00 PM
Gee, none of you mentioned the tune that my Mom wanted played at my father's interment: The Black Bear.

Gee, The Black Bear is not exactly a funeral march!!!
As as been said previously......unless specifically requested!!

Riperpiper
26-05-06, 12:01 AM
Highland Cathedral, Loch Rannoch, Leaving Lismore, Highland Cradle Song, Fair Maid of Barra, Caillinn mo Ruinsa are all ones I often use when the choice of tune has been left to me.

I much prefer playing for funerals rather than for weddings these days.
It's a great privelege to be able to provide a wonderful memory for people just at a very private and poignant moment in their lives. I find many weddings these days are too fussy, over-hyped occasions. Just my experience.. (That'll probably provoke some interesting reactions!)

piper_jeff17
26-05-06, 05:43 AM
Gee, The Black Bear is not exactly a funeral march!!!
As as been said previously......unless specifically requested!!

I had Black Bear requested to me before at a funeral

piper_jeff17
26-05-06, 05:45 AM
Highland Cathedral, Loch Rannoch, Leaving Lismore, Highland Cradle Song, Fair Maid of Barra, Caillinn mo Ruinsa are all ones I often use when the choice of tune has been left to me.

I much prefer playing for funerals rather than for weddings these days.
It's a great privelege to be able to provide a wonderful memory for people just at a very private and poignant moment in their lives. I find many weddings these days are too fussy, over-hyped occasions. Just my experience.. (That'll probably provoke some interesting reactions!)

Actually I agree!
Funerals they are shorter... the faster you can go to the pub
Weddings... they like to linger on till the wee nights... and you have to be sober...

true_blue_piper
26-05-06, 09:46 AM
If the deceased happened to be somebody you weren't in good terms with, there's always....

"The Ass in the Graveyard" :wink:

Joe
17-06-06, 10:35 PM
Flowers of the Forest, and Dark Island are the ones i usualy play. But more than likley i get asked to play things like Amazing Grace, Highland Cathedral.

Ive dont really enjoy playing at funerals. Very sad even if you dont know the person.

You may work harder at weddings but they are defently alot more fun!!

piper_jeff17
18-06-06, 09:54 PM
I had Black Bear requested to me before at a funeral

Of course he was in the 2RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment of Canada) and he wanted it played at his funeral

AlistairFyfe
18-06-06, 10:44 PM
Traditionally Black Bear was played as 'the return to barracks' so I guess some would argue it is suitable for a funeral!

If you get my drift.

Craig m
18-06-06, 11:13 PM
I play, Mist Covered mountains, Dark Island, flower of the forest, for ireland, and a couple 3/4's sumwhere

craig m

PowerBoozer007
19-06-06, 05:47 AM
This may sound harsh but from a playing point of view a funeral is just like a wedding...

I've always said this as in either case the poor fellow's life is over! :bg:

true_blue_piper
19-06-06, 06:29 AM
I've always said this as in either case the poor fellow's life is over! :bg:

LOL.....I'll second that !

redneck
19-06-06, 06:22 PM
I play, Mist Covered mountains, Dark Island, flower of the forest, for ireland, and a couple 3/4's sumwhere

craig m

Craig m8, that tune for Ireland!!!!!...........is that for Ireland I'll not tell her name? if it is could ya send me the music, I played that years ago 'n would love to resurrect (excuse the pun, this bein' a funeral type thread :devil: lol) the tune.