PDA

View Full Version : What do you collect??

Scarlet O'Hair
14-05-06, 01:52 AM
Hi!!

I think I had this thread going at our old home, but thought I'd start it again here. I am a collector of sorts, and wonder what others might collect too!

I collect a few things.....here goes!!

Dalmatians (live or facsimile) dogs, posters, ornaments, yadda yadda yadda
Drummers (don't ask :battingeyes: )
Clocks (antique or replica)
Antique tins
Fire King milk glass (green)
Antique furniture and paraphenalia (sp)
wine......no wait....it doesn't count if you keep drinking it right????:wink:
angels lately....
ok, tattoos.....
knives (pen knives, jack knives etc)

So what do YOU collect??

Celtic Mitch
14-05-06, 03:06 AM
Good topic Carrie...I collect snow globes. The tackier the better, to date my most precious ones are The Taj Mahal, NYC with moving Staten Island Ferry and the Twin Towers in the background, San Francisco complete with moving cable car, calendar and coin bank.

I used to collect empty boxes but I don't do that any more, it was becoming quite a problem for my friends Ha Ha.

I also have a nice, but small collection of pipe band ties...Niagara & District, Erskine, Alberta Caledonia, Braemar and now Peel Regional Police. I am stilling waiting for my Cullybacky one to show up, I just know it will one day.

Tommy
14-05-06, 03:16 AM
Lead drummers!:bg:

*snickering at my own sick humor, here*

What I mean is lead as in Pb. Hand-painted lead soldier types, usually cast by "Britains Ltd."

I also collect;

Turn of the century military pipe band postcards.

Antique pocket watches, that I repair clean oil and adjust.

19th century items from the "old West"

I've also been accused by my lovely and comical wife of collecting dust on weekends.

Scarlet O'Hair
14-05-06, 03:17 AM
Hey...do the ties have to have some sort of ID on them? I can bring you a Sudbury tie to the next games if not....McComb ones are harder for me to come by! (leave it with me...Pennfana shush!!!:battingeyes: )

Scarlet O'Hair
14-05-06, 03:21 AM
Lead drummers!:bg:

Wow man, that's heavy.....(snicker) :cool:

you are just tooooo cute for words Darlin'!

Celtic Mitch
14-05-06, 03:41 AM
Musta missed something, but ya I'd be honoured to have a Sudbury tie! I also have a very old Clan MacFarlane wind breaker, apparently they are rare.

Scott Foster
14-05-06, 04:14 AM
I collect kitty's......Nar Nar, SGT Meowenstein, Finch the Pinch

Scarlet O'Hair
14-05-06, 04:27 AM
Musta missed something, but ya I'd be honoured to have a Sudbury tie!

Nope, well ok, maybe a bit...lead drummers and "lead (as heavy as) drummers????"

I will save "mai tai" for you!! Giggle...

Scarlet O'Hair
14-05-06, 04:58 AM
Hey Scott..the cobwebs have cleared...I remember the performance in Maxville beer tent......some wee trivia for you....Wes (when he played for 78th) took the time to explain how best to store my pipes in my box/carrier...he believed in golf club protectors at the time...he was a wee dolly to me and I'll never forget that...I had just started out...(this was in NorthBay (callander)

Later, I had an excellent piper join my band from Thunder Bay...he spent some time with one of the awesome bands there, and also with Queens U pipe band in Kingston......he got married a couple of years ago, and Wes was the piper at the wedding...(I had a wee bit to do with it) There was either a traffic issue or a weather issue, and Wes wasn't able to be there on time....I think Paully piped Karen in....then Wes joined him later...still...for many many reasons, the most memorable day of his life...

small world m8!!

PS...ifin you have any pics from that time that I might be part of, could you send them along???

sass jane
14-05-06, 08:41 AM
Wow...my personal collecting days are pretty much over due to my career, but my friends like to add to my collection....and I thank them muchly...

Frogs (since I've apparently 'grown up' I only bring home the replicas...not the breathing ones...)
Dragons
Practise chanters...didn't realize this till a few months when I acquired another and realized that I now have 6 or so...
angels lately
all manner of things that are orange :bg:
i've stopped acquiring kids...3 are enough...although I have a growing collection of "kids" that are not strictly related to me...

AlistairFyfe
14-05-06, 10:33 AM
I have been collecting Royal Copenhagen Porcelain for 30 years, but have started to cut back to stop the house resembling a china shop.

