PDA

View Full Version : Hello to the forum

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 04:03 PM
Katie said I needed to introduce myself - so "Hello forum." I am not a real regular to this but do enjoy looking around for ideas and tips, not really as a "message board" per se, but for gathering and sharing information. I am also a member of the Dunsire forum and don't go there much either!! I play in the Father of Waters band from Mississippi (as Pipe Sergeant)and also in the last two years, the Alabama Pipes and Drums from the B'ham area. I love piping and have only been playing the GHB since 2001, starting the pc in 2000. As a long-time clarinet player, when I moved to this tiny town in 1988, I just about had to give up music alltogether because of the proximity to anything musical other than singing in church (which I still do). In a nutshell, a friend of a friend of a friend suggested I learn the pc, I stuck it out, and now so glad I kept up with it, though at times I almost threw the whole thing in the trash!! (I probably would have except for the large financial investment involved, but especially the people - the people is what kept me going in the long run. My husband and sons support me in all my endeavours, sacrificing a lot of time so I can go pipe all over the place. I have been to Balmoral Piping school, once in PA and once in KY, and hope to return. I am looking into taking some online lessons next year and have actually competed in Sr. Grade 4 Piob, winning a first and a third place medal. I am not looking to change my grade status, just keep improving and having a great time. I and a group from the band are going to the workshops in Shreveport, LA again next February for the Red River Worshops (my 5th year in a row) to study under Jim McGillivray, Ken Eller, Angus McCall, Jack Lee and Rob Crabtree. It is a fun and intense three days of piping and renewing friendships. For the money, you can' t beat it!!

Check out our band website sometimes: www.fatherofwaters.com and you may see a few people on there whose names are familiar.

Katie - still trying to find your bww for Henderson's Reel - I can't seem to find it either. Might want to contact MacRae.

:battingeyes: Zoe

KatieMc
24-11-07, 04:24 PM
:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2:

I'm so glad you're here, Zoe! Pull up a chair and visit whenever you have a minute, this is a friendly bunch! :kait:

See you Friday night! :hug:

Scarlet O'Hair
24-11-07, 04:26 PM
:welcomepbf: Glad to see you here!

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 04:31 PM
Yes, I was hoping to join in a discussion or two. I chimed in on the Christmas set thread and added some tunes to the mix. I can't tell when a post comes in though, newbie and all that.

Friday starts a real big series of piping/church commitments so will be really busy from that day until NYD I think. I have to go back to work the next day (Jan 2nd) but the guys get one more day off than I do - oh well.

Hope you can find your new tune - doesn't Richard have it along with the pdf? I am not familiar with that one. I searched a good many of my sources and didn't see it anywhere except snippets on cds you could buy.

No piping today - leaving to go see niece ride her horse in the local ring.

bfn, Zoe

Vikki
24-11-07, 04:38 PM
hi zoe :welcome2:
nice to have you join us.
I'm Vikki, drum major for SFU from Northern Ireland. Been competing since 1995 and got a fair few achievements under my belt over the years, although I'm by no means the best out there.
Any probs just shout and we're happy to help!

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 04:45 PM
Hey, I appreciate you responding to my post. I hope to make some new "online friends" as I pursue this insane music world called piping (and drumming). Know where we can get some drummers??? Ha - we have two but they are so unreliable we do what we can when we perform. In this "piping wasteland" we live in (central Mississippi) we are surrounded by states that have some real descent pipe bands, but we can't keep drummers. The Christmas parade we are doing December 1st may have a tenor drummer in the mix, so we aren't actully marching, but playing on a flatbed trailer pulled my one of the member's friends. Agh!!

Again, thanks for chiming in and I plan on staying around awhile to see what I can find.

:notes: Zoe

Robbie.Crow
24-11-07, 04:46 PM
Pay for my flight to mississippi.. ill play!!!

welcome..... im the sane one :)

enjoy!

Vikki
24-11-07, 04:49 PM
robbie means he's the insane one

Robbie.Crow
24-11-07, 04:51 PM
The voices in my head tell me im sane..

KatieMc
24-11-07, 04:53 PM
Oh yeah, Zoe.... I forgot to warn, um, I mean tell, you about Robbie. :bg: He is our resident clown. Some may consider him a pest, but I think he does have many endearing qualities. :rotf: (Love ya, Robs!)

Robbie, Honey, if I thought you'd stay I'd bring you over. Think your mum would give you up for adoption??

