PDA

View Full Version : Gannaway MCS

MacFire
19-12-07, 05:31 AM
I was looking at the Gannaway MCS and didn't find much info about it. Anyone have a lot of experience with this system? Doesit restrict airflow with that valve? How does the unit actually work? How does it fair against the Ross System?

Cheers

Bobby
19-12-07, 02:57 PM
GANNAWAY MOISTURE CONTROL SYSTEM (http://www.gannawaynz.com/700wmc.jpg) http://www.gannawaynz.com/700wmc.jpg (http://www.gannawaynz.com/bags.php#GANNAWAY MOISTURE CONTROL)
The Control System comes with two Filters and a donut shaped Sponge. The sponge collects the condensation and should be squeezed out about every half hour or as required.
Fit the sponge into the end of the cup leaving a gap between the sponge and filter which is necessary for unrestricted air flow.

In conjunction with the sponge, the filters will keep the reeds dry for long periods depending on climate and the individual. Changing the filter will extend the blowing time by almost as much again.
In dry conditions remove the filter leaving the sponge to collect the condensation.
Wet crystals will dry in a micro wave. Unscrew the end of the filter and tip crystals into a micro wave bowl. They will take two or three minutes to dry.
Crystals can be purchased from most supermarkets as kitty litter. Controlling the moist air to the chanter.
The small blue tube attached to the main tube takes moist warm air to the chanter area. On the tube, is a small tap for controlling the amount of air going to the chanter area.

I believe it attaches to the blowpipe stock.

I''ve not used it so can't say anything about its effectiveness in moisture control. I am wary of anything that controls air going into the bag and any possible restriction it may have on airflow going into the bag.

Reid
19-12-07, 03:20 PM
I'm a simple man. It looks to complicated for this kid.

PowerBoozer007
19-12-07, 08:08 PM
Anything that blocks the flow of air at the input is going to be restrictive!

The Ross system works in reverse, so much better at drying the air just before it hits the reeds.

Piper06
20-12-07, 02:00 AM
I have been using the system for a year. Since I am still fairly new, anything that would restrict my ability to blow would stand out. I love it. The valve only controls just how much moist air (before the cannister) that gets to your reed. I do not find it restrictive at all.

I am a very wet blower. I use a moose valve, and will still soak the cannister in two days of use if not changed out. I usually squeeze out the sponge every use, and swap out the cannisters every other day. Here in the south we have a lot of humidity, before the Gannaway system I had to pull out my drone reeds after every practice or they would get soaked on the second day.

It was actually easy to install. I plugged it in, and I had to open up one of my tenors. No corners to file off, and I can use drone valves without having to run hoses to each one of my drones.

Glyn_Mo
20-12-07, 06:35 PM
Anything that blocks the flow of air at the input is going to be restrictive!

The Ross system works in reverse, so much better at drying the air just before it hits the reeds.

What about the argument that with the Gannaway system, once the air has gone through the system, it then goes directly from the bag up your drones and therefore you'll get your hide bag harmonics etc, etc. Whereas, with the Ross system, the air's going through the kitty litter to the drones and therefore, you're losing some of your drone sound?

Or is this all just bullshit?

I'm speaking from the position of being about to get a sheepskin bag again, just to see if this "sheepskin and cane sound" is true or not!

PowerBoozer007
20-12-07, 06:40 PM
Gregg Abbott (Gold Medalist) claims he got a fuller drone sound when he ditched the tubes.

Glynny, make sure you record a before and after with cane reeds and synth reeds on both bags so we can try to detect a difference.

Bobby
20-12-07, 08:19 PM
personally, I think the bag has negligible effect on tone. How the bag and seasoning or gadgets handles moisture has a very big effect on tone. If sheepskin itself is supposed to be that which improves tone, then you should be able to simply coat the inside with a spray on water sealer and improve your drone sound instantly.

Just a theory...quite willing to accept clinical proof otherwise.

PowerBoozer007
21-12-07, 02:56 AM
Glyn could become famous if he were to prove there is no difference between a hide bag and a sheepskin!

I would love to try the experiment myself, but I'm no where near ready to try tie a sheepskin on!

Bobby
21-12-07, 03:16 AM
what the bag is made from.....

How it handles moisture and how airtight it is is important to tonal stability and playing the instrument comfortably.

Anyone willing to say that Livingstone, Gandy, and Lee etc sound inferior for using synthetic bags?

Scarlet O'Hair
21-12-07, 04:49 AM
Gregg Abbott (Gold Medalist) claims he got a fuller drone sound when he ditched the tubes

Learning lots in this thread.

I can HONESTLY say, I have a better drone sound without the tubes. I can also HONESTLY say I had a great drone sound with them....

I know that doesn't make sense, but I was happy with the sound of my pipes ( as was Jake and others) with the whole system intact (including home made drone valves ala Ringo.)

I've since made changes and have found the sound even more pleasing...brighter, warmer....( I will test it on Jake and the others next I see them)

Piper06
21-12-07, 06:03 AM
I use the K-valves in my for drone control. No affect in the sound. I change the valve to the chanter reed in the summer moths when we face the most humidity. I close it down. Now during the winter months it is wide open to allow more moist air in to the chanter.

MacFire
21-12-07, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the info on it guys - to me it looks like it would be great if maybe the tubes were bigger? Just so it didn't seem so restricting. I think I'm going to try it out to see what its like for me - best solution anyways lol.

I do see the point of the Ross tubes not giving the same tone as an open bag...but I don't want anything that causes restriction in my blowing hmmm:dunno:

Thanks again everyone! :bighug:

Glyn_Mo
21-12-07, 11:40 AM
Gregg Abbott (Gold Medalist) claims he got a fuller drone sound when he ditched the tubes.

Glynny, make sure you record a before and after with cane reeds and synth reeds on both bags so we can try to detect a difference.

Will have to get a recorder first. Can you recommend one?

Glyn could become famous if he were to prove there is no difference between a hide bag and a sheepskin!

Yup, I can see the Pipes|Drums headline now - "Morris "Blows" Away the Sheepskin Bag Myth!" No bad pun eh?!

I would love to try the experiment myself, but I'm no where near ready to try tie a sheepskin on!

Thought you were playing a Gannaway anyway?

vapypr
25-12-07, 02:52 AM
Most of my band now plays the Ross system. One of my students however, borrowed a Gannaway system. Don't like it. It is way too restrictive. There is a secondary hose that you can open to control moisture (I think). If the valve in the hose is anything but all the way open the pipes are almost unplayable.