PDA

View Full Version : I've a drum story for ya....

SDowns
29-11-07, 02:04 PM
The family across the street had two drummers. The father and son both played the drums for various bands.

The family went through a nasty little divorce and the father moved out. About a year or so after the father moved out, I saw the son moving drums to the curb. I went over there and asked what he was doing. He said he was putting the drums out for the garbage man to pick up. I asked if my son could have them and he said we could take them.

Well, we ended up with a complete set (cymbals, pedals, and all) of Ludwig Amber Vistalite drums - just like Jon Bonham's .

A couple of the heads were busted, but the drums cleaned up nicely and my son played the snare, bass, and cymbals for about a month before getting bored (go figure).

Anyway, I put one of the floor toms on ebay. A guy responded and asked if we had more drums. I sent him the pics, he ended up offering us $1300.00 for the lot.

I ended up giving the money to my son since they were "his" drums and he put it into his savings account. Not bad for drums we pulled from the refuse pile.

SO - now I can say I've made more money off drums than as a piper.

Heartbeat2k9
02-12-07, 01:19 AM
So it is true....

One man's *garbage* , is another man's Treasure.

Stig
04-12-07, 05:19 PM
The ludwig vistalites from the 70's are highly collectable drums with the amber being highly valuable because of the John Bonham connection. The only ones that fetch a higher price would be the green ones because there were so few sets ordered in that color that there aren't nearly as many in that solor as the others. $1300.00 is not a bad profit for something you picked up on the curb although depending on condition I have seen them go considerably higher. Nice sale.:bgt:

blythe
04-12-07, 05:47 PM
that's pretty sweet!

:bgt:

Piper of Rose
05-12-07, 03:01 AM
A story for Robbie.

The same man in this story was put on the curb with the set. He was taken in and cleaned up. They played with him for a month and got bored (he was a drummer). They put him on Ebay with the drum set. The set has sold...................... (he was a drummer)

KAILY
05-12-07, 05:39 PM
I have an old kit of silver Hayman Drums from the 1960`s ,they are a great set of drums with a terriffic sound, I also have a set of Paiste cymbals bought at the same time.They are in great condition but I doubt if I would get lots of cash for them, maybe 20 pence at a push for the lot!!!!!

Hayman and Ludwig were two of the top drum makers in the 1960/70 era. 1,300 dollars was a great price to get for something that was going to the "tip"

Kaily

LMC76
26-12-07, 07:50 PM
If those drums had been one of only 7 kits of very dark vista-lite type drums that Premier made back in the day that went into the biggest music stores in the UK as a promo, (ahem....never to be sold...but were.) well then my friend they would've fetched more than $1300.00 I can tell you that much. Premier, is actually looking for a set I believe. Ah the stuff that legends are made of. Only these did actually exist. The acrylic shells were so dark that at first glance the drums look black. Killer find anyway. Yes anyman's trash that are drums, are my treasure, specially if they're Premiers.

SancheA
26-12-07, 08:26 PM
Good Deal SDowns!And good for you giving the money back to your son!

SDowns
26-12-07, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys. These were not (whew) the dark orange drums mentioned.

My son never even talks about all that money sitting his savings account. He also has about as much in US Savings Bond...I don't think he realizes how much money he has stashed away.

It's probably a good thing though....one day he'll need that money.

SancheA
26-12-07, 09:07 PM
how old is your son?...(if ya dont mind me asking)

SDowns
27-12-07, 12:54 AM
He's 12. But we got the drums about two years ago.