Gosh what did I just say? We really ARE desperate for drummers! :rotf: :rotf:

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:00 PM
Pay for my flight to mississippi.. ill play!!!

welcome..... im the sane one :)

enjoy!
Wish I could - you could stay awhile and show us how real drumming sounds!!

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah, Zoe.... I forgot to warn, um, I mean tell, you about Robbie. :bg: He is our resident clown. Some may consider him a pest, but I think he does have many endearing qualities. :rotf: (Love ya, Robs!)

Robbie, Honey, if I thought you'd stay I'd bring you over. Think your mum would give you up for adoption??

Gosh what did I just say? We really ARE desperate for drummers! :rotf: :rotf:
Have you got an extra bedroom for him??? We need to have him stay for at least a year!!

Itchyknee
24-11-07, 05:02 PM
Run Forest!

But seriously, welcome to the forum. I'm not a drummer or a drum major and I haven't won anything in my life........ever.

:party:

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:04 PM
robbie means he's the insane one
Yes, it appears so. Sounds like a 16-year old. Ah, wish I could have been piping at that age - I might actually be good by now!!

KatieMc
24-11-07, 05:04 PM
Have you got an extra bedroom for him??? We need to have him stay for at least a year!!

I do!! He could be Stephen's little brother!! :rotf:

Run Forest!

But seriously, welcome to the forum. I'm not a drummer or a drum major and I haven't won anything in my life........ever.

And we love you in spite of that, Itchy... or maybe because of it!! :bg:

KatieMc
24-11-07, 05:05 PM
Yes, it appears so. Sounds like a 16-year old. Ah, wish I could have been piping at that age - I might actually be good by now!!

You ARE good! You're the best we've got!!!!

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:07 PM
Run Forest!

:party:
I haven't really either if you get right down to it - both were at non-sanctioned games, but I wanted to play for a "real judge" who could give me tips. Actually it was my ever first stab at a piob - Lament for Donald of Laggan. Nice piob but doubt I will ever go beyond the "ground" unless I had more time to devote to piping. Being a wife, mother and part-time employee, who has time for piob anyway!! lol

Thanks for the welcome - I feel at home already and I just signed in.

Robbie.Crow
24-11-07, 05:07 PM
just make sure i've got food and water.. and ill come over :bg:

there might be a slight problem when it comes to both of us trying to get onto pbf.. but we can sort that out... (that means i can put a password on the internet browser :rotf:)

Itchyknee
24-11-07, 05:09 PM
I do!! He could be Stephen's little brother!! :rotf:

And we love you in spite of that, Itchy... or maybe because of it!! :bg:

Aw, I'm touched. I did once win a football in a raffle.

reminds me of a joke.

An Irish man walks into a bar with a pig under his arm. The barman says "where did you get that?" and the pig replies "I won him in a raffle!"

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:12 PM
You ARE good! You're the best we've got!!!!
I guess for now I am allright. Enjoying the challenge anyway. I really need this piping cruise upcoming to get me "going" again. I read a post a few days ago from someone who was really down about her playing (not sure who it was actually - middle age dementia!!!) and I could relate as back a few years ago I was in her shoes. But I do need regular inspiration to keep going along with my other hectic schedule. That is why I am hoping to speak to KE one on one during the cruise to see about lessons.

I see e-mail about the parade coming from our manager so will check that out now.

Again, thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome on the forum!!

mlf
24-11-07, 05:14 PM
Hi Zoe, welcome to pbf. I don't know anything about pipes or drums but the good folk let me stay anyway. I'm sort of the willing forum slave (um, that doesn't sound right does it :bg:) so if you need anything just shout and i'll do my best.
Ps, please don't squish my bug like Katie did. :rotf:

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:18 PM
just make sure i've got food and water.. and ill come over :bg:

there might be a slight problem when it comes to both of us trying to get onto pbf.. but we can sort that out... (that means i can put a password on the internet browser :rotf:)
Hey, my dogs get food and water!! I could do you one better. My younger son is 16 and was "in" to drums last year - got him a big trap set and it is gathering dust. I can't sell it on e-bay because it is too big. I am going to take some photos and try to sell it local I guess. The seat alone was over $100.

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:19 PM
Hi Zoe, welcome to pbf. I don't know anything about pipes or drums but the good folk let me stay anyway. I'm sort of the willing forum slave (um, that doesn't sound right does it :bg:) so if you need anything just shout and i'll do my best.
I am not afraid, but don't even like bugs. I am nice, really. Katie shouldn't have squished your bug!!