Also have the remains of a large collection of old tools, almost all of the collection inherited from a deceased relative who had a long history in the British Army (tank corps 1920-1945), Jaguar racing mechanic in the 1950s & steam engines 1960s. Also many tools from the communications industry (1930 - 1950) collected while at I was at work. (I did not work there 1930-1950 but 'collected' old tools from that period!)

I have started to give them away to people who can use them (vintage car & bus restorers mainly) as I believe these tools should really be used and they take up so much space in my garage.

Vikki
14-05-06, 10:43 AM
TY beanies (i'm a big kid!)
key rings
music merch for any band i like
i suppose i collect CDs.... or else i'm jst addictec to music
and stones (the nice coloured ones you buy for like 50p in some shops... sure there's a better name for them than stones)

tartaniac
14-05-06, 03:24 PM
Trouble.

(adding more words so it will post)

Scarlet O'Hair
14-05-06, 03:58 PM
Hell, I don't need to collect that, I'm in it all the time!! (just seems to follow me around :jeeze:)

Mom2Grace
14-05-06, 08:21 PM
Angels...as long as they don't look goofy.
Fairy's...because some people gave gifts which they thought were angels...lol

tartaniac
14-05-06, 08:45 PM
Hell, I don't need to collect that, I'm in it all the time!! (just seems to follow me around :jeeze:)

Well, it doesn't follow me. It actively runs out, hunts me down, and hog-ties me. And then I'm up to my neck in it. Dang-doodle.:bg:

phyx
15-05-06, 01:14 PM
Chess boards and pieces
Knives and blades of all kinds
Computers and parts (although I'm getting rid of lots of junk now)
Music
Movies
I'm sure there's other stuff, I just can't think of it right now.

Scarlet O'Hair
15-05-06, 03:22 PM
Oh! I forgot blue bunnies! :bg:

I get a blue bunny from Mr Scarlet every easter, and have done so for the last 20 years or so!

Bobby
15-05-06, 04:10 PM
Dust ! and cardboard boxes.....just look in my basement.:jeeze: :surrender: oh yea....and bills.....

In years gone by...computer parts, stamps, coins, antiques, antique clocks, ....pipeband ties - I'd still love to get one from FMM , SLOT, Ballycoan, Shott's, any band really..
I tried collecting swords for a bit.....bought a couple basket hilted swords, a Wilkinson Sword Elizabeth II gold plated Court sword, 1800's pattern british cavalry sword, replica William Wallace broadsword, ...way to expensive for a hobby and could never afford the ones I really wanted to have....sad...weep, weep...Anybody have any real Scottish regimental basket hilt swords please let me know....also looking for regimental dirks....

Piper of Rose
15-05-06, 05:18 PM
I have a wall that I wipe boogers on. Is that collecting?

Actually right now I collect instruments of all kinds. :bg:

Stormy
15-05-06, 05:50 PM
Scarlet, Sass and Mom2Grace...
As you all seem to collect "Angels" here's another for your collection.....

Scarlet O'Hair
15-05-06, 07:27 PM
Toooo cute!!!!!!:baby:

Stormy
15-05-06, 07:50 PM
I have a wall that I wipe boogers on.

AHAA!!! Now I know why I had to redecorate the spare bedroom after your visit!!! Next time I'll remember to leave you some tissues!!!
:vomit:

Stormy
15-05-06, 07:52 PM
Toooo cute!!!!!!:baby:

Cute maybe but the little angel has grown up!!!! :devil:

Piper of Rose
15-05-06, 08:07 PM
AHAA!!! Now I know why I had to redecorate the spare bedroom after your visit!!! Next time I'll remember to leave you some tissues!!!
:vomit:

Stormy,

I would never leave them on your wall. But check the shower!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:woohoo:

Itchyknee
15-05-06, 10:25 PM
I would never leave them on your wall. But check the shower!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:woohoo:

.....and under the table. :bg:

Stormy
15-05-06, 10:26 PM
...check the shower...

You swine, I always thought these tiles were meant to be smooth!!! :fu:

scotzchick
16-05-06, 02:15 PM
Ah, all I've ever collected in the past was wee teddy bears lol and keyrings, although I'm like Vikki in the sense that I can't seem to get enough music-related things. Only collection still ongoing is the keyrings

DoogieG
16-05-06, 05:08 PM
Girlies Telephone numbers!!!

