PDA

View Full Version : shiny new

mark m
19-12-07, 10:34 PM
Hi all

Nice place here!

I'm about 3mths on the PC so I think I'm hooked... (I know, you've probably heard all that before). Not part of a band or any formal instruction - yet. We're all a bunch of hacks

To explain, I'm a member of a fire dept and we're looking to get a band going. We currently have 1 piper (not an instructor) who's garnered the support of our management and union. He's done a fair amount of ceremonies over the past few years. We've got about 8 on the PC and some interested drummers waiting in the wings. The plan is to see who's left in a year and if we've got enough we'll look for some REAL training and see if we can do anything.

I promise not to ask too many stupid newbie questions - much of this is still over my head but I find it interesting. I'm not only trying to learn to pipe but also would like to learn as much about the culture and band stuff as I can.

If anyone has any suggestions about what a begineer should be doing or how best to start up a band I'd appreciate any and all comments

Mark

PowerBoozer007
19-12-07, 10:37 PM
Welcome, there's a load of experience here, so don't be afraid to ask questions, too glad to help!'

Robbie.Crow
19-12-07, 10:39 PM
I promise not to ask too many stupid newbie questions
what end do i blow again?

welcome.... watchout fer vikki........ shes mad!

Lisa
19-12-07, 10:46 PM
Welcome Mark ;)

You'll have a blast around here... please join in on any conversation, put your 2 cents in and ask questions. We're all here to help.

Merry Christmas

mlf
19-12-07, 10:47 PM
Hello Mark m.
I'm not a piper but i can give you one piece of advice that will get you everywhere. NEVER be afraid to ask what you consider a stupid newbie question. If you need an answer then the question isn't stupid.

Welcome to the forums, ask away and just go for it.

Reid
19-12-07, 10:47 PM
:welcomepbf: :welcomepbf: :welcomepbf:
Welcome Mark. Ask all the questions you can. One thing I would strongly suggest is if you plan on continuing you really should get an instructor. Learning things the correct way will help you down the road.

jjpiper
19-12-07, 11:06 PM
Welcome mark m. I agree with milf and others. There are no stupid questions. One word of advice from me is to get an instructor right away. Even if it is only for a group lesson are part time. Or your bagpipe friend can help. And practice, practice, practice. You will have more people at the end of the year who are still interested. When going it alone people tend to get stuck or frustrated because they feel they are not progressing. Stick to it. The instructor will help keep you motivated and correct small mistakes before they become big ones and have to be relearned. Not try to scare you but speaking from how I learned, just like you. It wasn't until I joined the band and got some instruction that it all started to take off. Good Luck.

Robbie.Crow
19-12-07, 11:19 PM
the bit with the fire department :bg:

Itchyknee
19-12-07, 11:21 PM
Welcome Mark. Have fun.

:bobby:

mark m
19-12-07, 11:56 PM
I must admit, I'm overwhelmed by the respose!

I've been on lots of other forums but none as friendly as you all!!!

Reid and jj. Your point about proper instruction is well taken. We are beginning to realize that this will need to occur sooner than later.
Anyone have any suggestions for a good inst in Southern Alberta?

scaryguy - we are in Lethbridge

rpeitzsch
20-12-07, 12:39 AM
:party: :welcomepbf: :welcomepbf: :welcomepbf: :party:

KatieMc
20-12-07, 01:12 AM
Hi, Mark! A warm Mississippi :welcome2: to you!! Don't fret over asking questions, these people are great with beginners... I speak from experience!! :bg:

Bashful
20-12-07, 02:23 AM
:welcomepbf:

Glad you could join us! Any questions/problems, don't hesitate to ask! And don't worry about being a newbie...we all had to start somewhere and there were lots of questions that were asked along the way in the newbie days.

Enjoy your stay with us! :bg:

:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2:

:party: :party: :party: :party:

Later,

B

blythe
20-12-07, 02:56 AM
Welcome to the forums Mark....

Enjoy the craziness :woohoo:

:welcome2: :welcome2:

CanuckinGA
20-12-07, 03:24 AM
Welcome to the forums Mark.

Others have already made the point about getting an instructor so I won't belabour the point. :whistle: Trust me though, from personal experience it is much easier to learn bad habits than to unlearn them and learn things the right way.

janelleTG
20-12-07, 09:51 AM
Hi all

Nice place here!............................................. .....
I promise not to ask too many stupid newbie questions - .................

Mark

Why not, the rest of us do. :woohoo:
As somebody already said, no question is a stupid question.

A wise piper,... or was it a drummer,......anyway, some wise person said to learn this instrument properly you must be a perpetual student. So get use to asking questions, and keep on asking.
If you get the chance to sit with some experienced pipers, just sit, watch and listen. You will be amazed at what you will learn without even opening your mouth.