KatieMc
24-11-07, 05:25 PM

Hey no problem... I have wireless so we can all be on at the same time. We could even have on-forum bottlecap wars like MacPiper and MacFlash do! :rotf:

An Irish man walks into a bar with a pig under his arm. The barman says "where did you get that?" and the pig replies "I won him in a raffle!"

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I read a post a few days ago from someone who was really down about her playing (not sure who it was actually - middle age dementia!!!) and I could relate as back a few years ago I was in her shoes.

Sure that wasn't me?! :bg:

But it was an accident... I thought it was a REAL bug crawling around on my computer!! :gah:

I am nice, really. Katie shouldn't have squished your bug!!

Hey, what're you saying? That I'm not nice?!?! :tap: Just playin', they know how I am around here! :kait: :cindy: :kait:

mlf
24-11-07, 05:29 PM
I am not afraid, but don't even like bugs. I am nice, really. Katie shouldn't have squished your bug!!

I like you already, these are for you. :flowers:

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:30 PM
I like you already, these are for you. :flowers:
Thanks for the posies!!

Forest Piper
24-11-07, 05:30 PM
Hey no problem... I have wireless so we can all be on at the same time. We could even have on-forum bottlecap wars like MacPiper and MacFlash do! :rotf:

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Sure that wasn't me?! :bg:

But it was an accident... I thought it was a REAL bug crawling around on my computer!! :gah:

Hey, what're you saying? That I'm not nice?!?! :tap: Just playin', they know how I am around here! :kait: :cindy: :kait:
No that isn't what I am saying - hey I am trying to figure out which key to push lol

Robbie.Crow
24-11-07, 05:34 PM
not the big red one

dharron
24-11-07, 08:15 PM
not the big red one
That's the one that zaps Robbie into oblivion. Only Scarlet can push that one!!!

Vikki
24-11-07, 09:50 PM
well if you need a drum major, pay for travel & accomodation, bit of spending money for good measure, feed me and buy my drinks... great. wouldnt mind gettin away for a bit

Pete Walen
25-11-07, 01:45 AM
I am much closer than Robbie. Not as good looking as Vikki (nor as young for that matter.)

Welcome to this interesting place. MLF, Scarlet, Vikki and most of the rest are alright. Some of the others are too, if they're regularly fed.... with beer.

KatieMc
25-11-07, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure how to take that.... :dunno:

dharron
25-11-07, 02:06 AM
I am, pass me a few, Pete...

Vikki
25-11-07, 02:18 PM
shall take that as a compliment pete! cheers

Scarlet O'Hair
25-11-07, 03:32 PM
Welcome to this interesting place. MLF, Scarlet, Vikki and most of the rest are alright. Some of the others are too, if they're regularly fed.... with beer. Ummm...alright? I thought I was your favourite redhairedpiper/tenordrummer? :puppydogeyes:

I'm not sure how to take that.... :dunno:

He loves us Katie, I just know he does! :hug:

shall take that as a compliment pete! cheers

When we were little, my parents went to see a Clint Eastwood movie. I can't remember which one, but my dad thought it was particularly hilarious afterward to say to my mom every now and again...."Lynn.....you're a brick"

Luv ya Pete! :woohoo:

Vikki
25-11-07, 03:36 PM
you're his fave redhaired piper/tenor drummer
i'm his fave DM! :bg: and not redhaired! Lol

phyx
26-11-07, 11:17 AM
Welcome!!! :woohoo:

janelleTG
27-11-07, 04:14 AM
Welcome Zoe, nice to meet you.

Bashful
27-11-07, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the forums!!!!! :bg:

:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2:

We're glad you could join us! Any questions/problems, just ask!!!

:welcomepbf:

Later,

B

Forest Piper
07-12-07, 10:58 PM
Welcome Zoe, nice to meet you.
Thanks - been off awhile so thought I would check the posts today while I had a minute to catch my breath. Lots of piping going on here for me despite living in a piping "wasteland" here is central Mississippi.

PowerBoozer007
08-12-07, 04:48 PM
Thanks - been off awhile so thought I would check the posts today while I had a minute to catch my breath. Lots of piping going on here for me despite living in a piping "wasteland" here is central Mississippi.

There's a few excellent instructors that teach over the internet if that helps?

Itchyknee
14-12-07, 11:36 PM
Welcome again Forest Piper!