( I do this by telling them theyve won a prize!!)

Dundee Piper
16-05-06, 05:14 PM
Ring Ring......Ring Ring
Girl : Hello ?
Doug : Hi There Is John Jackson from The International Lottery, just want to say you won $50, 000, 000.
Girl : Thats Great
Doug : So I Need Your Phone Number to Confirm your details
Girl : You Rang Me You Must Have It (Hang's Up Phone)

Doug : D`Oh

Jamesinator
16-05-06, 11:28 PM
chanters....i have 7 in my pipe case right now:bg:

tartaniac
17-05-06, 12:03 AM
is collecting like an addiction? being a drummer and having about a dozen different pairs of drum sticks... is that a collection or should I call the betty ford clinic?

Piper of Rose
17-05-06, 07:05 PM
Stormy,

Didn't you move? Or was it just remodling? Did you take the boogers with you? Or did you cover over them? I was just wondering if I could get them back. I do have a collection you know.

drummer_dancer
17-05-06, 08:32 PM
i used to collect TY Beanie Babies....i had soo many.
i guess i collect dancing medals??
i collect stars (dont ask)
ummm also pink lipgloss, and nail polish.
my worst addiction/collection is my dress collection...i can't stop buying dresses.
Damn, this post makes me sound like the biggest girlie girl on the planet.

piper_dancer
17-05-06, 09:24 PM
I used to collect Beanie Babies...and stuffed animals of all sorts...but that was like until I was 8 or so.
I now have a chanter collection (about 5 I think...)
I have a dancing shoe collection (lets see.....6 and a half pairs...)
I have a street shoe collection (hmm...1...2...3...4..hmm...13 pairs I think)
I have a Green Day CD collection...I don't have all of them yet.
I have an AC/DC CD collection....still not all of them
I have a Little Britain collection on my TV (all of season 1 and 2 recorded twice each I think)
I had an earring collection but I don't even wear earrings now
Same with Nail Polish.
And Lip gloss. I ended up giving it all to my sister.
That's all I can think of for now....

mlf
03-06-06, 11:07 PM
I collect stress from work.
Guitars and basses from my younger days.
Music cd's mp3's.
Music tabs especially by Flea (red hot chili pepper)
Any info about Subaru Impreza turbo ( i am a petrol head that mods one)
@piper dancer, what are you missing with ac/dc, i have all of them maybe i can upload here what you are missing.

Dai Robb
04-06-06, 11:58 AM
Friends
Bowling Club badges(hundreds of the bloody things everywhere)
Country Cds(especially Merle Haggard, Kenny Rodgers, Don Williams)
And at the moment Great grandchildren?? One established, another two due in July?

tartaniac
05-06-06, 05:47 AM
Can someone explain to me why country music is so popular in the UK? It's popular in the U.S., but pound for pound, more CDs in other genres are sold.

What is it about tin-eared music and whining geetars that appeals to a Brit?

My cousin is nuts over country music. Please, someone, 'splain it to Lucy.

Dai Robb
05-06-06, 09:34 AM
Quite simply my dear??? it lets us "lil ol folks" get out of ourselves, and think we are out on the range, herding the cattle?, Seriously from my point of view I just like the music, as I do of a number of Classical, Opera, Orchestra etc, if I like it I buy it.

Adam
05-06-06, 01:21 PM
I love country music too, can't explain why, just do. I have wads o' country LPs and CDs, I used to run a country music club in London with the missus, I used to play guitar & mandolin too in me old band the Sin City Drifters.
Redneck, if ye divnae' like snakeskin boots, look away now.
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/bagpipes_and_more/BLUEGRASSMANDO.jpg

Bobby
05-06-06, 02:27 PM
What do you get when you play a country western song backwards?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
You get your wife back, your dog back, and your job back. LOL

My parents loved country western music....we grew up listening to it all the time. As a result, I cringe whenever I hear it now.:mad: Strangely enough, I also grew up listening to old drinking songs and what passes for Irish and Scottish songs over here ( Irish Rovers, Careleton Showband, Andy whatsisname etc). I still like those for some reason. :bgt:

Dai Robb
05-06-06, 04:01 PM
My what a fine body of a?????, yes a fine body? like the old Bandana Tcheuter?, you look more like Mario Lanza in the Great Caruso though