BTW G'day and :welcomepbf:

phyx
20-12-07, 12:13 PM
Welcome Mark! Like CanuckinGA says, I'm not going to say you need to get an instructor so you don't have to go back and unlearn everything you taught yourself, but I will say that you might want to get in touch with this guy:

Lethbridge Legion Pipe Band
David Kaminski
(403) 381-7042
lethbridgepipeband@yahoo.ca
http://www.geocities.com/lethbridgepipeband/

(taken from this link: http://www.lethbridge.ca/home/City+Hall/Departments/Leisure+and+Recreation+Services/Lethbridge+Organizations+Links/Arts+links.htm)

Even if you don't join his band, he might provide lessons, or might know someone in the area who's willing to teach. There's also contacts on that site for 2 different Highland Dance groups who might know some pipers in the area willing to teach. Hope this helps get you started. :beer:

Oh yeah...don't be afraid to ask questions. We having Piping Advisors on staff here who are always willing to offer some sagely advice--and everyone else will generally chime in too. :bg:

SDowns
20-12-07, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the Nut House where a straight jacket is optional, bowel movements can be taken anywhere, and the staff takes as many meds as the patients. :shtf:

Have fun and welcome aboard....

Bobby
20-12-07, 02:23 PM
:party: :welcome2: Mark!

Perhaps someone here can put him in touch with Alberta Caledonia or the Edmonton and District pipe bands?

In the meantime and to augment everyone's instruction potential, you may want to look into a series of books with CDs called Bagpipe Solutions, by John Cairns. Excellent learning and teaching material. I know a few people that are using them without an instructor and they are making good progress.

don;t be afraid to ask any questions or jump in on a conversation. We're a nice bunch of people.:bobby:

Reid
20-12-07, 03:16 PM

Nice that makes one more Albertan. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

mark m
21-12-07, 06:47 PM
Welcome Mark! Like CanuckinGA says, I'm not going to say you need to get an instructor so you don't have to go back and unlearn everything you taught yourself, but I will say that you might want to get in touch with this guy:

Lethbridge Legion Pipe Band
David Kaminski
(403) 381-7042
lethbridgepipeband@yahoo.ca
http://www.geocities.com/lethbridgepipeband/

(taken from this link: http://www.lethbridge.ca/home/City+Hall/Departments/Leisure+and+Recreation+Services/Lethbridge+Organizations+Links/Arts+links.htm)

Even if you don't join his band, he might provide lessons, or might know someone in the area who's willing to teach. There's also contacts on that site for 2 different Highland Dance groups who might know some pipers in the area willing to teach. Hope this helps get you started. :beer:

Oh yeah...don't be afraid to ask questions. We having Piping Advisors on staff here who are always willing to offer some sagely advice--and everyone else will generally chime in too. :bg:

I don't know if he's still around. He was the PM until this past fall but I will certainly check it out.
Thanks!

mark m
21-12-07, 06:48 PM
:party: :welcome2: Mark!

Perhaps someone here can put him in touch with Alberta Caledonia or the Edmonton and District pipe bands?

In the meantime and to augment everyone's instruction potential, you may want to look into a series of books with CDs called Bagpipe Solutions, by John Cairns. Excellent learning and teaching material. I know a few people that are using them without an instructor and they are making good progress.

don;t be afraid to ask any questions or jump in on a conversation. We're a nice bunch of people.:bobby:

i see quite a few are recommending this book. I will order it too.
Thanks

mark m
21-12-07, 06:49 PM
Please,please, PLEASE tell me you're not a Flames fan!!!!
Besides that, there are many people in southern Alberta who, i'm sure could help (favorite hockey team not withstanding)

OK. I won't tell you...

mark m
21-12-07, 06:51 PM
Nice that makes one more Albertan. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Thanks Reid - you're not too far at all. Who do you play for in Calgary?

PowerBoozer007
21-12-07, 06:53 PM
Reid and jj. Your point about proper instruction is well taken. We are beginning to realize that this will need to occur sooner than later.
Anyone have any suggestions for a good inst in Southern Alberta?

There are good instructors teaching on the internet too.

Some good coaching now can put you further ahead!

Reid
21-12-07, 06:54 PM
Thanks Reid - you're not too far at all. Who do you play for in Calgary?

I play for a grade 3 band called Rocky Mountain Pipe Band. Here's our website although it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

www.rockymountainpipeband.ca (http://www.rockymountainpipeband.ca)
:bgt:

mark m
12-03-08, 07:42 AM
Just thought I'd pass on an update - I'm still at it. Got the 1st tune down (AG) and ready to get onto the next one.
I'm not sure whether or not our "band" will get off the ground or not as the majority of the guys aren't exactly the model of consistency in practicing BUT I'm enjoying the journey! I'm not engaged in any formal one-on-one lessons, we're all kind of learning as a group from our "experienced" guy (4yrs piping for him). I realize that a true instructor would be allot more experienced and that if I'm serious I'll have to find myself one. For now, we're having fun and I suppose thats whats most important

I'll probably be looking for something more structured in the summer in both instruction and a band setting as my OCD won't allow me to do anything without jumping into the deep end :). What is holding me back right now is likely the long distances that I'll have to commute to find an instructor - just can't do it right now... but I will.
For now, most of what comes out of my PC is intentional so I'm happy

Billy
31-03-08, 08:32 PM
Hi Mark, I'm a new guy in this forum as well, but you'll find it not only helpful but extremely interesting